Widgets Magazine
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontier City

Default Re: Frontier City

Why would Six Flags build any rides here? They are taking over the operating lease... so they will oversee the day to day operation. The park will remain owned by the current owners. It’s like an apartment management company dealing with tenants so the owners dont have to.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    I had no idea how complex the history of Tierco/Premier Parks/Six Flags was:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_City
    It's even more dramatic than the Wikipedia article.

I've heard the story in Oklahoma City business circles more than a few times, but most people have no idea how Tierco Properties took a dilapidated park in the early 80's, invested a ton of money in rides, landscaping, personnel training and between '84 and '95 had a beauty of a park. The Tierco guys hired all the right people (Gary Story, for one, in his first go round at the park) and really pulled off a miracle. The sad thing is, I can't tell you the names of the 2 guys that were executives at Tierco who pulled off the comeback in the 80's. But make no mistake, these guys behind the scenes saved that park. I have forgotten their names but will see what I can find.

Things got messy when the company, then re-branded as Premier Parks, began purchasing other amusement parks, hired Kieran Burke and then went deep into debt buying the the huge Six Flags chain. Yes, Premier bought Six Flags, not the other way around. The original executive team split on this and the original Tierco people were out and Burke and others were in and while it looked like a big beginning, it was really the beginning of the end of the great reinvention of Frontier City. Six Flags was headquarted at Frontier City, but it wasn't long before Frontier City became just another small park in a big chain

Burke has been back operating Frontier City under his "Premier Parks, LLC" (no relation to the old "Premier Parks") and has done fairly well operating parks across the country. But with the lease rights to Six Flags, Burke is out again. I think Frontier City is far better off with Six Flags operating the park.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Why would Six Flags build any rides here? They are taking over the operating lease... so they will oversee the day to day operation. The park will remain owned by the current owners. It’s like an apartment management company dealing with tenants so the owners dont have to.
    They could move old rides there from other parks.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    They could move old rides there from other parks.
    But why would they invest their own money to improve someone else’s Park? Maybe the relationship might spur some investments. I hope so! But I’m not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    But why would they invest their own money to improve someone else’s Park? Maybe the relationship might spur some investments. I hope so! But I’m not holding my breath.
    Obviously we don't know the details of the management agreement, but it would be nuts to think there weren't financial incentives built in for performance. And they'd actually be spending someone else's money. It's even better. They could sell some of their old rides while getting more capital.

Of course, with no information, at this point it's all conjecture.

EPR out of Kansas City owns the park. EPR owns Top Golf, Schlitterbahn, Magic Springs, Wild Waves Theme park. They will still own the 5 parks they just sold the lease rights to Six Flags to manage the parks for 23 Million. Here is the article from News OK. https://newsok.com/article/5595671/s...nt-park-leases

7. Default Re: Frontier City

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Obviously we don't know the details of the management agreement, but it would be nuts to think there weren't financial incentives built in for performance. And they'd actually be spending someone else's money. It's even better. They could sell some of their old rides while getting more capital.

Of course, with no information, at this point it's all conjecture.
    This is why they would be interested in doing this. Just like a hospital management company, the incentives to do capital improvements are there because you need people coming in for you to maximize your profits and thus the incentives for hitting certain profit goals (which requires butts through the doors). Creative things to make it work during more parts of the year like Octoberfest/Frightfest/now Festive, etc are all ways to help that. Make your park work for you as much as you can in a region where weather dictates a lot.

So you probably wont see some immediate crazy stuff going on, but i bet you see a measure approach over a longer term. Thrill rides are a way to bring interest without making such a large investment like a roller coaster. And if they get "boring", then they are cheaper to trade out. And you can do that with equipment from other parks (like mentioned above) and stretch that dollar out between your park ride investments so it maximizes your profit (as long as the ride is still operating safely). Being part of a larger group, makes that easier so you dont have to shop around for those rides as much.

Unfortunately it's not that easy to sell rides, especially the older park models that FC has. They did get a big new thrill ride a couple years ago that kind of flew under the radar. It replaced an older ride that spinned around and lifted up. Funnily enough, it was part of a ride rotation program between the Premier-managed EPR parks. We got the new ride from Magic Springs, the park in Washington got our old ride, and Darien Lake in NY got a tower ride from Magic Springs. Six Flags used to be famous for their "ride rotations" between parks, but I guess it was actually a Kieran Burke thing along.

Anyway, I might have said this before, but it bears repeating: Premier/PARC/ haven't gotten enough credit for the massive amount of work put into Frontier City since Six Flags sold it off. The park was in terrible condition a little over ten years ago, and since then there has been massive work on the infrastructure and buildings throughout the park, not to mention a new coaster and several new rides added throughout that time. They also expanded their concert program to be quite successful, and their halloween event has grown. This year is their first attempt at a Christmas festival.

A lot of people that heap criticism on the park haven't been there since the Six Flags days. True, their rides aren't as flashy as the bigger Six Flags parks, and the coaster collection leaves us a little wanting, but overall it's a nice little park.

It's certainly ready for the next big thing, and I hope Six Flags is being brought in because they are moving that direction. I'm not getting my hopes up with them, but I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of options these days with smaller, compact thrill coasters...

With Six Flags taking over Frontier City it didn't take long for Six Flags to raise the price of parking at Frontier City.
    It jumped from $9 dollars to $15 over the weekend. They also changed the Logo for Fright Fest to the Six Flags Fright Fest Logo. I can justify the higher price for parking if they allowed people with a season pass to park for free if they don't have the parking pass. Six Flags season passes and memberships has parking for free at all of their US parks if you use their pass. The jump this year is too soon and should of been raised next season when people can use their pass and memberships to park. Going to be interesting to them how they handle complaints about the parking price increase.

I got an email saying they are adding a new ride in 2019. Anybody have an idea what they are getting? It looks like they closed off the go karts. Maybe something new going in there? Interested to see if they start improving the park with Six Flags management.

Did they say new ride specifically, or just an announcement. Six Flags announcements chain-wide are being made Aug. 30.

Doesn't seem to be much hope for anything big at FC this year, but it's always hard to say what they are planning. They are historically pretty cheap, but it's high time for a real new ride. They also often surprise us with spring announcements.

The go-karts closing may just be for Halloween stuff. Would make a great scare-maze area.

I hope one day they do something with the land frontier city owns on the west side of Coltrane where they currently throw all the scarped old rides and etc. hope maybe they turn that into a huge parking lot and use the current parking lot for future expansion. But rumor is there is something new for 2019 and hopefully not another pop up carnival ride.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-08-19-21-41-50.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	14861 This is what the email linked to on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemotblue View Post
    With Six Flags taking over Frontier City it didn't take long for Six Flags to raise the price of parking at Frontier City.
    It jumped from $9 dollars to $15 over the weekend. They also changed the Logo for Fright Fest to the Six Flags Fright Fest Logo. I can justify the higher price for parking if they allowed people with a season pass to park for free if they don't have the parking pass. Six Flags season passes and memberships has parking for free at all of their US parks if you use their pass. The jump this year is too soon and should of been raised next season when people can use their pass and memberships to park. Going to be interesting to them how they handle complaints about the parking price increase.
    Parking is now $20 at Frontier City and White Water Bay. We purchased the parking pass for $30 at the beginning of the season and this included both parks. I am interested to see if they offer a parking pass again and how much it will be. Also, for the past few years, the season tickets were $75 for both parks. I would not be surprised if the price increases. If the prices increase six flags better offer some of better service for the higher prices. Right now nothing has changed.

Looks like just a revamped kids area
    https://www.sixflags.com/frontiercit...ons/newfor2019
    All of their park announcements can be found here
    https://www.sixflags.com/national/new-for-2019

It’s needed, that’s for sure. Even if I was hoping for something bigger.

From my Dads old slide collection,.., 1958.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	14878  

They know kids are the money makers. The kids want to go, the parents spend money to take them to the park. Not many adults just go to theme parks (unless there is a concert) by themselves anymore. Nowhere, not just here.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    They know kids are the money makers. The kids want to go, the parents spend money to take them to the park. Not many adults just go to theme parks (unless there is a concert) by themselves anymore. Nowhere, not just here.
    I know lots of adults without kids who love Theme parks and make several trips to them a year.

Seems like good business to me. Kids = parties and parents. If I'm honest a larger more entertaining,advanced kids area would be the only reason i would go to FC anymore. I think they should also consider something more advanced like motion rides and interactive runs. Those are fun for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I know lots of adults without kids who love Theme parks and make several trips to them a year.
    I agree with this. When I lived in Charlotte, going to Carowinds was popular even for twentysomethings. I used to go with my friends all the time. The problem is Frontier City is barely a step up from a carnival or a state fair midway and isn't worth the cost for anybody over a certain age to go on their own. If they would actually add some thrill rides it might become more popular with older demographics. Otherwise, anybody old enough to enjoy real roller coasters is more likely to want to just go to to Six Flags as opposed to wasting time and money at Frontier City.

This news sucks. I really thought we would get something on the lines of Atl or even NY. Not even a rollercoaster, just a thrill ride that gets the heart pumping. Okc doesnt have 1 ride that would make the top 100 in America. Good get for the kids but this news sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    We must hang out with different crowds. I am a late 20's CPA, and know not a single person my age or older who willingly goes to a theme park, unless a concert is happening there, if their kids are not begging them to go. I can't speak for everyone, though. I just know there are limitations on the area around FC, so this is probably a win-win for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    We must hang out with different crowds. I am a late 20's CPA, and know not a single person my age or older who willingly goes to a theme park, unless a concert is happening there, if their kids are not begging them to go. I can't speak for everyone, though. I just know there are limitations on the area around FC, so this is probably a win-win for them.
    47 year old professional with friends all over the United states. Many who are coaster enthusiasts and post on social media all summer about thrill rides. FC doesn't get that traffic because as stated up thread, they don't have anything that draws that crowd. I myself haven't been to FC in soooo long and I don't frequent parks but know many who do.

I'm a late 20's professional myself, and most of my vacations involve jetting off to another city to ride their roller coasters. I don't think we're exactly a demographic that really show's up on Six Flag's radar though. With families, especially young families, you are all but guaranteed to get a lot of food/drink sales. Kids are the ones that play those over priced games and want the stupid crap in the gift shops bought for them. Us coaster enthusiasts just come for the coasters and then leave. There are a few parks that cater specifically to the older thrill-seeking demographic, but they are typically in high traffic areas like LA.

This addition for FC is fantastic for them. It's much more than I thought they would get. While it doesn't do anything for me, I think it will lead to a decent numbers boost for them - both profit and attendance. That will hopefully lead to the next big ride investment. Rumors are starting that Wildcat and the Go-karts are the site of the next big thing. Perhaps a new wooden coaster for 2020? That would be amazing.

Thread Information