Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Restaurants

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Old Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Isn't there a place still in town that still serves the "hermans cole slaw'?
    I've heard that there's a grocery on NW 72 and N Western, or there abouts,
    that has the slaw. I think the kids know the recipe. It was very simple. I
    believe the way it was shredded was a major factor. I'd ask for seconds.
    Sometimes thirds.

Prunepicker Guest

Amen to that...
    I still remember that Rye bread like it was yesterday.
    No kidding. Most Chinese restaurants in the 50's and 60's, my era,
    would bring hot rye bread to the table. I'm sure that Hoe Sai Gai did the
    same thing. I never got to eat there.

Buttons, south side of 10th, just east of the Baptist church, was one of those little holes in wall where the waitresses all called you "Hon," the special for the day was meat loaf, or beans and corn bread, or stew, or some other simple food. The pies were home made and so were the incredible rolls.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    Buttons, south side of 10th, just east of the Baptist church, was one of those
    little holes in wall where the waitresses all called you "Hon," the special for the
    day was meat loaf, or beans and corn bread, or stew, or some other simple
    food. The pies were home made and so were the incredible rolls.
    I don't remember such a place. What was the north/south street?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Restaurant I miss from my kidhood was the old Spaghetti House on S. Western,
    on the west side of the road around 50th or so (Give or take). Near the old
    YMCA...
    Was it called Jack's and didn't they serve steaks, too? Was it at the south
    end of the shopping center?

Nevermind, I was thinking of a place in the same area but on S. Penn.

Harrigan's every Friday night dinner and Sunday morning brunch.... Zucchini chips, cheese rolls, prime rib. It was all so good.

Ding Ho best garlic fried chicken in the whole world , they had the rye bread also.

Niño's in his prime. My dad's favorite place when I was growing up we ate there every Friday night and we all looked forward to it. He ordered the Acapulco special every time and always got one of those pink peanut patties by the cash register when we were leaving.

Not that the food was super outstanding, but, it wasn't bad and it was all you could eat. Casa Bonita on 39th. It opened when I was in college at Southwestern at Weatherford. When it first opened it was $1.45 for the all you could eat. A bunch of us guys would make a road trip to OKC about once a month(2-3 carloads) just to hit Casa Bonita. Then we almost always had to stop in to the Red Dog for brews on 10th street.

Prunepicker,
    It was on Penn, I missed that on SoonerDave's post. I don't remember "Jack's" but it was The Family Spaghetti House. I don't remember steaks either. I don't believe it could have been on Western. At least not near 50th.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Was it called Jack's and didn't they serve steaks, too? Was it at the south
    end of the shopping center?

Nevermind, I was thinking of a place in the same area but on S. Penn.

The YMCA was on Penn not Western. Was this spaghetti place in the same building as Pizza Planet was in?

Jack's was just north of 59th and Penn on the west side of the road, place was great as a kid, you got your choice of anything in the candy display if you cleaned your plate.

I really liked Triples, too.

The Monte Cristo was good if you expected the sweetness. I liked it.

Triples was on the property that Herman Baggett owned. He owned Herman's
    Seafood and Market. I really, really, really liked that place. The cole slaw
    was off the charts.

Here's a mind blowing experience. Steak and Tails for $4.99. A steak with
    3 lobster tails. Incredible. And all the cole slaw you could eat. I believe
    our waitress was almost always Maggie. I remember her face.

BlackmoreRulz,
    I believe it was in a pizza place, it definitely was in a stand alone building. At least that's the way I remember it. The entrance was on the side (South side). Our boys loved the place. Wasn't it all you can eat?
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    The YMCA was on Penn not Western. Was this spaghetti place in the same building as Pizza Planet was in?

Jack's was just north of 59th and Penn on the west side of the road, place was great as a kid, you got your choice of anything in the candy display if you cleaned your plate.

12. Default Re: Old Restaurants

How about Holloway's burgers on 23rd, Dolores Restaurant near the capitol, Nicolosi's on 10th. Also The Patio at the Classen Circle and Shotgun Sam's on May. Lots of good memories at the Chinese places already mentioned

Neds on May was really good. Was it Neds or nicolosi's that served their pizza on plywood?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    How about Holloway's burgers on 23rd, Dolores Restaurant near the capitol, Nicolosi's on 10th. Also The Patio at the Classen Circle and Shotgun Sam's on May. Lots of good memories at the Chinese places already mentioned
    My God Shotgun Sams used to have wonderful pizza. I wish someone would open using the same recipe.

Does anyone remember Oui Lin's on N Penn and about NW 12th? There was
    something about having the food served on silver platters. Most Chinese
    restaurants did that in the 50's and 60's.

They also served hot rye bread and butter. Loved it.
    I grew up eating at Oui Lin's in the '70s... this was the only place we ever went out to eat. My dad loved the garlic chicken.

My mom worked part time at Jackson's Drugstore on the north end of that strip. Wow... memories.

I got sick on a shrimp cocktail at the Der Dutchman one time... have never had shrimp cocktail again.

Other restaurants I miss include Bonaparte's... there was one in Shepherd Mall and also one on 39th near Ann Arbor. Tony's Via Roma on NW Expressway just east of May. Triple's on 16th & Classen. Applewood's... oh, how I loved their apple fritters and their rolls.

never blame all the shrimp in the sea for something untoward done to some of their ancestors in one kitchen by one grumpy cook.

I used to work at Han's, I never thought it was all that great but it was a bit different than other BBQ places.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    RM,
    You can't mention Nicolosi's without mentioning the J & R Chicken Ranch! They were about a mile apart and it was always tough to decide on Italian or good chicken. Triple's is where I had my first and last Monte Cristo sandwich. Couldn't handle the sweetness. I don't eat sweets at all now, but I did then, just never was into sweetening the man dish (entree). By the way, I'm sure you know, they were located where the Metro wine Bar and Bistro is today.
    C. T.
    Nicolosi's and JR were closer than that, not even a 1/3rd mile apart. Growing up in the Hilldale neighborhood it was rather close to us.

Bennigan's was where I had the Monte Cristo, it was a once in awhile meal. Cheddar's is the only place that I know of that has them now, we have one in our part of South Denver area.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Not that the food was super outstanding, but, it wasn't bad and it was all you could eat. Casa Bonita on 39th. It opened when I was in college at Southwestern at Weatherford. When it first opened it was $1.45 for the all you could eat. A bunch of us guys would make a road trip to OKC about once a month(2-3 carloads) just to hit Casa Bonita. Then we almost always had to stop in to the Red Dog for brews on 10th street.
    If you really want Casa Bonita there is one still open in the Lakewood area of Denver.
    Casa Bonita - Denver

My God Shotgun Sams used to have wonderful pizza. I wish someone would open using the same recipe.
    I agree....I also wish we could get Okie Calzone like Sammy's Pizza (and places like Pizza House now) had up here. The Mellow Mushroom is about the closest I can find.

One of my favorites was Tony's Italian Specialties at NW 30th & Penn, I love traditional red sauce Italian like they had. El Rancho Sanchez (the one next to Shotgun Sam's) was great for a big, cheap burrito.

Bluedogok,
    I was pretty young, so it was a long distance between Nicolosi's and JR. Actually, I knew it wasn't a mile, that's why I said "about" because I really don't remember them being as close as 1/3rd of a mile. I agree about Tony's, a little known Italian gem. I say "little known" because I didn't know many people that had ever heard of it or they had driven by it for years and never tried it. My family and I started eating at the El Rancho Sanchez at about 58th and South Western. We loved it. They had a buffet every Monday evening and it was great.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I used to work at Han's, I never thought it was all that great but it was a bit different than other BBQ places.

Nicolosi's and JR were closer than that, not even a 1/3rd mile apart. Growing up in the Hilldale neighborhood it was rather close to us.

Bennigan's was where I had the Monte Cristo, it was a once in awhile meal. Cheddar's is the only place that I know of that has them now, we have one in our part of South Denver area.

If you really want Casa Bonita there is one still open in the Lakewood area of Denver.
    Casa Bonita - Denver

I agree....I also wish we could get Okie Calzone like Sammy's Pizza (and places like Pizza House now) had up here. The Mellow Mushroom is about the closest I can find.

One of my favorites was Tony's Italian Specialties at NW 30th & Penn, I love traditional red sauce Italian like they had. El Rancho Sanchez (the one next to Shotgun Sam's) was great for a big, cheap burrito.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post

Casa Bonita - Denver

Wait a sec....
    Did or wasn't Sammys supposed to open a store here recently or are they only doing the fair thing?

A place that just popped into my mind was Hardy's, Famous for Steaks. It was one block West of the old Union Bus Station on the N. W. corner. Long after they closed the restaurant, they served ham sandwiches at the state fair. Really good steaks, shore patrol salad (a wilted lettuce salad) and the hangout for lot's of celebrities that performed at the Civic Center Music Hall, or as it was know then, the Municipal Auditorium. My aunt worked there and there were lots of autographs on the walls by the performers.
    C. T.

22. Default Re: Old Restaurants

Wait a sec....
    Did or wasn't Sammys supposed to open a store here recently or are they only doing the fair thing?
    The individual who had the rights to the Sammy's name (and who runs the tent at the State Fair) was working on opening a store on the canal, but ran out of resources. The spot is now occupied by the recently-opened Knuck's Wheelhouse.

What was that greasyspoon in Britton, the AAA Cafe?

Okay . . . Here's one that I bet almost nobody remembers:
    "Good Eats Café".

It was where "The Ranch" is now (over on Britton Rd.).
    I only ate there a couple of times, but the food was superb, if basic, and priced right.
    It was the place where my "cooking gene" was activated with my first taste of "Tequila Glazed Chicken".

(I know that TGC is, like, Cooking 101 but it was sure good and opened up my culinary horizons. =)

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    What was that greasyspoon in Britton, the AAA Cafe?
    Yup. Never got to eat there. They closed before I moved to The Village.

Thread Information