Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Dome

Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    If this is allowed to happen, I'm moving away.
    I certainly understand your sentiment. But, if he can 'save the dome' and destroy the building structure - why could'nt he put his 'On Cue' under the dome? I mean they have canopies over the gas pumps anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Interesting. While I can understand a restriction being placed on a buyer, that restriction is passed on to no matter how many owners come and go after, forever? Is there a time limit (sort of like a non-compete clause in a persons contract)??
    The link in post 52 is the Special Warranty Deed and Restrictive Covenants for the transfer from Chase Bank to Gold Dome, LLC. The only time limit in there was Chase Bank had to build a replacement facility within 1 year and within a 1 mile radius of the Gold Dome property, if they did not build a replacement facility in that time frame or distance, then the restrictive covenant would be vacated. There was no other conditions for release of the covenants and they do convey to all future owners. Since Chase built a facility one block away they are well within their rights to enforce the covenant.

If the roof could be saved and move it would make a nice pavilion cover for outdoor stage or some kind of general use project. Maybe incorporate as much of the interior as well. That floor is cool.

They could install gas pumps and incorporate a portion of the current building into the overall site plan.

Exactly zero reason to bring down the whole structure and likely more expensive.

I'm sure David Box is a nice guy, and I'm sure he's hit some major home runs...this is a strike out in the top of the 7th....

If he wants to put in an OnCue than maybe its in the best interest of preservationists to get the owners of the gas station across the street involved in protesting the gold dome demolition.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The link in post 52 is the Special Warranty Deed and Restrictive Covenants for the transfer from Chase Bank to Gold Dome, LLC. The only time limit in there was Chase Bank had to build a replacement facility within 1 year and within a 1 mile radius of the Gold Dome property, if they did not build a replacement facility in that time frame or distance, then the restrictive covenant would be vacated. There was no other conditions for release of the covenants and they do convey to all future owners. Since Chase built a facility one block away they are well within their rights to enforce the covenant.
    Yep. There is no "expiration date." It can be deemed unenforceable a few ways (mostly if a bank was built, and Chase ignored it), but none of them just based on time passing. I don't see Oklahoma, unlike other states are doing, limiting anticompetitive covenants appurtenant. But if that happens, like it did with race based covenants, it could be invalidated at some point in the very distant future.

As an amusing side note (to me at lease); an arcade or a laudromat would also be in violation of the covenant because they make change. (But I don't see that being enforceable.)

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post

Exactly zero reason to bring down the whole structure and likely more expensive.
    This is not always the case. It could actually be much more expensive to renovate/repair the building rather than tear it down and start anew. The representative from Box Talent I spoke to gave a brief description of the buildings issues and that included major leaks and structural issues with the Dome itself. (I had inquired about renting the space for an event, and due to the buildings issues it is not capable of hosting any events or even tenants)

I think what we are all overlooking is that this building may already be beyond saving, no matter who owns it.

8. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

Message from David Box to the "Save OKC's Historic Gold Dome" Facebook page:

We are meeting with the City , Uptown 23rd association, and talking to dozens of people who have ideas right now. There aren't any real specifics that can be done. Chase Bank has two signs that hamper the redevelopment for the property around the dome , we have the easements and are trying to see if there is a possibility of working with them on these.

There is a covenant that prevents it from being a bank - which if that was removed it would be nice because then it could go back to its intended use. The building really needs to be a one-user building-- that is what it was designed for. Everything else is just going to be mismatched and no one is going to be really happy or profitable - this is basically what has happened over the last 9 years or so.

I am sure one place would do well but the others would suffer , you can't really have a concert venue until 2 am, then have someone come into there office at 8 am. They just won't work.......... without major changes.

So to answer your question someone just needs to buy it that wants to use the entire building , then develop the outside land - which is going to be tough with those signs. The architectural plans that were put together were to save to dome for a retailer - and those were cost prohibitive. We can argue back-and- forth on what the cost is - so lets say it is only $1,000,000 to fix the building up - which is about 1.4 less than a certified architect stamped it - then you have almost 2 million in a building that you need to lease for 20 K per month to break-even. That is tough to make work...........

so Richard Mize was correct in the paper in a lot of ways when he said it needs to be a nonprofit or donation-based project for long-term survival. I will continue to work with the City, talk to people who are interested, and talk to the different associations to see if there is a better plan. I will always go back to this - it is a one user building. That is what it was designed for and what it needs to be ........ a mismatch won't make it work........

9. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

10. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

David Box via the "Save OKC's Historic Gold Dome" Facebook page

We had a excellent meeting with the 23rd Street association today to come up with ideas. Our team and the association thought it went well. No promises but at least there are more heads at the table. It was nice to go over the situation and how we got here with parts of there board.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    David Box via the "Save OKC's Historic Gold Dome" Facebook page
    Imagine if this had been 2 or 3 years ago before there was an active association. If somehow the Gold Dome is saved, we gotta be thankful for all the small players that have contributed to the pride that has helped resurge 23rd to the point of having a 23rd Street association that is active.

12. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

So where are all the picketers like we had against Walgreens?

But has anyone wondered if this was being used as a publicity stunt to attract attention to the place? What better way to get people talking about it than talk about tearing it down? I'm not saying that's what happened, but it is at least a possibility given the quick turn around to putting the demo on hold was after the buzz started.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    So where are all the picketers like we had against Walgreens?

But has anyone wondered if this was being used as a publicity stunt to attract attention to the place? What better way to get people talking about it than talk about tearing it down? I'm not saying that's what happened, but it is at least a possibility given the quick turn around to putting the demo on hold was after the buzz started.
    From the information we have, it doesn't really seem like a publicity stunt...it seems like a call for help.

14. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    I was trying to search for one of those "gold and silver" threads, but this kept coming up instead, lol!

so anyway, did they tear this thing down yet?

IIRC, I thought the owner claimed there was only a small time frame until he moved to scrape the lot.

I still would like to see it repurposed. It would make a great addition to the downtown airpark venue. Put a stage under it or a bunch of vendors. Some restrooms would be nice too.

No, it hasn't been demolished and that is not going to happen without a big series alerts here (and no doubt by Steve Lackmeyer as well) and an organized fight.

I believe the owner is still trying to figure out what can be done, including the possibility of selling to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No, it hasn't been demolished and that is not going to happen without a big series alerts here (and no doubt by Steve Lackmeyer as well) and an organized fight.

I believe the owner is still trying to figure out what can be done, including the possibility of selling to someone else.
    I thought Steve had announced he was taking a more-or-less permanent vacation from OKCTalk....

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I thought Steve had announced he was taking a more-or-less permanent vacation from OKCTalk....
    which he has said several times ... and while he has not been posting .. there is little to no doubt that he was on this site yesterday

Steve's latest:

Landmark Gold Dome in Oklahoma City set to be sold, preserved | News OK

Premium Access for the first day.

Great news, although the plan is for the new owners (TEEMCO), a company providing environmental services for oil & gas companies, plans to make it offices for their 65-person staff.

News conference later today with more details. Ground-breaking planned for July.

Seem to be very committed to renovation and preservation.

TEEMCO is currently based in Edmond:

TEEMCO, LLC - Home

This is just one man's opinion, but I like the idea of a company putting their headquarters there. As much as I liked the idea of shopping and a restaurant/club there, this will bring consistent business to the surrounding areas at least five days a week and it will preserve the Gold Dome instead of it being torn down and another strip mall put in its place. Now I just wish someone would do something with the old Rainbow Record across the street. That thing is such an eyesore right now.

23. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

There seems to be a lot going on in this area. I noticed yesterday that Paladin Energy bought the former Post Office building at 1117 NW 24th and is converting it to offices.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    There seems to be a lot going on in this area. I noticed yesterday that Paladin Energy bought the former Post Office building at 1117 NW 24th and is converting it to offices.
    That's exciting. That building needs some work.

25. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    That's exciting. That building needs some work.
    The permit was for a $195,000.00 remodel.

Thread Information