Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1772

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I don’t support stores that have bad service. I shop at a union store, and have excellent service. The employees unload the cart for me and load it again. Prices are slightly higher but I’m happy to support union labor and good workers.
    You work for an airline right? Does the airline you work for have self check-in kiosks? Does your airline offer "self-tagging" for checked bags? Does your airline offer an app that you can use to scan your boarding pass at the gate? What's the difference between this and Costco? Check-in kiosks have drastically reduced the number of actual agents that are needed. It's crazy that even during peak times there are only 1-2 agents at the AA counter. So when you fly, do you refuse to check in yourself or tag your own bag? After all, isn't that literally the agent's job to print my boarding pass and tag my checked bag?

Not to mention that many airports internationally have unmanned boarding gates too. Last time we flew through Singapore you scanned your own BP, then they verified your identity via a face scan, which opened the gate. So would you refuse to use such a boarding gate next time you're abroad?

Finally made it to Costco last night. Long line for memberships, but it moved quickly. Good wine selection - Chateaux Margot for $599! Checkout also moved quickly. Loved gas at $2.14/gallon!

Sam's at Memorial and Penn have matched that $2.14 gas price.

Looking at Gusbuddy.com, those two prices are much lower than anywhere else in OKC:

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/O...klahoma%20City

Viva competition!

Crud. I just filled up at OnCue this morning.

Maybe its time for me to be ok with 10% ethanol?

6. Default Re: Costco

I was about to ask, is it 10% ethanol and do they Premium at each pump?

If my basket is full and there are no open lanes other than self check or there are long lines I will leave my cart where it is and leave the store. I do no favors for corporate America. Our corporate overlords rob us for everything anyway, I will not make it any easier on them.
    I really hope someone slaps the sh*t out of you the next time you do this. It’s a real d*ckhead move.

I refuse to use self checkout. I am not an employee of the store and I am certainly not receiving a discount to do work for them.

If my basket is full and there are no open lanes other than self check or there are long lines I will leave my cart where it is and leave the store. I do no favors for corporate America. Our corporate overlords rob us for everything anyway, I will not make it any easier on them.
    This is as flawed logic as I've ever read in my life. This is absolutely no way affects the "corporate overlords" in the slightest. What you are doing is actually creating unneccessary overhead costs for the local store by forcing employees to engage in the zero value task of putting your items back, or even worse throwing it out if it's perishable and they can't verify how long it's been out.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    But one side is paying money for goods and services while the other is not paying that same person.
    The other side is providing the goods and services that are being paid for. That's how this works.

I don't know about you guys, but I just don't care for shopping at all. I 100% welcome the day that grocery and home shopping is no longer a part of my week, and most everyone that I know feels the same way. Parents especially could not be happier about doing grocery shopping without leaving their car. Several of my friends now only shop for clothes online. Multiple days and/or evenings that I would've lost for shopping are now freed up to do things I actually value.

The success of Amazon, Grub Hub, Uber Eats, grocery pickup, and the like means that a growing number of people don't care for the in-person shopping experience. While some of you may lament for the cashiers of the world, it is just not an essential service in today's world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    The other side is providing the goods and services that are being paid for. That's how this works.
    And they failed in their service which was my main point

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Maybe its time for me to be ok with 10% ethanol?
    No, ethanol is terrible in the long haul for your engine. The main problem is that it attracts water and that's a huge problem for engines and it's components. Also, you get less gas mileage. Whether or not it's negligible is up to you and your driving habits. 1.5 gallons of ethanol equal the energy of 1.0 gallon of straight up gasoline. Ethanol can completely destroy your engine if there is too much ethanol. Many of the signs say E-10, but notice they usually will say say "at minimum E-10" so that's a minimum amount of ethanol mixed into the gas. There are positives to E-10, like it will never freeze in your fuel lines being an alcohol, and there are many political reasons to use it as it creates more jobs in the midwest (corn producing states) and it also assists in bringing down our emissions released into the atmosphere. Plus some vehicles today are being made to be able to use it and resist the issues above. I would absolutely not use it in an older vehicle because it it will wreak havoc on the rings and engine components and also cause you carburetor problems.

It’s actually “up-to” 10% or minimum 90% gas.

The 1.5 gallon be 1.0 gallon is also 100% ethanol vs 100% gas. So so it takes 1.05 gallons of E10 to equal a pure gallon. So that’s about 21 gallons compared to 20 gallons, and I’m not sure what that comes out to with money spend on either type of gas.

The main issue will likely be older cars and such. I think some lawnmower and other small engines aren’t really ideal for it either.

Blog Entries

Sam's off I-40 at S.W. 5th & Meridian access road have lowered their prices in response to Costco.
    As grandma use to say, 'Ain't nothing jumping but the peas in the pot; they wouldn't be jumping if the water wasn't hot.

15. Default Re: Costco

Finally made it out to Costco today with the wife. Got into the parking lot and found a space immediately with no issues. Even though the parking lot was very full, it didn't feel all that crowded inside (until you went to checkout).

My initial impressions:

1.) Definitely get the, "How's Costco different from Sam's? It's like Target is too Walmart." Very similar but higher end and just nicer at Costco.

2.) Hate that Costco allows the "Hey, who is your cable provider?" stalkers in their stores. So annoying and so not what I'd expect at a 'membership' store.

3.) I couldn't detect any free wifi inside the store and my cell reception was complete crap inside there (Sprint). Sam's has free wifi and I find it very convenient.

4.) Loved the higher end brands like Sonos and Apple (iMac and laptops).

5.) Hate how close the registers are. We literally had to keep asking people to give us some space while we were checking. People in the next line were literally up against us.

6.) Really wish they had "Scan and Go" like Sam's does.

7.) Their prepared meals look so much better than the one's at Sam's.

We got our list of 'freebies' and deep discounted stuff that came with our membership, used our $20 gift card (came with the membership) and also bought a solar powered street light post and headed to the checkout. The checkout was really pretty fast and the male cashier was very friendly.

We will definitely shop there on occasion. That said, not giving up the Sam's membership anytime soon, as it's literally just a couple of blocks away.

I think I’ve been stalked by DirectTV last time I was at Sams. And I think both have the “presentations” by the Vitamix folks. I agree that it’s something I can do without.

Yes, the Sam's at 39th and May always has a DirecTV harasser.

I actually go out of my way to avoid that area. It is really, really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    It’s actually “up-to” 10% or minimum 90% gas.

The 1.5 gallon be 1.0 gallon is also 100% ethanol vs 100% gas. So so it takes 1.05 gallons of E10 to equal a pure gallon. So that’s about 21 gallons compared to 20 gallons, and I’m not sure what that comes out to with money spend on either type of gas.

The main issue will likely be older cars and such. I think some lawnmower and other small engines aren’t really ideal for it either.
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, the Sam's at 39th and May always has a DirecTV harasser.

I actually go out of my way to avoid that area. It is really, really annoying.

The Midwest city one does as well

20. Default Re: Costco

We finally made it to Costco a couple of nights ago. We went there about 8:00pm, and got our cards. It took about 2 minutes to do that, as I had paid for them online. We walked in and basicly just walked around the store. The one thing I didn't like is they only have 2 handicap buggies for those of us that can't walk the store. They promise that more are comming. 2 are not enough for a big store like that. The store is beautiful. The people are really nice and welcomed us. I can't wait to go back when I have more time to shop.

Yes, they have premium @$2.54/gal

Insane!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cedbled View Post
    Yes, they have premium @$2.54/gal

Insane!!!
    Is that 100% gas? My cars don’t like ethanol.

It's worth noting you have to have a membership to buy gas. Thought someone mentioned upthread you did not. We stopped by last evening while visiting friends in the area and found that out.

Parking lot was maybe 10-20% full, not what I expected. Wife did not want to go inside, so next time maybe.

This was Sunday about noon.

Not too bad.

Thread Information