Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion

1. Default Re: OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion

I flew to new york city on southwest and the flight starts in dallas and stops through okc on the way to baltimore. same thing on the way back, bal-okc-dallas. the airport was hoppin yesterday too for some reason. people everywhere

2. Default Re: OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion

Anyone wanting to see even a remote chance of a focus operation of even one airline needs to take a look at airports like ABQ, AUS, etc. Our passenger traffic needs to get above 5 million/yr. Albuquerque International handled close to 6 million last year, Austin Bergstrom handled more than 9 million in '08, and even with the bad economy last year, handled more than 8 million. AUS has two airlines that have large operations-Southwest and American. Southwest has six gates, American and American Eagle have five. Recently, Jetblue has become a big player in the Austin market, with nonstops to Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Boston, NYC-JFK and San Francisco. Alaska Airlines has also started nonstops to San Jose and Seattle-Tacoma. As they say, if the demand is there, the airlines will add flights. And Austinites continue to show strong support for these flights, yes, maybe airlines have reduced capacity or even cut down some flights, but Austin has lost very few destinations altogether, those being nonstops to Toronto which Air Canada Jazz operated with CRJ 705s for a while, and Aeromexico and Viva Aerobus, when the H1N1 scare took a toll on demand to Mexico. Use it or lose it.

3. Default Re: OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion

So, does anybody know how the Frontier flights to Florida are doing? All the news had been bad until that story a week or two back stating they are nearly selling out. Has anyone verified that?

Default Re: OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion

I won't be able to check this week, I won't be at work until a week or two. I'll do a headcount if I can get to that gate while I am on break and they are boarding/deplaning the Florida flight.

Based on what I hear it seems to be doing okay now. We might see it go year round, we'll see how good of a negotiator Mark Kranenburg, the Director of Airport, is.

I was extremely bored last night so I got on photoshop and toyed around.

Yeah, won't ever happen in my lifetime but still kinda fun. I originally built the "tri-concourse" to see what it would look like because that is what the master plan calls for in the case a third concourse was necessary in the future. After that I wanted to add some more spice.

The end result:

Pretty bad photoshop job because I did it in a few minutes so the pavement, shadows, colors, planes etc. look mickey mouse and such. Would look cool professionally photoshopped though,

6. Default Re: OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion

Pretty cool! I think we'll have to attract a couple of dozen fortune 500 HQ's to grow our airport that large.

7. Default Re: OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion

It would be a nightmare trying to push out that ERJ 145 next to the Southwest 737 on the inside part of the main ramp. I would drop that one, and the one just like that over on the other side. Fun to imagine though, a 48-gate WRA.

8. Default Re: OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion

Delta will go from 7 to 6 daily to Atlanta for teh summer.

I have heard through the grapevine out here that the YMCA/Military Welcome center is moving to the belly cargo, office, and storage building. (Brown/gray building east of the terminal)

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Pretty cool! I think we'll have to attract a couple of dozen fortune 500 HQ's to grow our airport that large.
    ... or a western hub operation for AirTran.

AirTran Airways - Route Map

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    I have heard through the grapevine out here that the YMCA/Military Welcome center is moving to the belly cargo, office, and storage building. (Brown/gray building east of the terminal)
    I hope not! Hell of a "welcome" for those who served - make 'em walk out to another building? I sure hope the PTB will re-think that one - what image does that portray of OKC? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    I hope not! Hell of a "welcome" for those who served - make 'em walk out to another building? I sure hope the PTB will re-think that one - what image does that portray of OKC? Really?
    The guy I talked to who works there is not happy at all. He says they won't have enough room for overflow (for example, when a troop charter comes in with 200 troops and about 600 family members are there to greet them). Normally, overflow just spills into the baggage claim area. Now, it will overflow into the parking lot.

You may want to send some emails or phone calls to the YMCA Military greeting center or the Airport Trust:

Airport Trust: 405 680-3200 *9
    mark.kranenburg@okc.gov Director of Airports
    karen.carney@okc.gov PR

I emailed Karen a few months ago about the antique website we have, she told me they were receiving bids "next month" -- which would have been February -- for a new website. Maybe she is telling us the truth.

Ughhh.. 430am shift tomorrow.

Hope it isn't true. Back in Jan we were eating at Sonic waiting for our plane to Vegas. About 30 or uniformed troops were in line. Whomever was in charge barked that their transport was ready to leave and to get a move on. Immediately and without hesitation EVERY civilian in line stepped aside and insisted that our men & women in uniform be allowed to be served first and in no uncertain terms, a couple told the commanding officer that they would allow them to get their meals. Saw a few bills being pressed into uniformed hands too. Still chokes me up a bit.

Couldn't help but wonder if the same scene would have played out the same way on the east or west coasts. I would hope so, but made me proud to be an Okie and an American.

As a side note, a few minutes later, the same troops were back...turns out their transport wasn't ready after all.

Here's my email to Ms. Carney and Mr. Kranenburg. I hope others will also contact them and get this stopped!

Dear Mr. Kranenburg and Ms. Carney,

I am a proud Army mom and member of Blue Star moms. I have been reading some posts in OKCTalk.com that the WWWA authority is considering moving the Military Welcome Center to a building east of the main terminal.

I sincerely hope these rumors have absolutely no validity! There are times during holidays when we have had 200-300 troops coming into or through Will Rogers and the Military Welcome Center has provided valuable services to those who serve us as well as the families.

Right now, troops from all over are appreciative of the welcome they get in Oklahoma. What kind of message would that send, not only to our troops but to all other states, to move our troop welcome center out of sight and mind?

To shuffle our heroes to another building says "you don't matter". Surely this isn't the intention of the Airport Authority? And - if this a decision already made, please tell me who made this unilateral choice? I think Oklahomans in general will be appalled once they hear this.

Sincerely,

Lauri
    Proud Army Mom
    OKC

Here is response I received today. It sounds reasonable, but still concerned that our military members won't be able to find or get to the welcome center if the signs are the usual non-informational signs found at WRWA.

Ms. GXXX,

The current Military Welcome Center was placed in a 750 sq ft area designed and built for an airline baggage claim office. The area is not large enough evidenced by the (4) 60 inch round plastic card tables, (5) 7 foot rectangular tables and (40+) chairs used every day outside the Welcome Center to handle the overflow of the large numbers of military personnel transitioning from Lawton/Ft. Sill Army Training Base each day. In fact, the Welcome Center also uses two additional airline baggage claim offices and uses the office areas in back of two rental car counters which were constructed when the Terminal Building was renovated in 2006. This overflow from the Welcome Center prohibits the use of the rental car counters which will be used beginning April 1, 2010. The overflow also occasionally conflicts with passengers retrieving their bags from the baggage claim area leased by an airline at that end of the building.

A couple of years ago, Airport staff started communicating with the Greater Oklahoma City YMCA; who leases the airport space on behalf of the Military Welcome Center and who manages its operations; about coming up with a long-term plan to provide adequate space for the Military Welcome Center. The Welcome Center needs to have all its operations consolidated in one area. The long-term plan is to construct a new, large Military Welcome Center as part of the Airport’s Terminal Expansion Plan called Phase III. Phase III will be a phased project that will include improvements in the central Terminal Building as well as constructing an east concourse that mirror’s the existing west concourse.

The first step was to temporarily relocate the Welcome Center from its present location in time for the rental car companies to begin using their new space April 1st. However, there was no temporary location large enough in the Terminal Building to accommodate all the Military Welcome Center’s needs. The Airport coordinated with the YMCA, which agreed to take over 3500 sq foot of space east of the Terminal Building that actually will make it easier for military busses to pickup and drop-off military personnel. The YMCA has budgeted up to $50,000 to renovate the temporary location and the renovation will soon be complete. The accommodations will be superb and offer amenities the Welcome Center does not have today such as extra electrical outlets to charge cell phones and laptops, games tables, more televisions, shelving units for storage of gear (duffel bags), a separate area for more, comfortable sofa seating, ceiling fans, an area within the new space for 70+ persons to eat or play games, cards, etc., and a separate room for six computers with internet access.

The Airport and the YMCA believe that this move, although temporary, will improve operations and accommodations for our military.

Mark Kranenburg, A.A.E.

Director of Airports

(405) 680-3200

Perhaps I am a cynic. Sounds a tad 'out of sight, out of mind' approach.

maybe it's just me though

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Perhaps I am a cynic. Sounds a tad 'out of sight, out of mind' approach.

maybe it's just me though
    Kevin, yes you are a cynic as is Lauri. There is certainly no reason to suspect a conspiracy to hide the troops. As a temporary solution, their plan sounds as good as any and will probably make the troops more comfortable than they are now. While I welcome seeing the military at the airport there is no reason to put them on display while they are trying to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Kevin, yes you are a cynic as is Lauri. There is certainly no reason to suspect a conspiracy to hide the troops. As a temporary solution, their plan sounds as good as any and will probably make the troops more comfortable than they are now. While I welcome seeing the military at the airport there is no reason to put them on display while they are trying to relax.
    Easy to take that perspective following reading the response. Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe there is a note of cynicism, that comes out in stories like these, but that is only because we somehow find ourselves living in a time where all of the sudden the very soldiers who risk their lives for us, are marginalized and treated as second class citizens all too often. When I was growing up, I was raised to appreciate and recognize the blessings that this country affords us and the price by which the liberties and freedoms come. I never thought I would have to endure the blatant disrespect for the very ones who lay it all on the line by members of congress, much less the president himself. When you hear and see enough of these type of slights and open disrespect for those serving and even those who have fallen, and it becomes easy to jump to those kind of conclusions, just to make sure that they do not happen where those who care can do something about it.

So I for one appreciate the fact Lauri took the initiative and showed that she cared enough to write a letter, expressing her concerns with the changes. She expressed her support and gave the officials the chance to explain themselves. Accountability is a key thing that if required could prevent a lot of ills in this country. Based on the changes reported and the explanation of why, it might be a good temporary solution leading to a better permanent solution. No harm done.

Thank you, OKC@Heart!

My intentions were certainly honorable and my "cynicism" (I prefer the term realist) is caused by many years of observation.

I have heard my daughter talk about trying to find a military welcome center in the various airports she's been in. The best ones are the shortest distance to walk and drag their 80 lb duffels.

The amenities planned are excellent, but will do no good if they don't have time to go or can't find the facility. Since the signage at WRWA is notoriously non-helpful, I think my concerns (and Kevin's) are valid.

At least it's a better reception than those of us serving in Vietnam era got!

That is exactly what I was thinking Lauri. I may be wrong, but I would be surprised if a serviceman ever has to pay for a meal or drink in an airport. I know when my husband and I are traveling we have sat next to many a soldier in uniform and struck up conversations and showed our appreciation for their service by buying them a drink. It is the least we can do.

Thank you, OKC@Heart!

My intentions were certainly honorable and my "cynicism" (I prefer the term realist) is caused by many years of observation.

I have heard my daughter talk about trying to find a military welcome center in the various airports she's been in. The best ones are the shortest distance to walk and drag their 80 lb duffels.

The amenities planned are excellent, but will do no good if they don't have time to go or can't find the facility. Since the signage at WRWA is notoriously non-helpful, I think my concerns (and Kevin's) are valid.

At least it's a better reception than those of us serving in Vietnam era got!
    Lauri, perhaps I was harsh in combining you with Kevin as being cynical. You do have legitimate concerns which need to be addressed, however, I don't think the airport is going to do something to cause inconvenience to the troops if a better short term solution is available. Kevin didn't really address a specific concern though. He just emplied that the airport was trying to hide the troops which is ridiculous.

The Military Welcome Center is in Bay O in the belly cargo building. It is open and running.

After early April, I will no longer be employed at the airport :-(, so over time, my updates on the airport projects, etc. will be limited to what is available to the public on the web.

The Military Welcome Center is in Bay O in the belly cargo building. It is open and running.

After early April, I will no longer be employed at the airport :-(, so over time, my updates on the airport projects, etc. will be limited to what is available to the public on the web.
    This was in the paper recently

NewsOK

Aww...SkyWestOKC - sorry to hear of job loss - hope it was your choice and not someone else's!

25. Default Re: OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion

yeah, sorry to hear SkyWest.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information