Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Choctaw Town Square

Default Re: Choctaw Town Square

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb215 View Post
    I've read where this is supposed to be a "walkable" development. The main problem with Choctaw currently is that everything is so spread out, so if they can get a good variety of retail, entertainment, specialty shops, and maybe a decent department store in that development that'd be great. At this point though even going west from McDonald's, there's not much to offer, the Braum's building has been vacant for what 2 years or more?

There is certainly need to develop something along 23rd, but I hope that the city doesn't get carried away and try to be "Edmond South".
    So are you saying that walkable developments or more than one development make a suburb "Edmond South"?

I don't see how you could be against either thing.

2. Default Re: Choctaw Town Square

What is the deal with some people disliking Edmond so much?

Not 100% certain but he stuff strewn about the field looks like the beginnings of a new water tower.

That was kinda what I thought today as I looked again. I dont remember a tower being a part of that complex, but maybe it is. Funny, MWC wants a tower out of their new town square, but it looks like Choctaw is building one to be in theres.

Have always felt that water is a reason that businesses arent in Choctaw. Most everything out here is a water well, hard to talk Lowes into opening a store with a water well to run it.

5. Default Re: Choctaw Town Square

Yeah I never understood why Choctaw won't get on the utility front. It seems like water/sewer would be ground zero for a city. Maybe 11K people can't support the cost to start the infrastructure? But to me, i don't see why they wouldn't start somewhere though. Plan it out, use bond issues to start aquiring land for a treatment/water plan and then continue bonds to pay for the creation of the actual system. No sense in having it before you can use it.

While I'm sure the water/sewer is limited due to population vs land mass, a great deal of Choctaw has the option of being on city water. Sewer- not so much. The towers are for reserve and emergency to limit the dependency on the end provider which I assume is Okc or MWC.

I only moved here a few years ago and I love what I know about Choctaw, hope it keeps growing yet maintains its charm. I have just always been amazed that I grew up in rural southeastern oklahoma on a farm and we had city water (actually a member of a rural water district, but its still city water) and we moved here (what i call the city) and now have a water well. I had chickens, cows, caught our own fish for the fish fry every weekend, never swam in a pool but did in lots of horse tanks, and never had a water well till i moved to the city. I actually have a great job, live in a very nice home in a very upscale neighborhood in Choctaw (my family cant believe that my shop out back is bricked), but i will always be from the country. I enjoy Choctaw every day and hope to live here for a long time, but would like to see some shops and dinning options open up around here in time.

We are looking into building a home in choctaw, coming from a small town, I am a little worried that this town square IS going to turn Choctaw into a new mwc, which we dont want to live in. We want to stay with the small town atmosphere, low traffic, low crime, and a little bit of a drive away from a highway. Should we look into other small towns instead?

I may be a bit biased but living on the outskirts of Harrah I find it to be a good balance between city and town. You get all the town perks like sewage, trash and water, plus a police dept and fire dept along with a nice rural feel since it is a very small town. But the nice thing is it's barely ten minutes from Choctaw, fifteen-twenty minutes to Midwest City and also twenty minutes from Shawnee.

Just kind of a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by aknight730 View Post
    We are looking into building a home in choctaw, coming from a small town, I am a little worried that this town square IS going to turn Choctaw into a new mwc, which we dont want to live in. We want to stay with the small town atmosphere, low traffic, low crime, and a little bit of a drive away from a highway. Should we look into other small towns instead?
    no town center will not turn choctaw into anything like MWC ... it will make choctaw a better place to live

I lived in The Choctaw Area for years.
    For the sake of Balanced Development,
    hopefully this one is on the SOUTH side of NE 23 . . .?

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I lived in The Choctaw Area for years.
    For the sake of Balanced Development,
    hopefully this one is on the SOUTH side of NE 23 . . .?
    the train tracks run just south of NE23rd so there is no room to develop along 23rd in choctaw

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the train tracks run just south of NE23rd so there is no room to develop along 23rd in choctaw
    How often do trains even come along out there? If I'm not mistaken, isn't that the line that the Arkansas-Oklahoma RR operates on?

"the train tracks run just south of NE23rd so there is no room to develop along 23rd in choctaw"

Point well taken.
    At least in regard to The South Side of NE 23 between Henny on the west--possibly even unto Hiawassee--and The 62 East Viaduct (a.k.a. The Choctaw Bridge/Overpass/Skateboard Ramp).
    I sit corrected.

(not to mention that the specific wilderness area in question is a watershed/flood control/maybe even endangered species habitat.)

Good call. =)

Maybe this project was taking so long because they knew this news was about to be confirmed.

http://newsok.com/walmart-planning-t...adlines_widget

Oy veigh.

Doesn't Walmart already have a Stuporcenter over at 23rd and Douglas?
    (That's, like, only a few miles west of Choctaw.)

Oh. Wait. I forgot that Golden Goose Flea Market is draining off most of their business . . .

Sorry,but this is STUPID!Choctaw doesnt have the population base for a WM and there is allready one just West on 23rd and Douglas.Are they hoping to draw from Jones,Harrah,Nicoma Park?

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    Sorry,but this is STUPID!Choctaw doesnt have the population base for a WM and there is allready one just West on 23rd and Douglas.Are they hoping to draw from Jones,Harrah,Nicoma Park?
    I agree this is ridiculous, MWC WM is ten miles if that away from Choctaw and while Choctaw could use a state of the art grocery store, Harrah has a perfectly fine Country Boy Market that is a very large supermarket.

I feel for Jeff Williams of Williams grocery and Danny Boyle at Country Boy, they've both been so kind to the communities around us that I pray the business they've built will be maintained.

OK,A Movie theatre in Choctaw but not ONE in MWC?

This is all great for Choctaw and generating revenue. If the theater is decent, it'll keep people from going to the standard theaters in the area (obviously won't compete with the Warren for experience).

this theater and supercenter will be closer to those living on the east side of MWC than even the MWC shopping areas .. east MWC/west choctaw is an area that is growing crazy fast ..

and this new Wallmart supercenter will be almost 6 miles aways from the one at 23rd and douglas

24. Default Re: Choctaw Town Square

this is speculative at best, but I heard some time ago that Tinker actually gave incentives to employees who built homes farther away from the base... and coupled with the East is in initiative, i'm not surprised of the increase in that area.

25. Default Re: Choctaw Town Square

I doubt that's the case....why would tinker care where you live? Plus why would they give incentives while they are making staffing cuts and are at a hiring freeze?

Thread Information