Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Default Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    While I agree that OKC has been the best drafting team, it has to be close with GS drafting Curry, Thompson, and Green in a four year span. It is interesting to note that OKC could have had Curry, picked four spots after James Harden, and Green, seven spots after Perry Jones III. Hopefully Presti's eye is still sharp and he scoops up the best talent of the next generation.
    The problem with these next several drafts, from what I've gathered, is the generational talents are few and far between. There's not going to be very many Durants or Unibrous to be had. I'm sure we'll keep plenty of the picks in-house, but I could also see us trying to move some of them for up and coming type guys on Rookie or below-market deals.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    The problem with these next several drafts, from what I've gathered, is the generational talents are few and far between. There's not going to be very many Durants or Unibrous to be had. I'm sure we'll keep plenty of the picks in-house, but I could also see us trying to move some of them for up and coming type guys on Rookie or below-market deals.
    You won't know who's out there; may have several sophomores who may want to declare early.

In 2015 draft, Phoenix selected Devon Booker the 13th pick; we had the 14th pick that year. Think if we could have moved up a few spots. Booker would have been an excellent replacement for Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Dunkrutka et al, your perspectives are encouraging. I loathe the naysayers who still question the viability of the market, a little nervous, not wanting us to fall to their nonsense, fail to support our team and potentially lose what has unquestionably been one of the most invaluable additions to the fabric of our ever-changing capital city. I can also acknowledge that this first 11 years has been a learning curve for ownership and GM. I fully expect that going forward our organization having been through these scenarios is much better equipped to navigate the nuances of NBA free agency.
    Off the top of my head I will suggest that Indiana, New Orleans, Charlotte, Orlando, Denver, Memphis, Phoenix and Sacramento have not had our success on and off the court. They are nowhere near as compelling and interesting at a national media level. I think the Thunder are a top ten national media interest team. They have a better job than almost any team for the last ten years in terms of being relevant and discussed.

For all the ridicule and scorn that Clay Bennett used to get through the 80s until the Thunder arrived (and I am in a unique geographic, business and social position to hear lots of it) he has been a model team governor. And I mean that as a part owner who is the team representative in all league business, I am not being snarky or politically correct. He helped develop the "San Antonio ideal team ownership composition model". Which is roughly 8 local partners who are in different businesses that can withstand economic challenges and never wipe out the team with one event. He actually was the San Antonio representative at the Board of Governors for several years when the Gaylord family was the largest shareholder of the Spurs around 1990 IIRC.

I believe the Thunder ownership is so wealthy, competent and committed to our city that we could survive even an event such as one of them dying, regardless of who. By any objective measure the Thunder has incredible success over the last 11 years. Optimistically I think the best is yet to come.

Blog Entries

Edward L. Gaylord (Bennett's father-in-law) provided him with a lot of experience when Gaylord was among the ownership group of the San Antonio Spurs. Gaylord owned media outlets in Dallas, Seattle-Tacoma and Colorado Springs where Clay was often sent to check on investments.

Bennett learned more when OKC applied for an NHL expansion franchise back in 1997; Mayor Ron Norick & Clay Bennett represented the Oklahoma City potential ownership group.

There are other billionaires who could purchase Aubrey McClendon's 22% ownership like Harold Hamm (richest individual in Oklahoma), Tom & Judy Love, David Green & Lynn Schusterman. It doesn't have to be anyone in state.

Current Thunder ownership group exclusive of McClendon:

Clayton I. Bennett, Chairman, Oklahoma City Thunder, Dorchester Capital
    William M. Cameron. Chairman and CEO, American Fidelity Assurance Company
    Everett R. Dobson, Managing Partner, Dobson Partnerships
    Robert E. Howard II, Chairman, Howard Investments
    George B. Kaiser, President, GBK Corporation, Chairman, BOK Financial
    G. Jeffrey Records, Jr., Chairman and CEO, MidFirst Bank
    Jay Scaramucci, President, Balon Corporation

McClendon's 22% will get sold...

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Off the top of my head I will suggest that Indiana, New Orleans, Charlotte, Orlando, Denver, Memphis, Phoenix and Sacramento have not had our success on and off the court. They are nowhere near as compelling and interesting at a national media level. I think the Thunder are a top ten national media interest team. They have a better job than almost any team for the last ten years in terms of being relevant and discussed.

For all the ridicule and scorn that Clay Bennett used to get through the 80s until the Thunder arrived (and I am in a unique geographic, business and social position to hear lots of it) he has been a model team governor. And I mean that as a part owner who is the team representative in all league business, I am not being snarky or politically correct. He helped develop the "San Antonio ideal team ownership composition model". Which is roughly 8 local partners who are in different businesses that can withstand economic challenges and never wipe out the team with one event. He actually was the San Antonio representative at the Board of Governors for several years when the Gaylord family was the largest shareholder of the Spurs around 1990 IIRC.

I believe the Thunder ownership is so wealthy, competent and committed to our city that we could survive even an event such as one of them dying, regardless of who. By any objective measure the Thunder has incredible success over the last 11 years. Optimistically I think the best is yet to come.
    They already have once. Hopefully they won’t again for awhile.

Blog Entries

G. Ed Evans (ownership in Oak Tree National, Edmond) was an original member of the Thunder ownership group when the team was relocated from Seattle to Oklahoma City. The group was referred to as the 'Oklahoma Raiders' of the Emerald City.

Tulsa businessman George Kaiser purchased Tom Ward's previously reported 19.23 percent of the team.

Need not concern yourself about Kaiser purchasing McClendon's 22% and moving the team to Tulsa's BOK Center.

Blog Entries

Let's have some fun:

Tulsa Thunder?

Report: Oklahoma City Thunder minority ownership stake up for sale: http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/o...brey-mcclendon

Thunder minority owner George Kaiser currently owns 19.23 percent of the team he purchased from Tom Ward. If Kaiser were to purchase McClendon's 22 percent ($324.5 million.); he would become the majority owner (41.23%) in the franchise; what would stop him from moving the team 91 miles up the turnpike?

Correction: He would not be a majority owner; he would own more of the Thunder than any single investor.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Thunder minority owner George Kaiser currently owns 19.23 percent of the team he purchased from Tom Ward. If Kaiser were to purchase McClendon's 22 percent ($324.5 million.); he would become the majority owner (41.23%) in the franchise; what would stop him from moving the team 91 miles up the turnpike?
    Among dozens of other reasons...the other 59%. Having a larger ownership than any other individual still doesn't give you a majority. Gotta have greater than 50% for that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStrings View Post
    Among dozens of other reasons...the other 59%. Having a larger ownership than any other individual still doesn't give you a majority. Gotta have greater than 50% for that.
    Correction noted: Majority owner would need more than 50%, IIRC. He would not be a majority owner; he would own more of the Thunder than any single investor.

Got carried away, LMAO! Lately, concerned about the viability of the team in Oklahoma City; things like, will we at least be competitive. Will fans continue to support the team by showing up--not being a 'no show.' Are we in uncharted waters...

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Correction noted: Majority owner would need more than 50%, IIRC. He would not be a majority owner; he would own more of the Thunder than any single investor.

Got carried away, LMAO! Lately, concerned about the viability of the team in Oklahoma City; things like, will we at least be competitive. Will fans continue to support the team by showing up--not being a 'no show.' Are we in uncharted waters...
    Man....where does this come from?! Why would anyone be concerned about the viability of the Thunder?

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Man....where does this come from?! Why would anyone be concerned about the viability of the Thunder?
    Because of what happened to the Kings after their 1998-06 run. Granted, the Thunder appear to be much better ran than the Kings, at least.

Allow me to suggest those situations cannot be farther apart. As I sound like more of a know it all than usual-I started paying attention to the Kings 30 years ago, when Bill Russell was GM, Jerry Reynolds was coach and Kenny "The Jet" Smith was a rookie point guard. What I started learning then was the Kings played in a relatively new arena that was on the outskirts of town. Team ownership had some control of a large amount of raw land surrounding the arena, but the city wasn't moving that direction and they were constantly thwarted in their plans to develop the land. They sold to the Maloof family, who had owned the Rockets some years before and always regretted selling. Maloofs were not local and got in a tight during the Great Recession. Their only true risk was Steve Ballmer wanting A. Into the NBA and B. Getting a team to move to Seattle. When he got the Clippers he was sated.

I don't see the Thunder as being at risk in that fashion. Ownership is local. Ownership is happy in their arena and printing money. Team value appears to be compounding on a 20% annual basis and is worth 5X more than 11 years ago. The league is making incredible money overall. The league is still so traumatized by the reaction to the Sonics moving that they don't want any teams to move again, if at all possible.

Those shares are heavily restricted and have limited control over operations. Clay Bennet controls the team.

“It’s difficult to pinpoint a value for McClendon’s stake, which comes with voting rights but few other perks, according to the people. There’s no representation on the board or decision-making authority. In such cases, buyers will often seek to apply what’s called a limited partner discount, taking into account the absence of control or a say in franchise operations. Such discounts usually range from 10% to 20%.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...ut-up-for-sale

Blog Entries

Windy on ESPN says Thunder in no rush to move CP3 and will take time to work a deal with Miami due to the picks Thunder already has from them. Dusty/Mark R on Sports Animal speculated that OKC would have to give one of those up to get the CP3 liability moved.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Because of what happened to the Kings after their 1998-06 run. Granted, the Thunder appear to be much better ran than the Kings, at least.
    So we're worried about the thunder because of what happened to the kings after their run who, *checks notes*, still play in Sacramento?

The Sac ownership chaos was because the Maloofs went belly up in the palms, sold the beer business in New Mexico that still didn't cover the losses, and wound up having to sell the Kings. Not a lot, if any of it, was because the kings fell off in the W column.

16. Default Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Windy on ESPN says Thunder in no rush to move CP3 and will take time to work a deal with Miami due to the picks Thunder already has from them. Dusty/Mark R on Sports Animal speculated that OKC would have to give one of those up to get the CP3 liability moved.
    Thunder are in the good position here. They can just sit on CP3 and see if a team gets desperate as the season goes on and move him. Really no downside to keeping him besides him being unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Thunder are in the good position here. They can just sit on CP3 and see if a team gets desperate as the season goes on and move him. Really no downside to keeping him besides him being unhappy.
    Perhaps, but I definitely don't want his sourpuss attitude rubbing off on Big Shai or any of our other younger players.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    So we're worried about the thunder because of what happened to the kings after their run who, *checks notes*, still play in Sacramento?

The Sac ownership chaos was because the Maloofs went belly up in the palms, sold the beer business in New Mexico that still didn't cover the losses, and wound up having to sell the Kings. Not a lot, if any of it, was because the kings fell off in the W column.
    The lesson of Sacramento is that you can screw up everything and not lose your franchise. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The lesson of Sacramento is that you can screw up everything and not lose your franchise. Lol.
    The thunder are here to stay. If Bennet ever wanted to sell the team the Loves would buy it before you could blink. And I have a strong feeling that’s who is going to buy Aubrey’s share.

The thunder are here to stay. If Bennet ever wanted to sell the team the Loves would buy it before you could blink. And I have a strong feeling that’s who is going to buy Aubrey’s share.
    Hopefully they sit down with a Graphic Designer and update the patch a bit. It looks completely garbage right now, so much so that it affected the team’s play down the stretch. Cost us at least 2 games against Portland

Oh, and the logo, uniforms, and Storm Chaser outfits. It’s all so bad. I would be 100% fine just making the statement jerseys the primary logo and jerseys.

They did come reeeeeaaaaallllly close though.

That's a really good point and for some reason I wasn't even thinking of them as an option. They sit court side at every game and Judy was so fired up at one point that she was seen comically screaming at Lebron to "Suck it up". They would be an excellent edition to the ownership group.

Oh, and the logo, uniforms, and Storm Chaser outfits. It’s all so bad. I would be 100% fine just making the statement jerseys the primary logo and jerseys.
    Not that I absolutely hate any of it, it's all grown on me over the last decade, but I do wish we would do a total re-branding of everything. The logo, especially, should be updated.

Funny, I love the blue road uniform with "Oklahoma City" on the front. I think it is a straight knock off of a Knicks uni, but I think it has a timeless and classic look. But, I'm old and I freely admit.

People may not like that "Love's" logo, but I think it is at the period in the age cycle that it is old enough to be old, but not retro/cool. The kind of thing that in 5-10 years people will be clamoring for a return to the "Classic" logo.

Thread Information