Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    What "future big commercial development" is coming to this area where a WF would fit in?
    Mixed use urban village with 800 or so residential units(IIRC) above retail will be built in between showbiz and the Hilton Garden Inn.

I’m sure we’ll learn more about it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark356 View Post
    Dec. 14? As in 2 weeks? That's awesome! I thought it'd be mid-next year or something. I guess i should drive over to that area!

Yes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kfor.co...iz-cinema/amp/

I drive by almost everyday, they have been working hard to get the place ready.

4. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by jjjumper View Post

I hear Qdoba is coming...they make a big burrito! ��
    I'd be happy with a Qdoba... any dining options would be appreciated? Any one heard any other rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark356 View Post
    Dec. 14? As in 2 weeks? That's awesome! I thought it'd be mid-next year or something. I guess i should drive over to that area!
    PS, you might see Chuck Norris LOL

https://newsok.com/article/5616693/c...inemas-opening

Edmond sure is excited for their movie theatre.

On a side note it would be nice to see Kicking Bird square remodel with structured parking and a new mixed-use building placed on the parking lot in front of kicking bird... they could downsize the cinema, play more indie films, and create a 3 way roundabout with a stand alone box office like old fashioned movie theatres. My pockets aren’t deep enough yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    PS, you might see Chuck Norris LOL

https://newsok.com/article/5616693/c...inemas-opening

Edmond sure is excited for their movie theatre.

On a side note it would be nice to see Kicking Bird square remodel with structured parking and a new mixed-use building placed on the parking lot in front of kicking bird... they could downsize the cinema, play more indie films, and create a 3 way roundabout with a stand alone box office like old fashioned movie theatres. My pockets aren’t deep enough yet.
    Well they did give over $5 million to Showbiz to make this happen, and they have given over $12 million total towards Covell and 35 projects. So I guess the excitement better be there. They seem quite desperate to see something happen at Covell & 35. Why that is THE spot for city officials, Im not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Well they did give over $5 million to Showbiz to make this happen, and they have given over $12 million total towards Covell and 35 projects. So I guess the excitement better be there. They seem quite desperate to see something happen at Covell & 35. Why that is THE spot for city officials, Im not sure.
    i think the demographics are particularly strong in that area (see, e.g, https://www.wigginprop.com/listings/...20Coltrane.pdf)

it's a no-brainer for a big commercial development. and it's far enough away from residential to keep Edmond's NIMBY crowd at bay.

We stopped at the Starbucks there on the way down on the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving for a coffee and bathroom break. It was the first time that I have been on Covell in that area since before I moved to Austin in 2003. I was shocked at how much has been built there and looks like to be built in the future. I know that one of the discussion points when we did the Henderson Hills Baptist Church master plan for the I-35 location one point that was made often was Edmond's growth was in that direction and how the I-35 corridor is close to the geographic middle of the Edmond city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    i think the demographics are particularly strong in that area (see, e.g, https://www.wigginprop.com/listings/...20Coltrane.pdf)

it's a no-brainer for a big commercial development. and it's far enough away from residential to keep Edmond's NIMBY crowd at bay.
    As for demographics, whats there is good. Its just that there isnt much desnity. Look north, NE and East and its quite sparse. You right on the NIMBY part, but that shouldnt be an excuse to derail or ignore other good areas of Edmond a far as development goes.

I imagine they are just looking to the future and probably counting on it to be similar to when folks were building up in the middle of nowhere in the Quail Springs area, like Mercy Hospital, and the growth followed them later.

Moved the posts on Showbiz to that thread:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=44277

Any updates on this area? Expected more development to closely follow Showbiz, but it seems to have stalled out.

Quote Originally Posted by juhobra View Post
    Any updates on this area? Expected more development to closely follow Showbiz, but it seems to have stalled out.
    I noticed large earth moving equipment continue to rearrange soil in the development. They are either preparing for new projects or simply creating the development for possible new development. Either way it costs big bucks to have that much equipment moving soil.

I recently noticed a new development sign on the westside of the hotel entrance off of Covell. And, as you an imagine, it looks like a another strip mall type of development. While the sign indicates it will be a brick structure I can't but think it's just the same o, same o regarding commercial development. It's unfortunate that something very unique isn't being built which could set a part the hotel, theater development area. Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I recently noticed a new development sign on the westside of the hotel entrance off of Covell. And, as you an imagine, it looks like a another strip mall type of development. While the sign indicates it will be a brick structure I can't but think it's just the same o, same o regarding commercial development. It's unfortunate that something very unique isn't being built which could set a part the hotel, theater development area. Yawn.
    Doing something unique. large or transformative in Edmond is always met with resistance. Heck, even hotels along I35 is met with resistance. Thats why you see so many small, boring strip centers. They are easy to get approved and are usually small enough no citizens complain much about them.

How many more strip malls can be approved or supported, when many of them are sitting empty? That has to hurt some form of an economic report on square footage available across the city?

Spring Creek North, Lol

The McDonalds is open! Very excited to have a McDonald’s here as opposed going to central Edmond.

It's my understanding that the proposed sport complex at Covell and I35 will actually take place. If so, that area with food establishments and hotel will be super busy. Don't be surprised if you see additional hotel(s) being built in that area.

^^^ have you heard anything lately regarding the sports center?

The person who shared the info with me is pretty solid with their insight with the development. Stay tuned......

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    The person who shared the info with me is pretty solid with their insight with the development. Stay tuned......
    They need to put in the stoplights soon for the I-35 off ramps. Those left turns are dangerous.

The rumor mill is hot and heavy that Buc-ee’s was seriously eyeing Covell and 35. But the owner of the target property was wanting above and beyond the value of the lot. Got to the point Buc-ee’s corporate could only roll their eyes and walk away. That’d been a HIT and fit perfectly.

I was just thinking a Bucees would kill it somewhere between Guthrie and Edmond. Lots of land at Waterloo and Seward interchanges.

25. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Has there been any rumors of restaurants or stores on the land in front of Showbiz Movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    The rumor mill is hot and heavy that Buc-ee’s was seriously eyeing Covell and 35. But the owner of the target property was wanting above and beyond the value of the lot. Got to the point Buc-ee’s corporate could only roll their eyes and walk away. That’d been a HIT and fit perfectly.

Thread Information