Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Non-Sort Facility

South OKC Amazon Non-Sort Facility

Amazon to open yet another huge distribution center in OKC

Mega online retailer Amazon is planning yet another huge facility in Oklahoma City, this time just over 1 million square feet.

New facility will be located next to existing Amazon Fulfillment Center

OKCTalk was first to report Amazon's Sortation Facility at SW 15th and Council in early 2017. In April of 2018, we also broke the news on their 2.5 million square foot Fulfillment Center near Will Rogers Airport which opened in 2019.

The latest facility will be immediately north of the current fulfillment center and will be a 'non-sort facility', one that handles large items bought through their website.

Similar Amazon warehouses of this type employ approximately 1,200 workers.

Plans call for a 2-level building along with over 1,000 parking spaces for employees and docks and storage for hundreds of trucks.

Non-sort facilities typically stock and ship items such as kayaks, kegorators, grills and all types of bulky products available for purchase on-line.

Amazon warehouses that stock smaller-sized objects rely heavily on small robots, which travel long distances in their multi-floor facilities and retrieve racks to workers who then retrieve items for boxing and shipping to the end customer.

Due to the size and weight of the objects in non-sort facilities, they rely heavily on Powered Industrial Equipment (P.I.T.) which are custom machines resembling traditional fork-lifts.

P.I.T. equipment in use

In similar Amazon facilities in other cities, after an item is retrieved it moves via conveyor belt to a massive custom boxing operation. Machines run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to create right-sized containers from huge sheets of cardboard.

Amazon boxing machine

Most items sent from the non-sort facility involve a pre-arranged scheduled delivery.

The Covid-19 pandemic has driven more consumers to buy products through the Internet and Amazon continues to grow. The world's largest retailer is expected to far outpace the $280 billion in revenue of 2019.

Oklahoma City provided Amazon $1.7 million in public incentives for the investment in the fulfillment center and the creation of approximately 1,800 jobs. Given that Amazon aggressively pursues incentives, expect a similar request for this latest project.

Rendering of proposed OKC facility

Default Re: Amazon Non-Sort Facility

That will be good

Any time line?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Any time line?
    My best guess is that it will take through the end of the year to agree on incentives and get the building permits issued.

Then, about a year to build.

i guess that means lariat landing is officially dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i guess that means lariat landing is officially dead.
    Not at all. This is part of that development.

Any retail/commercial was always planned for the east side of Portland (shown in red below):

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Any retail/commercial was always planned for the east side of Portland (shown in red below):
    ahhh... gotcha. thanks for the clarification!

I've been waiting for more development to be announced or begin at Lariat Landing. I thought for sure Amazon would spawn off more development with all the trucks and over a thousand people working in the area.

Blog Entries

OKC's Lariat Landing on 2,000 prime acres apart of Will Rogers World Airport Strategic Development Program will eventually attract more centers to the area. Our city needs to 'get ready' because the jobs will keep on coming... The non sort facility expected to employ up to 1,000.

Though it does seem a little odd that they are granting so much of the land with potential direct runway access for amazon, when it seems the land over by the rental car facilities would give similar access to the airport and freeways.

11. Default Re: Amazon Non-Sort Facility

Unless there is some potential Amazon could use that proximity for some sort of air freight facility in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Unless there is some potential Amazon could use that proximity for some sort of air freight facility in the future.
    Bingo. Air freight has made a killing during this downturn, and OKC is centrally located if Amazon wanted to turn it into a minuhub. Also, I'd imagine those bulky non-sort items require flights sometimes to get where they need to be.

Just for the record. I am reasonably certain that both Amazon facilities are in the "Aviation Support/Indirect Aviation" area. The two facilities do not have "direct" runway access currently.

the current facility is in the green area on the far left of the image. plenty of land available.

i don't think its especially imminent of amazon air - i track their air network quite extensively and the developments leading from it. a good portion of their facilities are located at or near airports. i think it's placing it so if their model changes to be more air reliant they are
    located closeby. but otherwise they have beefed up their distribution network to have products close to all major cities and using air for when that doesn't work out. most items you order are within trucking distance

I know this is off topic, but there was a spec warehouse built near SW 44th and MacArthur. They started working on the inside of it and building out it's parking lots a number of months ago. I drove by today, and there was a homemade, plywood sign, and I believe it said "Amazon employees only" or something like that. Did Amazon end up leasing out this warehouse?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I know this is off topic, but there was a spec warehouse built near SW 44th and MacArthur. They started working on the inside of it and building out it's parking lots a number of months ago. I drove by today, and there was a homemade, plywood sign, and I believe it said "Amazon employees only" or something like that. Did Amazon end up leasing out this warehouse?
    It's an Amazon delivery center:

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...46#post1133746

Amazon requesting a light at 74th and Portland and about halfway between 74th & 89th (shown in first image) for this new non-sort facility.

Graphics shows how the building will be placed; will take 1/2 a mile of frontage on Portland, as the building itself will be a larger footprint from the distribution to the south, but only 1 level as opposed to 4.

They have already cleared the entire site.

Unfortunately, this is so close to the airport i can't use my drone.

Press release:

Amazon Announces New Fulfillment Center in Oklahoma City
    New one million square-foot site to create over 500 new, full-time jobs

SEATTLE – (BUSINESS WIRE) – Dec. 3, 2020 – Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) plans to open a new fulfillment center in Oklahoma City, OK. The new fulfillment center, which is anticipated to launch in 2021, will create over 500 new full-time jobs with industry-leading pay and comprehensive benefits starting on day one.

“We’re thrilled to announce a new fulfillment center in Oklahoma City as we strive to better serve our customers throughout the state,” said Alicia Boler Davis, Amazon’s vice president of global customer fulfillment. “Our growth in Oklahoma wouldn’t be possible without the amazing local workforce and strong support we’ve received from local and state leaders.”

Every day at Amazon, incredible employees come together to deliver magical experiences for customers. In the new one million square-foot fulfillment center Amazon associates will work to pick, pack, and ship bulky or larger-sized customer items such as patio furniture, outdoor equipment, or rugs.

“Amazon’s new facility is another testament to the nation and the world that Oklahoma is open for business,” said Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt. “As governor, it is my priority to foster a climate where businesses can grow, thrive and expand in order to provide jobs for hardworking Oklahomans to support their families. I salute Amazon on its expansion and look forward to its continued growth in our state.”

On top of Amazon’s industry-leading minimum $15 per hour wage, the company offers full-time employees comprehensive benefits including full medical, vision, and dental insurance as well as a 401(k) with 50 percent match starting on day one. Amazon prioritizes the safety and health of its employees and has invested millions of dollars to provide a safe workplace. The company also offers up to 20 weeks of maternal and parental paid leave and innovative benefits such as Leave Share and Ramp Back, which give new parents flexibility to support their growing families.

“We appreciate Amazon’s continued investment in Oklahoma City and look forward to the positive impact their presence will have on future job creation and the overall economy of our great city,” said Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt.

Amazon leverages its scale for good to support local communities. Amazon has also pledged to invest over $700 million to provide upskilling training for 100,000 U.S. employees for in-demand jobs. The programs will help Amazon team members from all backgrounds access training to move into highly skilled roles across the company’s corporate offices, tech hubs, fulfillment centers, retail stores, and transportation network, or pursue career paths outside of Amazon.

"Amazon's continued growth in Oklahoma City is a recognition of the strength of our market," said Roy Williams, President and CEO of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber. "These 500 jobs are particularly important as people who have lost jobs due to the pandemic are looking for long-term stable employment."

Amazon in Oklahoma:
    • Since 2010, Amazon has created more than 4,000 jobs in Oklahoma and invested more than $650 million across the state, including infrastructure and compensation to its employees.
    • Amazon’s investments have contributed more than $530 million in GDP to the Oklahoma economy and have helped create over 4,100 indirect jobs on top of Amazon’s direct hires – from jobs in construction and logistics to professional services.
    • More than 14,000 independent authors and small and medium businesses in Oklahoma are selling to customers in Amazon’s store, creating thousands of additional jobs across the state.

Will this be the 3rd Fulfillment center in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Will this be the 3rd Fulfillment center in OKC?
    No, the second.

There is also one in Tulsa.

Press release:

Amazon Announces New Fulfillment Center in Oklahoma City
    New one million square-foot site to create over 500 new, full-time jobs

SEATTLE – (BUSINESS WIRE) – Dec. 3, 2020 – Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) plans to open a new fulfillment center in Oklahoma City, OK. The new fulfillment center, which is anticipated to launch in 2021, will create over 500 new full-time jobs with industry-leading pay and comprehensive benefits starting on day one.

“We’re thrilled to announce a new fulfillment center in Oklahoma City as we strive to better serve our customers throughout the state,” said Alicia Boler Davis, Amazon’s vice president of global customer fulfillment. “Our growth in Oklahoma wouldn’t be possible without the amazing local workforce and strong support we’ve received from local and state leaders.”

Every day at Amazon, incredible employees come together to deliver magical experiences for customers. In the new one million square-foot fulfillment center Amazon associates will work to pick, pack, and ship bulky or larger-sized customer items such as patio furniture, outdoor equipment, or rugs.

“Amazon’s new facility is another testament to the nation and the world that Oklahoma is open for business,” said Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt. “As governor, it is my priority to foster a climate where businesses can grow, thrive and expand in order to provide jobs for hardworking Oklahomans to support their families. I salute Amazon on its expansion and look forward to its continued growth in our state.”

On top of Amazon’s industry-leading minimum $15 per hour wage, the company offers full-time employees comprehensive benefits including full medical, vision, and dental insurance as well as a 401(k) with 50 percent match starting on day one. Amazon prioritizes the safety and health of its employees and has invested millions of dollars to provide a safe workplace. The company also offers up to 20 weeks of maternal and parental paid leave and innovative benefits such as Leave Share and Ramp Back, which give new parents flexibility to support their growing families.

“We appreciate Amazon’s continued investment in Oklahoma City and look forward to the positive impact their presence will have on future job creation and the overall economy of our great city,” said Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt.

Amazon leverages its scale for good to support local communities. Amazon has also pledged to invest over $700 million to provide upskilling training for 100,000 U.S. employees for in-demand jobs. The programs will help Amazon team members from all backgrounds access training to move into highly skilled roles across the company’s corporate offices, tech hubs, fulfillment centers, retail stores, and transportation network, or pursue career paths outside of Amazon.

"Amazon's continued growth in Oklahoma City is a recognition of the strength of our market," said Roy Williams, President and CEO of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber. "These 500 jobs are particularly important as people who have lost jobs due to the pandemic are looking for long-term stable employment."

Amazon in Oklahoma:
    • Since 2010, Amazon has created more than 4,000 jobs in Oklahoma and invested more than $650 million across the state, including infrastructure and compensation to its employees.
    • Amazon’s investments have contributed more than $530 million in GDP to the Oklahoma economy and have helped create over 4,100 indirect jobs on top of Amazon’s direct hires – from jobs in construction and logistics to professional services.
    • More than 14,000 independent authors and small and medium businesses in Oklahoma are selling to customers in Amazon’s store, creating thousands of additional jobs across the state.
    Oklahoman has an article trying to boast how they reported on this before the Amazon press release. Fails to mention you reported it first. They make it sound like they went out and found all this through records when you were the one who released the information and gave them insight to look into it as well

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Oklahoman has an article trying to boast how they reported on this before the Amazon press release. Fails to mention you reported it first. They make it sound like they went out and found all this through records when you were the one who released the information and gave them insight to look into it as well
    Yep. Pretty outrageous, even for them:

Steve Lackmeyer wrote about the project way back in July when it had a code name with the city — "Project Glove." Through good reporting practices, Steve was able to report on the project using public records and confirmation from multiple city officials, despite a lack of confirmation from Amazon. At the time, Amazon told Lackmeyer they didn't comment on "rumors and speculation."
    https://oklahoman.com/article/567751...nt-is-old-news

I can 100% guarantee you that Steve and several of their other reporters sit on our Twitter feed, let us do all the real work, then reverse engineer a 'story' they try to claim as their own. The fact they go so far out of their way to try and take credit is an admission of guilt.

Our story was out fully 2 days before theirs and I can assure Lackmeyer had no idea until we broke the news. Then spent 2 days trying to work backward.

Blog Entries

Can you update your map showing all the amazon facilities and how this one fits in?

Thread Information