Widgets Magazine

Thread: The Journal Record?

Default The Journal Record?

Does anyone have an online subscription to The Journal Record?

The Daily Oklahoman has completely driven me crazy with their videos, short story format, and news aggregation style (yes, we all now know there is a newspaper called The Washington Examiner, thank you for linking every political story to their website). Every time I read their site, I feel like I'm being observed in a weird ADDHD or Tourette's experiment...

So, is The Journal Record worth the $142 per year? I'm really looking for general Oklahoma City news, an aggregation of National/World news that has an Oklahoma slant, and maybe a good mix of Op/Ed pieces that have an Oklahoma flavor.

Thanks for the help.

Default Re: The Journal Record?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomPaine View Post
    I'm really looking for general Oklahoma City news, an aggregation of National/World news that has an Oklahoma slant, and maybe a good mix of Op/Ed pieces that have an Oklahoma flavor.
    Unless the Journal-Record has changed greatly since the last time I looked at it, you won't find what you are looking for in its pages. I don't recall any national news at all, and the local news was primarily that of the business community. No crime coverage, no sports, no op/ed. It's primarily what its name implies: a journal for publication of legal notices.

The closest thing I've seen to what you say you want is a free weekly, The Oklahoma Gazette. Since it's a weekly you won't find any breaking news in it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Unless the Journal-Record has changed greatly since the last time I looked at it, you won't find what you are looking for in its pages. I don't recall any national news at all, and the local news was primarily that of the business community. No crime coverage, no sports, no op/ed. It's primarily what its name implies: a journal for publication of legal notices.

The closest thing I've seen to what you say you want is a free weekly, The Oklahoma Gazette. Since it's a weekly you won't find any breaking news in it, though.
    Thanks. I use the Gazette to get info on upcoming events in OKC, but not much news. I know the Journal Record has a mostly business slant, but don't know how in-depth overall.
    Here's their top stories today:
    TOP STORIES
    Chesapeake shareholder files lawsuit over McClendon loans
    Colcord Hotel to open new restaurant
    Emergency call center operators at risk for post-traumatic stress disorder
    Energy MBAs on the rise
    These Walls: Raindrop Turkish House
    Cellphone texting scam hits Oklahoma
    Economics professor explores price gap between oil, natural gas prices
    YMCA seeks to expand Y Achievers program for high school students
    OU/TU medical school project could exceed $200M

Looks like they're a little more diverse than strictly business...

4. Default Re: The Journal Record?

For a cleaner, less cluttered (no videos, etc) presentation of the news, Oklahoman subscribers have the option of www.oklahoman.com. I'd urge you to check it out if you're a subscriber, and if you're not, ask circulation if they can provide you with a temporary access to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    For a cleaner, less cluttered (no videos, etc) presentation of the news, Oklahoman subscribers have the option of www.oklahoman.com. I'd urge you to check it out if you're a subscriber, and if you're not, ask circulation if they can provide you with a temporary access to try it out.
    Thanks, I will check it out.

Steve, I'm a subscriber and I do check it out. Hopefully it will improve, but so far I find things easier at newsok.com. the oklahoman.com website just seems incomplete for some reason.

7. Default Re: The Journal Record?

It's a work in progress, I'm sure. The intent was to address the very sort of discomfort that ThomPaine mentioned...

It's a work in progress, I'm sure. The intent was to address the very sort of discomfort that ThomPaine mentioned...
    Apparently one has to set up a new account to use the new site. Seems like using the newsok login ought to be sufficient, but no luck on that front.

After I re-subscribed to the print edition, I went to the Oklahoman.com web site and created an account; I never bothered to do so at NewsOK.com. This lets me view the "print replica" which is an exact replica of the day's print edition, no fancy web effects. My only complaint with that is that I have to drill down through three levels of menu to get there -- there's no direct-access button on the home page.

For my aging eyes, the ability to display the page on the monitor and zoom it to larger type size is great, not to mention not needing to go outdoors on cold or rainy mornings to get the paper!

I prefer the content on NewsOK.com, but there are so many wigits and things going on in the background that I feel like I'm being searched by the TSA.

I can't speak for the online version, but my office gets the Journal Record. Its always a good morning read. It goes very in depth--probably too in depth for the casual reader---on local business, energy, and real estate stories. The energy reporting is top notch and my job was able to recruit at least one client based of a Journal Record story. It is pretty much standard literature across the metro for offices with at least one lawyer. I actually know lawyers who spend half their day trolling the legal publication section just looking at cases they can intervene in. My only complaint is they are starting to include a more Tulsa centric angle. I love the 918, but I really don't care if a new apartment complex is being built in Catoosa.

I've always been impressed with the biz section of the Oklahoman though, and if its just the whiz of videos and popups that bothers you its cheaper to get the online subscription to oklahoman.com

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I can't speak for the online version, but my office gets the Journal Record. Its always a good morning read. It goes very in depth--probably too in depth for the casual reader---on local business, energy, and real estate stories. The energy reporting is top notch and my job was able to recruit at least one client based of a Journal Record story. It is pretty much standard literature across the metro for offices with at least one lawyer. I actually know lawyers who spend half their day trolling the legal publication section just looking at cases they can intervene in. My only complaint is they are starting to include a more Tulsa centric angle. I love the 918, but I really don't care if a new apartment complex is being built in Catoosa.

I've always been impressed with the biz section of the Oklahoman though, and if its just the whiz of videos and popups that bothers you its cheaper to get the online subscription to oklahoman.com
    Thanks for the info, and I agree on the Oklahoman's business section. Much appreciated.

Thread Information