Thread: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Seriously?
    Did I stutter?

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerD Guy View Post
    Did I stutter?
    That post wasn't an invitation to be a jerk, it should've been a stepping off point to find out why you think all the social projects are worthless and only for Holt's re-election (paraphrasing), but oh well...
    Last edited by Martin; 08-04-2021 at 07:26 PM. Reason: removed personal attack

Nothing new but here is a news 9 article: https://www.news9.com/story/6109ea2c...imeline-update

4. Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the City building a facility to replace a City facility that will be owned by the City ................... what a crazy concept ..
    the city does not own/manage the fairgrounds arena and the state fair claims to generate so much revenue for the city yet they keep coming to MAPS for projects. They should use their own capital funds or issue bonds since the destroyed fairground venues without a VOICE from the city.

Nice try.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    the city does not own/manage the fairgrounds arena and the state fair claims to generate so much revenue for the city yet they keep coming to MAPS for projects. They should use their own capital funds or issue bonds since the destroyed fairground venues without a VOICE from the city.

Nice try.
    Apparently your response about ownership is wrong. A quick google show that according to their own website, OKCity owns it, fairgrounds manages it.

Jim Norick Arena
    937 Google reviews
    Arena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Jim Norick Arena is a large multi-purpose arena located at State Fair Park in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. It seats approximately 8,500 in its usual configuration. The building was unique in that it had the largest roof of its type in the world. Wikipedia
    Located in: OKC Fairgrounds
    Address: 333 Gordon Cooper Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73107
    Phone: (405) 948-6700
    Capacity: 10,944
    Opened: 1965
    Function: Arena
    Owner: City of Oklahoma City

6. Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

rover, Im fully aware the city owns the fairgrounds and the buildings on it. However, you also can not deny my other statements and therefore my position ont he State Fair board.

Oklahoma City has an arena (actually 3), I'm not doubting Norick needed to be replaced. But the State Fair board sure does seem to keep showing up FIRST at MAPS when they're such a money maker by their own argument. Maybe they should start acting more like Will Rogers airport trust - you know, which funds their own things? Actually, I'd be even more happy to trade the two and have WRWA receive MAPS funds since they manage $$ and city assets way better than the SFB.

The implementation vote was delayed. It appears there is a push to move the youth centers up in the plan. I think they made a strategic mistake by using the Woodson Park area as an example. In my opinion they would have gained more support if they had picked an northeast area.

Blog Entries

We continue to wrangle over which projects should be built first.

Again, put the projects that will serve the masses like the Paycom Arena (18,203) Thunder anchor tenant. concerts, large gatherings and the State Fair Coliseum will accommodate more hotel-motel room nights in a 5,000 seat facility. The sales taxes continue to increase monthly; those tax collections help support all 16 projects.

Diversion Hub:
    https://okdiversionhub.org/
    MAPS 4 will provide a $17 million “diversion hub” to transform the City’s approach to criminal justice, relieve pressure on the Oklahoma County jail and help low-level offenders establish a more productive life.

Operational costs will be covered by a philanthropic donation of $20 million that has been offered to the City.

Get a project like the diversion hub built and fully operational that use the services of multiple agencies to get low level offenders back on their feet.

9. Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

rover, Im fully aware the city owns the fairgrounds and the buildings on it. However, you also can not deny my other statements and therefore my position ont he State Fair board.

Oklahoma City has an arena (actually 3), I'm not doubting Norick needed to be replaced. But the State Fair board sure does seem to keep showing up FIRST at MAPS when they're such a money maker by their own argument. Maybe they should start acting more like Will Rogers airport trust - you know, which funds their own things? Actually, I'd be even more happy to trade the two and have WRWA receive MAPS funds since they manage $$ and city assets way better than the SFB.
    The money generated is not money to the fairgrounds. I mean, sure, they make rent. But this is about money that ends up in the coffers of the City of OKC. It goes to the general fund City of Oklahoma City in the form of sales tax, and there is also a huge amount of money generated in room tax.

As far as room night generators, here is the breakdown in OKC:
    1. Equestrian events
    2. Sports
    3. Meetings and conventions

It's barely worth taking the time to refute this, honestly. Horse shows generate more room nights than any industry by far, bringing 300,000 to OKC each year. They are a massive contributor to our economy and to the general fund, from which the City of OKC pays for all of the services we receive as residents. Yours is a very low-information take.

Blog Entries

Not only were you wrong on stating the fairgrounds owns the building, but I believe you are wrong about where the revenue goes, not to mention the auxiliary benefits to the community.

I would also be curious as to who makes more money, the airport trust or the fairgrounds trust and what their asset bases are. Seems like a good gauge of who the better steward is. Which is best ROI.

11. Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

I can answer that, the airport. They aren't running to the city every 5-10 years for a margin call nor does the airport claim they generate this or that for the city; it's obvious what they do and they do it all mostly without 'help' from the city.

Now I will admit they can bond so that's why I mentioned it as an idea for the State Fairgrounds board vs them continually diluting MAPS with projects that have little if anything to do with the State Fair (you know, their board mission. ..). ....

Now moving on - appears I'm not the only person who disagrees with putting the children of OKC "in the backburner" in the pecking order of MAPS. As Larry mentioned, these projects impact are far more valuable to OKC as a city where children can use facilities today (vs 13 years from now when, they aren't children anymore) to keep them out of trouble and possibly move OKC up in the rankings of health, things-to-do, and commitment to Children and possibly move OKC up a little in the competition for corp relocations in the longer run.

While I agree that arena and coluseum will be a huge benefit to the city, I think they could wait a year to launch UNLESS they're shovel ready (which they arent). And since they aren't ready, we should get going with at least the youth centers and perhaps other low hanging (dollar) fruit. Pandemic has changed everything in a way, time to rethink priorities.

Now I ask all of you who constantly berate or fact check against me - to think with your mind what makes sense for the future of OKC. We've put our children on the back burner for far too long, it would be great if we could fast track these new assets for them and tie into the current renaissance. Then in a year when the Fairgrounds is shovel ready or after this NBA season, we can prioritize the big fish (dollar wise) so OKC as a whole moves forward and not just those already with money/clout receiving a margin call courtesy of largely unaware OKC taxpayers.

12. Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

...While I agree that arena and coluseum will be a huge benefit to the city, I think they could wait a year to launch UNLESS they're shovel ready (which they arent)...
    Where are you getting this info? The fairgrounds projects are the most shovel-ready of all MAPS4 projects. They already own the land (no acquisition required), the architecture and design work is already completed, and they already have their share of the funding in-hand.

As I have already said, the community needs argument is the most compelling one for pushing tax generators until later in the agenda - despite the fact that this would diminish total MAPS funding by robbing the community of the associated new tax dollars generated in the interim - but some things are clearly quantifiable, and some things are not especially debatable. The fairgrounds generates a ton of tax income for the entire community, and the projects are shovel-ready. Period.

So the fairgrounds arena will for sure break ground before the years end? That prospect along with the innovation district one is exciting if those break ground soon.

Blog Entries

I can answer that, the airport. They aren't running to the city every 5-10 years for a margin call nor does the airport claim they generate this or that for the city; it's obvious what they do and they do it all mostly without 'help' from the city.

Now I will admit they can bond so that's why I mentioned it as an idea for the State Fairgrounds board vs them continually diluting MAPS with projects that have little if anything to do with the State Fair (you know, their board mission. ..). ....

Now moving on - appears I'm not the only person who disagrees with putting the children of OKC "in the backburner" in the pecking order of MAPS. As Larry mentioned, these projects impact are far more valuable to OKC as a city where children can use facilities today (vs 13 years from now when, they aren't children anymore) to keep them out of trouble and possibly move OKC up in the rankings of health, things-to-do, and commitment to Children and possibly move OKC up a little in the competition for corp relocations in the longer run.

While I agree that arena and coluseum will be a huge benefit to the city, I think they could wait a year to launch UNLESS they're shovel ready (which they arent). And since they aren't ready, we should get going with at least the youth centers and perhaps other low hanging (dollar) fruit. Pandemic has changed everything in a way, time to rethink priorities.

Now I ask all of you who constantly berate or fact check against me - to think with your mind what makes sense for the future of OKC. We've put our children on the back burner for far too long, it would be great if we could fast track these new assets for them and tie into the current renaissance. Then in a year when the Fairgrounds is shovel ready or after this NBA season, we can prioritize the big fish (dollar wise) so OKC as a whole moves forward and not just those already with money/clout receiving a margin call courtesy of largely unaware OKC taxpayers.
    Your financial analysis is elementary at best and totally misleading. You haven’t considered any kind of return on assets, actual net profits from operations, sales taxes generated, And on and on and on. It takes more than a less than skin deep analysis of what’s going on, what each entity is charged with doing, what their assets are, etc.

Just want to say - imagine how doomed we would have been with this round of MAPS had the commercial industry not come to their senses and begin collecting sales taxes for all states.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Just want to say - imagine how doomed we would have been with this round of MAPS had the commercial industry not come to their senses and begin collecting sales taxes for all states.
    Agree 100%

Just think about what was left on the table until we started collecting sales taxes related to internet sales.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

A Menagerie of a Partnership.

Animated chevrons excluded, here’s a look at the Thunder’s court with the Paycom Center logo.

I would assume (hope) the Paycom logos will come off the sidelines. https://twitter.com/OKCTracker/statu...850369/photo/1

If you dislike the Love's NBA patch, well, here's a patch quilt for the floor you probably won't like. A menagerie of a partnership.

I think it looks great. Go Paycom, Go Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The money generated is not money to the fairgrounds. I mean, sure, they make rent. But this is about money that ends up in the coffers of the City of OKC. It goes to the general fund City of Oklahoma City in the form of sales tax, and there is also a huge amount of money generated in room tax.

As far as room night generators, here is the breakdown in OKC:
    1. Equestrian events
    2. Sports
    3. Meetings and conventions

It's barely worth taking the time to refute this, honestly. Horse shows generate more room nights than any industry by far, bringing 300,000 to OKC each year. They are a massive contributor to our economy and to the general fund, from which the City of OKC pays for all of the services we receive as residents. Yours is a very low-information take.
    Also horse people eat at Mahogny/Broadway 10 and run up $1,000+ tabs. It's not just visitors at that point, it's a 1% visitor. A 1%er that otherwise wouldn't be in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

A Menagerie of a Partnership.

Animated chevrons excluded, here’s a look at the Thunder’s court with the Paycom Center logo.

I would assume (hope) the Paycom logos will come off the sidelines. https://twitter.com/OKCTracker/statu...850369/photo/1

If you dislike the Love's NBA patch, well, here's a patch quilt for the floor you probably won't like. A menagerie of a partnership.

I think it looks great. Go Paycom, Go Thunder.
    That is hideous. It's not the court thankfully, it's an animation from the video. But if it was the court it would be the ugliest court in the NBA by far.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    That is hideous.
    Not sure why it was posted without the caveat that it’s a screen capture from a video in which the chevrons are animated, moving across the court to signify progress (it was a visual theme of the video). That is NOT a picture of a proposed court design.

Here is that video: https://twitter.com/okcthunder/statu...758710276?s=21

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewKSc...72828210532353

Here’s a better pic of what it may look like during game day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post

LMAOOOOOOOO that dang Love's patch keeps growing

i think that is the actual court ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i think that is the actual court ..
    Added "may look like" since I doubt the team/arena would allow the wood color surrounding the Paycom logo to be slightly different from the rest of the court. At least I hope.

Added "may look like" since I doubt the team/arena would allow the wood color surrounding the Paycom logo to be slightly different from the rest of the court. At least I hope.
    i would guess it will be that way for this season ... unless they sand and re stain/paint the entire court .. in the next month ..

Thread Information