Widgets Magazine
Page 179 of 217 FirstFirst ... 79129174175176177178179180181182183184 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 5406

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

It appears the second article linked is a decade-old opinion piece talking about a series of skybridges as a means of transport throughout a city. It does not address the obvious use of them, connecting a hotel to the convention center it serves, allowing catering services to cross safely. As already demonstrated in this thread (or the hotel thread, they both overlap), any use for people is secondary and does not, in fact, prevent people from using street access. I haven't seen anyone (until just a few posts ago) suggest (from the article): "Elevated walkways as an urban design (or even suburban design) element".

Blog Entries

Back to the food options. . .

There isn't anything wrong with fast food. Personally, I don't frequent that 'Benson, draw my bath crowd' food establishments--where you wait so long you forgot what you ordered. Excellent places for those who like and can afford great-fine cuisine dining.

Raised among the OKC peasant population where there were always an abundance of restaurants like Beverly's Chicken-in-the-rough--N.W. 23rd, Kips' Home of the Big Boy, Boulevard Cafeteria, Cattlemen's Steakhouse, Krispy King Fried Chicken,Village Pancake House, Jeff's Cafeteria, Adair's Cafeteria, Furr's, Spaghetti Factory (Paseo), Sleepy Hollow, Grady's Hamburgers, Gary's BBQ (current Greyhound site), Butler's, Leo's, Pulliam's & Big Beef BBQ restaurants--yum, those were/are nice food establishments--many with great distinct taste.

Majority of these places are gone & with them the original owners' great recipes were buried.

We live in a different era where patrons want their food right this minutes or sit down to a great wine & dine evening. We could use a combination of all three. There just doesn't seem to be many options anymore.

3. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    It appears the second article linked is a decade-old opinion piece talking about a series of skybridges as a means of transport throughout a city. It does not address the obvious use of them, connecting a hotel to the convention center it serves, allowing catering services to cross safely. As already demonstrated in this thread (or the hotel thread, they both overlap), any use for people is secondary and does not, in fact, prevent people from using street access. I haven't seen anyone (until just a few posts ago) suggest (from the article): "Elevated walkways as an urban design (or even suburban design) element".
    I've specifically defended the use of a sky bridge on this particular project multiple times in this very thread, so you're barking up the wrong tree here. In fact I'm pretty sure I'm the person who first cited the reasons you mention.

A sky bridge is appropriate for the CC-Omni connection and inappropriate in almost any other setting. This also goes for pedestrian walkways spanning city streets. This thinking is in no way dated and in fact has even more acceptance among planners today than it did a decade ago.

4. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    IMO two parcels of land in OKC's core are overpriced; Producer's COOP Mill & the old downtown Ford site. My prediction is that the owners of these parcels will probably look back on their decision to hold out for more. Just don't think they will get their asking price now or within the next decade.
    Producer’s co-op is currently under contract to a known and very successful developer who is very far along with plans for the site, and as far as I know the old Fred Jones Ford site has never been listed for sale. That site is owned by a partnership which includes some of the most active and successful downtown developers of the last decade, and they have indicated both publicly and privately that they have long-term plans to develop the site themselves. So, not sure this was very sound analysis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I've specifically defended the use of a sky bridge on this particular project multiple times in this very thread, so you're barking up the wrong tree here. In fact I'm pretty sure I'm the person who first cited the reasons you mention.

A sky bridge is appropriate for the CC-Omni connection and inappropriate in almost any other setting. This also goes for pedestrian walkways spanning city streets. This thinking is in no way dated and in fact has even more acceptance among planners today than it did a decade ago.
    Agree with the sky bridge. Those tourists who want to tour the city will get out on foot or use the streetcar. That's why I'm in favor of giving free tokens to the conventioneers who ride our novelty streetcar. While we're at it; let's make the streetcar available on Sundays.

6. Default Re: Convention Center

Agree with the sky bridge. Those tourists who want to tour the city will get out on foot or use the streetcar. That's why I'm in favor of giving free tokens to the conventioneers who ride our novelty streetcar. While we're at it; let's make the streetcar available on Sundays.
    There is still work being done behind the scenes to provide Sunday service.

Regarding sky bridges, they are just as bad in areas fequented primarily by locals. They promote high vehicle speeds, they don’t acknowledge other transit modes such as bicycles, they make walking less safe for those still on the sidewalk, and they actively discourage street-side retail and services.

Blog Entries

Agree, with all of the above.

Producer’s COOP is currently under contract to a known and very successful developer who is very far along with plans for the site, and as far as I know the old Fred Jones Ford site has never been listed for sale. That site is owned by a partnership which includes some of the most active and successful downtown developers of the last decade, and they have indicated both publicly and privately that they have long-term plans to develop the site themselves. So, not sure this was very sound analysis.
    Good news, sounds like exciting plans Urbanized. Must be something big that will impact downtown; seriously, I'm willing to hold my breath--you obviously have more knowledge that we know you will share with the rest of us when the time comes--looking forward.

In all seriousness, don't think many conventioneers will be looking forward to riding bicycles around the core (sarcasm). IMHO, our streetcar will be a big hit among tourists. Definitely understand the walk-ability safety movement in major cities' trend--just don't trust these drivers.

Glad to hear that the Sunday streetcar service is still being considered. How about some free tokens for conventioneers since there will be a streetcar fare?

8. Default Re: Convention Center

I certainly am not on the inside on the Ford Center site - and I think it has definitely been backburnered though I have no doubt about the ability/means of the owners. Regarding the co-op I have a bit more information but definitely not privy to everything.

Understand and agree, I think we might be going in circles around the same point. Like I said, I haven't seen anyone propose them as a means of transport around OKC until a few posts back. As a means of transport, they make little sense. My point was just that the article didn't really do much to address the one actual use for them. It's like slicing your skin with a knife. 99% of the time, really stupid idea. To remove the melanoma, really excellent idea.

You know, I realize the 'hospitality industry' long ago took away amenities and started nickel and diming everything, but I think the hotel that did this would really be hitting on something, especially if it were a convention hotel. Someone here for a week or a weekend, give them a couple tokens and tell them red line takes you here, blue line takes you there, yellow line has this, orange line has that. Especially those hotels that charge really high valet fees per night, regardless if you are in and out or park the whole weekend and explore the city. Rising tide lifts all boats, the investment of a couple tokens would put way more than that into multiple wallets, plus it would be a really great selling feature. Worst case scenario people keep the tokens as souvenirs, in which case the city still gets the money.

I think people are underestimating the impact even the “vaguely connected to the bus system” streetcar will have. I drive for the two prominent rideshare companies when I’m bored. When I’m driving downtown, a good 50-60% of my trips are literally Bricktown to midtown or midtown to Bricktown. I usually just drive the path of the rails where possible. There’s going to be a lot of potential riders.

Edit: another thing. We get a LOT more visitors than I ever imagined.

12. Default Re: Convention Center

Since construction is starting on the CC, and organizers generally want to plan in advance, has there been any word on advance bookings or how inquiries are running?

13. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    ...Edit: another thing. We get a LOT more visitors than I ever imagined.
    The average resident has no idea whatsoever. Also, they’re not just in Bricktown, as I’m sure you can attest.

There is still work being done behind the scenes to provide Sunday service.
    We are working on it. Time will tell.

16. Default Re: Convention Center

^^ for the success of the streetcar, this is a MUST-BE scenario.

As was mentioned, most residents and definitely ALL visitors have no idea about the streetcar or what the city is doing transit wise UNTIL THEY SEE IT. If Sunday is the day where nearly everyone has time off, we need to have all amenities available to not only use but to educate and inform. I'm not saying the streetcar needs to be running at rush hour frequencies; just maybe something like 9am-8pm with 30-minute headways maybe greater during the afternoon period - just enough to get noticed by the odd resident coming downtown or visitor whose only here for the weekend. Perhaps they'll use it but if not I can guarantee you they'll remember it and spread the word.

That's much better than, "OKC had some rails in the streets but I didn't see any trains - what a waste of money"
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

You can already see the outline of the convention center in these 2 photos from Saturday.

Also notice they have started the demolition of Broadway which will be located about a half a block to the east.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Also notice they have started the demolition of Broadway which will be located about a half a block to the east.
    Could you clarify what this will look like?

To the east of the convention center, Broadway will be shifted slightly east.

Aww, okay. I was incorrectly picturing Robinson being shifted and thus making me confused. Thank you.

Pete, so I have been assuming but want to verify... the area just south of the Fairfield, and East of the convention Center is just going to be the ramps and docks for the convention center, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    Pete, so I have been assuming but want to verify... the area just south of the Fairfield, and East of the convention Center is just going to be the ramps and docks for the convention center, correct?
    I think this angle gives the best idea of how that area will look:

thank you sir... so where will the loading/Unloading Docks be? most large convention centers hide them in alleys or things... but we don't really have that.. so curious where they are going to try and hide them

The loading docks are what you see at the very back of that image -- the darker area.

Thread Information