Widgets Magazine
Page 39 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: University Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by mattjank View Post
    Agreed. I've never eaten at Tuckers, Torchy's, Zoe's Red Rock, and then thought about walking around the strip mall. Likewise, if I go to Target or Crest, that's the only place I go. I'd much rather drive home and walk my neighborhood, than walk through parking lots. This was sold as a lifestyle center, and I think of that as similar to the Domain in Austin, which once you get into the shopping/restaurant area you want to walk from place to place. There's shade, nice wide sidewalks, and plenty of spaces where the street is narrowed for pedestrian crossings. We got none of that. I haven't been shown that this development will be any more. We'll get an arena on a prime piece of land surrounded by parking. No thanks.
    actually what has been built was never the life style center

Quote Originally Posted by mattjank View Post
    Agreed. I've never eaten at Tuckers, Torchy's, Zoe's Red Rock, and then thought about walking around the strip mall. Likewise, if I go to Target or Crest, that's the only place I go. I'd much rather drive home and walk my neighborhood, than walk through parking lots. This was sold as a lifestyle center, and I think of that as similar to the Domain in Austin, which once you get into the shopping/restaurant area you want to walk from place to place. There's shade, nice wide sidewalks, and plenty of spaces where the street is narrowed for pedestrian crossings. We got none of that. I haven't been shown that this development will be any more. We'll get an arena on a prime piece of land surrounded by parking. No thanks.
    actually what has been built was never the life style center

3. Default Re: University Town Center

Has anybody heard a date on when the Carmax is supposed to open? It seems like they broke ground on it a long while ago.

4. Default Re: University Town Center

Hiring started about 15 days ago so I would imagine they will be up before the end of Summer.

It looked like they were putting a top layer of asphalt down when I went by there yesterday evening so it should be really close.

I could see World Market fill in a spot here. Their spot in Tulsa is similar (large strip of stores). I could also see a Container Store opening in Norman. Especially if the ones in OKC does well.

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    I could see World Market fill in a spot here. Their spot in Tulsa is similar (large strip of stores). I could also see a Container Store opening in Norman. Especially if the ones in OKC does well.
    Has anybody been to one of those Rooms To Go you see down along I35 in TX? Maybe one of those would be a good addition. Also, why wouldn't IKEA want to open up shop in the metro?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Has anybody been to one of those Rooms To Go you see down along I35 in TX? Maybe one of those would be a good addition. Also, why wouldn't IKEA want to open up shop in the metro?
    because OKC isn't a big enough market for them and our state is already split between two stores that would notice the decline in sales if they were to build one here... people in OKC go to the one in frisco, and I know a bunch of people in Tulsa who go to the one just north of Overland Park KS. And both of these stores know it, Frisco has been offering free delivery (on purchases over a certain amount) on items to OKC for awhile now... and last time I was at the one in Kansas, they were offering the same. It's not like Ikea isn't getting the business... so the question is would they really get that much more if they were to build one here, knowing it would affect sales at two other stores... all my opinion, of course

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    because OKC isn't a big enough market for them and our state is already split between two stores that would notice the decline in sales if they were to build one here... people in OKC go to the one in frisco, and I know a bunch of people in Tulsa who go to the one just north of Overland Park KS. And both of these stores know it, Frisco has been offering free delivery (on purchases over a certain amount) on items to OKC for awhile now... and last time I was at the one in Kansas, they were offering the same. It's not like Ikea isn't getting the business... so the question is would they really get that much more if they were to build one here, knowing it would affect sales at two other stores... all my opinion, of course
    Ah, well for me personally IKEA is not worth the drive to either Frisco or KS. And really I don't feel there is anything worth the hassle of driving near Dallas.. but that too is my opinion. I would definitely shop IKEA if it were in the state, more so if it was in the metro.

Blog Entries

Pete, what do you believe the future of this whole area/project looks like?

From the article:

Rieger explained to councilors the foundation still hopes to develop the land but will explore other options. The development could be reconfigured any number of ways both financially and in terms of what is included in the project.
    The OU Foundation has no timeline going forward about future development, Rieger said.
    I still think OU wants to eventually build an on-campus arena on the east stadium lots but it's probably at least 5 years out from happening.

As for UNP, I foresee more residential development especially apartments. I'd like to see more aviation-related businesses on the east side to take advantage of airport access.

They had run an extensive campaign promoting this project in order get the TIF money (I saw frequent promoted ads on Facebook) but there was a pretty good public backlash to the point they realized they didn't have the support to get the public money.

Also, have to wonder if the quick and permanent canceling of these plans has something to do with the new OU president.

I noticed last week when listening to KOKC 1520AM, the new host of the morning show is from Norman. Every morning last week he had a reporter from the Norman Transcript and few other people on to talk about what TIF districts are and to talk specifically about the details surrounding the UNP. He definitely seemed to be urging listeners to contact City Council members and engage in the conversation about the situation. Maybe he could be brought in on the great TIF discussion around the whole metro. Get more exposure on the subject.
    Last edited by PaddyShack; 07-25-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: wordsmithing

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They had run an extensive campaign promoting this project in order get the TIF money (I saw frequent promoted ads on Facebook) but there was a pretty good public backlash to the point they realized they didn't have the support to get the public money.

Also, have to wonder if the quick and permanent canceling of these plans has something to do with the new OU president.
    So is this arena project completely dead? Or are they going to try and move forward with private donations and/or self funding?

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    So is this arena project completely dead? Or are they going to try and move forward with private donations and/or self funding?
    It seems to be completely dead.

There doesn't seem to be a clear next step regarding a new on-campus arena or anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    Has anybody heard a date on when the Carmax is supposed to open? It seems like they broke ground on it a long while ago.
    Construction trailer is now gone so I expect they are getting close and may be open within the month.

This would be a perfect place for the OKC Metro's first Cost Plus World Market, I'm surprised OKC doesn't have one now especially with the liquor laws changing.

19. Default Re: University Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    This would be a perfect place for the OKC Metro's first Cost Plus World Market, I'm surprised OKC doesn't have one now especially with the liquor laws changing.
    The one in Tulsa is great. I was delighted to see them open it in the middle of town and not in the exburbs - no reason okc won’t get one or two soon.

CycleBar coming soon to shopping center beside Legacy Park next to La Madeleines. A2F65D1A-4897-46E5-B978-77CBB393AF2D.jpeg4D912F5C-FE7E-493A-878C-3892BB88C259.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by macfoucin View Post
    Found the updated CBRE map at the below link...then click on flyer.

Proposed businesses at UNP:
    Bad Daddy's Burger Bar by Torchy's
    Burlington by Guitar Center
    Petsmart by Guitar Center (assume the ENP location would close)
    Carmax by Chuck E Cheese

New businesses shown but not listed as Proposed:
    La Z Boy by Chuck E Cheese
    Ranch Steakhouse by Hibdons

Also shows future buildings north of Crest and a proposed activity center north of Embassy Suites.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink...CB0003&LL=true
    This is a quoted tweet from a couple of years ago, and the link is inactive. I noticed some dirt work going on next to Hibdon's. Any word on whether this is still going to be The Ranch, or will it be something else?

Quote Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
    This is a quoted tweet from a couple of years ago, and the link is inactive. I noticed some dirt work going on next to Hibdon's. Any word on whether this is still going to be The Ranch, or will it be something else?
    LOL. Threw me off when it said The Ranch by the Hibdons. I thought....wait, the Ranch is by the Mathis Brothers (ie owned). Mind is moving a little slow today

www.destinationnorman.com/data shows the Ranch Steakhouse at this same location.

Does anyone know if they are still building The Ranch next to Hibdon Tires and across from Chili's (NW corner of Conference Drive and 24th Ave)? Forms are up for concrete and utilities are in.

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    Does anyone know if they are still building The Ranch next to Hibdon Tires and across from Chili's (NW corner of Conference Drive and 24th Ave)? Forms are up for concrete and utilities are in.
    I don’t know for sure but the post above yours from January suggests it is.

Thread Information