Widgets Magazine

Thread: Clark Crew BBQ

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by RedDollar View Post
    You're right. Dead on. Its all about what each person likes. Entirely subjective.

But the competition thing is a whole different world. Judges take one bite of the meat, and that meat has to stand out. So everything the cooks do is focused on packing flavor into that one bite.

And there's a major governing body of these comps, that's KCBS, Kansas City Barbecue Society. They set the standards for how the meat is judged for appearance, tenderness, and flavor. So the cooks focus to meet those standards. I don't know who died and made KCBS the barbecue God ( or Daniel Vaughn ) that only they know barbecue.

If you've got thirty minutes to watch a YT vid, this one is a great illustration of the diff in comp meat. There's now steak grilling competitions, and this fella who was once on BBQ Pitmasters TV show is now entering steak comps.

Here he prepares four rib eyes in four different ways. Me in my back yard, I'm good with the salt/pepper version. And I think what he's doing to the other three is akin to putting A-1 or Heinz 57 on a steak after its grilled. But if every competitor just used salt/pepper .... there would be no separation to the judges who are taking one bite.

( side note, three of products he's putting on these steaks come from Oklahoma .... Butcher BBQ, Head Country, and Kosmos )

https://youtu.be/_zx-qrdRuac
    I feel the same way about what Harry (and most of those steak comp cooks) do to their steaks. Especially the grill mark stuff. I flip my GrillGrates over to the flat side so I can get an all-over sear on them.

I tried making a steak the same way as Kosmo in one of his videos and it was awful. Too salty, too much seasoning, etc. I'm a fan of salt and pepper on my steaks, but sometimes use an SPG off the shelf that has some garlic powder and other complimentary flavors. Just depends on my mood, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I feel the same way about what Harry (and most of those steak comp cooks) do to their steaks. Especially the grill mark stuff. I flip my GrillGrates over to the flat side so I can get an all-over sear on them.

I tried making a steak the same way as Kosmo in one of his videos and it was awful. Too salty, too much seasoning, etc. I'm a fan of salt and pepper on my steaks, but sometimes use an SPG off the shelf that has some garlic powder and other complimentary flavors. Just depends on my mood, I guess.
    After smoking my streaks on the Kettle at low temps, I sear them on a griddle on my gasser so I can get an all over sear.

I'm not about beauty marks.

I make my own rubs for brisket and pork but hen it comes to steaks....the montreal steak seasoning is dead on for flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I make my own rubs for brisket and pork but hen it comes to steaks....the montreal steak seasoning is dead on for flavor.
    Do you make your own Montreal, or is there one you like to buy?

Do you make your own Montreal, or is there one you like to buy?
    It is made by Grill Mates. The spicy is good also but my kids don't like the heat albeit mild heat

6. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Montreal Spicy is the best. I use it on so many things.

7. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

I feel the same way about what Harry (and most of those steak comp cooks) do to their steaks. Especially the grill mark stuff. I flip my GrillGrates over to the flat side so I can get an all-over sear on them
    LOL... Yeah I've cracked a joke a few times that my steaks have one big grill mark the size of the steak.... I mean why contain that flavor to just some little strips of meat?

Thread Information