Widgets Magazine

Thread: Chesapeake Business Practices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: Chesapeake Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Starmine analyst rankings show Chesapeake at a 7.6 which is a decidedly bullish rank. This is a composite of stock analysts covering the stock based on historical accuracy of their ratings. Chesapeake has dropped below 21 in recent weeks but has rebounded to above 25. No one is very concerned about the viability of the company in upcoming months, just that it is in the middle of a conversion to liquids while cutting back on gas production due to the extremely low price of gas. Sorry, Mike, I don't think CHK is the best managed company on the planet either but it's not going belly up anytime soon.
    I don't think anything horrible will happen soon and I hope it never does. I'll say it again - a healthy Chesapeake is CRUCIAL to the future of our city.

I've heard it said more than once that stock analysts find Chesapeake one tough cake to bake. It's just not easy to figure out. This past week, we saw some yells to buy, yes; but there's a lot of serious analysis that says sell (or hold) and analysis of CHK, as you know, changes on a dime. Just like the company.

Default Re: Chesapeake Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    I've heard it said more than once that stock analysts find Chesapeake one tough cake to bake. It's just not easy to figure out. This past week, we saw some yells to buy, yes; but there's a lot of serious analysis that says sell (or hold) and analysis of CHK, as you know, changes on a dime. Just like the company.
    Last fall's Forbes article mentioned that CHK intentionally OVER-discloses information, which has the ironic result of misleading analysts and providing cover for CHK to say, "Don't say we didn't tell you." The Forbes writer made a direct comparison with Enron in the disclosure of their complicated investment structures which almost no-one could figure out until later.

3. Default Re: Chesapeake Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Last fall's Forbes article mentioned that CHK intentionally OVER-discloses information, which has the ironic result of misleading analysts and providing cover for CHK to say, "Don't say we didn't tell you." The Forbes writer made a direct comparison with Enron in the disclosure of their complicated investment structures which almost no-one could figure out until later.
    That's exactly right. When there's bad news or figures to report, like in politics, it's in Friday afternoon "news dumps" and reports that are several fine-print pages longer than the usual corporate reports. Then, when you ask about it, it's usually kicked to PR or legal who, with a big smile, says they "don't talk about that or provide analysis" and after all, all the information is - right there! Somewhere.

Default Re: Chesapeake Business Practices

The interesting thing is how much Fracing has actually caused the price of natural gas to fall, because it produces so much natural gas.

Also no company is taking over a company w/ $10 billion in debt

Thread Information