Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mary Eddy's

Default Re: Mary Eddy's

Could someone please tell me where the "West Village" is located. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Could someone please tell me where the "West Village" is located. Thanks!
    Sheridan from Blackwelder to EK gaylord more or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Sheridan from Blackwelder to EK gaylord more or less?
    No.

The West Village is between Classen Blvd. on the West, Shartel on the East, Main on the north, and Sheridan on the South.

This is fantastic! So much warmer and more interesting than the bar, which I always found cold and off-putting.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This is fantastic! So much warmer and more interesting than the bar, which I always found cold and off-putting.
    Agree. Love this!

No.

The West Village is between Classen Blvd. on the West, Shartel on the East, Main on the north, and Sheridan on the South.
    Thank you for the location boundaries. I wish who ever co-opted the name "West Village" would have created a unique name with no reference to NYC or the "Village" suburb that is surrounded by OKC. Most confusing!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Thank you for the location boundaries. I wish who ever co-opted the name "West Village" would have created a unique name with no reference to NYC or the "Village" suburb that is surrounded by OKC. Most confusing!
    The word "village' is a pretty common term for describing/naming a neighborhood or district. We need more villages.

What about the Clock?

I went to Mary Eddy’s last night with a couple friends and the redesign is absolutely top notch. The new cocktails are very good and the service was excellent. I highly recommend going to check it out. I would say it’s not for large groups of people (7+), though they have a large private room. It is set up to be much more intimate than it was before and makes for a nice change of pace from the super busy or crowded places like Jones Assembly. This is definitely going to be one of my regular spots.

By the way, when we went last night, it was busy but not overly so—I’d say 50% full—and one of the managers told me it was nice to get a bit of a breather after a whirlwind first two days open. He said that after OKCTalk posted the pictures and the story on social media, people flooded in there. Goes to show you how influential OKCTalk has become.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    By the way, when we went last night, it was busy but not overly so—I’d say 50% full—and one of the managers told me it was nice to get a bit of a breather after a whirlwind first two days open. He said that after OKCTalk posted the pictures and the story on social media, people flooded in there. Goes to show you how influential OKCTalk has become.
    Thanks for mentioning this.

Our Instagram post on Mary Eddy's received over 4,300 likes and 40,000 engagements. For the year, we are averaging over 2,400 (!) likes per post.

The script has completely flipped in the last few years. It used to be that the Oklahoman would steal our work and it would upset me to no end. Now, we can post the same information at the same time (like OKANA) and our digital traffic is exponentially larger. They really aren't competition any longer and even those who defend them completely recognize their unethical tactics, and that is coming home to roost especially since most of their content is no longer local.

OKCT is huge on Facebook as well (and Twitter to a lesser extent) and I now get daily messages asking that we promote something.

Just remembered a funny story... When Mary Eddy's and the bar were under construction in the 21c, I was able to get a couple of interior photos through the papered windows. They sent me a not very happy message demanding that I take them down. Now, look at how things have changed.

I've talked to local social media managers and people in PR, and it's unquestionable that OKCTalk has way, way more engagement than ANY social media account in OKC. There are some that have more followers (like the TV stations) but our engagement numbers are many multiples higher. And, I track the trends of all the most popular social media accounts in OKC and we are growing at least 10x as fast as any of them. We now have over 130,000 social media followers and have added more than 30K this year alone, and that number is increasing at an increasing rate.

But, as they say, with great power comes great responsibility. I refuse to promote dodgy things like Relax Park or Farmers Bank or TEEMCO when the Oklahoman is serving as a shill with full-page, PR-driven 'stories' they don't even bother to fact check. And of course, we do a good job of independent research that uncovers such scams.

It's really rewarding after spending a decade pouring my heart and soul (and money) into this work. But even more important, it's awesome to be able to educate people on all the great things happening here and all the many more yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thanks for mentioning this.

Our Instagram post on Mary Eddy's received over 4,300 likes and 40,000 engagements. For the year, we are averaging over 2,400 (!) likes per post.

The script has completely flipped in the last few years. It used to be that the Oklahoman would steal our work and it would upset me to no end. Now, we can post the same information at the same time (like OKANA) and our digital traffic is exponentially larger. They really aren't competition any longer and even those who defend them completely recognize their unethical tactics, and that is coming home to roost especially since most of their content is no longer local.

OKCT is huge on Facebook as well (and Twitter to a lesser extent) and I now get daily messages asking that we promote something.

Just remembered a funny story... When Mary Eddy's and the bar were under construction in the 21c, I was able to get a couple of interior photos through the papered windows. They sent me a not very happy message demanding that I take them down. Now, look at how things have changed.

I've talked to local social media managers and people in PR, and it's unquestionable that OKCTalk has way, way more engagement than ANY social media account in OKC. There are some that have more followers (like the TV stations) but our engagement numbers are many multiples higher. And, I track the trends of all the most popular social media accounts in OKC and we are growing at least 10x as fast as any of them. We now have over 130,000 social media followers and have added more than 30K this year alone, and that number is increasing at an increasing rate.

But, as they say, with great power comes great responsibility. I refuse to promote dodgy things like Relax Park or Farmers Bank or TEEMCO when the Oklahoman is serving as a shill with full-page, PR-driven 'stories' they don't even bother to fact check. And of course, we do a good job of independent research that uncovers such scams.

It's really rewarding after spending a decade pouring my heart and soul (and money) into this work. But even more important, it's awesome to be able to educate people on all the great things happening here and all the many more yet to come.
    Have to thank you again for all the work you've done for this site and OKC. This site is, hands down, the best informational site about OKC out there, and probably one of the best repositories of this type of information about any city in the US (city-data.com may be the best source for statistics for cities, but OKCTalk bests them for actual info about what's going on in a city).

It really can't be understated just how much of an asset OKCTalk is and how incredible Pete is. OKC is very fortunate to have someone like Pete who selflessly donates their time to making information like this known.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It really can't be understated just how much of an asset OKCTalk is and how incredible Pete is. OKC is very fortunate to have someone like Pete who selflessly donates their time to making information like this known.
    Strongly agree with all the above posts regarding the site and Pete, at the risk of steering the thread away from its topic. I think the pics of the restaurant look incredible, and I have yet to visit.

Default Mary Eddy's

My wife and I gave Mary Eddy's a try Friday night.

What a smashing interior, maybe the coolest and most glamorous in OKC right now. This place is a must visit, either for a full dinner or a couple of drinks and small or shared plates.

The food and service were both very good, but the real star is just the space itself. It is a-ma-zing!

The restaurant was packed (even the bar seats) and despite our lack of reservations, we were immediately seated and then quickly greeted by our server.

I don't really remember the old Mary Eddy's menu, so I'm not sure what has changed, but for a starter, we had the excellent French onion dip with house made potato chips that I remember from past visits. Very good. Honestly there are few restaurants in which I enjoy house made potato chips. Mary Eddy's' are among the best I've tried: crispy, slightly salty, and not noticeably greasy. The chips are substantial enough to gather generous scoops of the dip itself, which features caramelized onions and also would make the perfect bar snack.

We moved on to salads. My wife had the wedge, which is dressed with a somewhat elevated ranch (with bleu cheese I think?), and I had the house green salad. The wedge was good as expected. As for the house green salad, I wasn't super pumped about the vinaigrette; it's probably just a matter of preference but it leans a bit on the sweet side for my tastes.

For mains, my wife had the scallops and I gave the crispy chicken breast a shot. Both were well executed dishes. Minor complaint: the potato puree, which forms the foundation for the chicken, could be more flavorful. This is the only item needing a punch or two in the flavor department, and ultimately the potatoes are rescued by a mushroom romanesco broth for dunking. The chicken itself is pretty spectacular with a super crunchy breading that would be hard to replicate at home. We should know because we have labored earnestly throughout the Pandemic to make a great breading for things like chicken cutlets and fish and chips.

The scallops are accompanied with an unctuous saffron cream sauce, but as my wife pointed out, the sauce is almost unnecessary because the natural flavor of the scallops itself is so good. Still, who in their right mind is going to complain about a silky saffron cream sauce for added flavor?

The drink menu is very cocktail focused and if I had any suggestion, it would be to add more wines by the glass. The menu is rather sparse for reds by the glass right now, but the two we tried paired nicely with the food.

We finished up with the apple crisp, which is predictably excellent and served warm with local ice cream (and expertly packed to go because we were totally stuffed).

Our server was delightful, as were the hostesses. Service was professional and conscientious while remaining relaxed and friendly. A rotation of two people ensured we were left wanting nothing. And despite the super cosmopolitan feel of the restaurant, there wasn't an ounce of pretension from the staff, who were warm and welcoming.

The real showstopper is the space itself. It's something to behold after dark because the dim and moody lighting is sensual and warm, and the design of the room lends itself better to the namesake of the restaurant than its previous incarnation, striking a distinctly non-minimal ambiance. Oversized chandeliers and dark green wallpaper with bright floral prints contrast the bright and gorgeous emerald seating, giving the room the feel of a gaudy Victorian parlor shaking hands with a bohemian Parisian salon. And somehow this sensory overload works amid all of the concrete in the building and the postmodern, minimalist design throughout the 21C lobby. It's beautiful and super sexy and warm, something neither the previous bar nor the former restaurant exuded.

Mary Eddy's is an ideal place to take a date, host a newcomer, or welcome anyone visiting OKC. It's worth the splurge and dramatic after dark!

Now that is a review, awesome right up. Cant wait to give it a shot, it's certainly more difficult to get a table than it was before the remodel.

My wife and I gave Mary Eddy's a try Friday night.

What a smashing interior, maybe the coolest and most glamorous in OKC right now. This place is a must visit, either for a full dinner or a couple of drinks and small or shared plates.

The food and service were both very good, but the real star is just the space itself. It is a-ma-zing!

The restaurant was packed (even the bar seats) and despite our lack of reservations, we were immediately seated and then quickly greeted by our server.

I don't really remember the old Mary Eddy's menu, so I'm not sure what has changed, but for a starter, we had the excellent French onion dip with house made potato chips that I remember from past visits. Very good. Honestly there are few restaurants in which I enjoy house made potato chips. Mary Eddy's' are among the best I've tried: crispy, slightly salty, and not noticeably greasy. The chips are substantial enough to gather generous scoops of the dip itself, which features caramelized onions and also would make the perfect bar snack.

We moved on to salads. My wife had the wedge, which is dressed with a somewhat elevated ranch (with bleu cheese I think?), and I had the house green salad. The wedge was good as expected. As for the house green salad, I wasn't super pumped about the vinaigrette; it's probably just a matter of preference but it leans a bit on the sweet side for my tastes.

For mains, my wife had the scallops and I gave the crispy chicken breast a shot. Both were well executed dishes. Minor complaint: the potato puree, which forms the foundation for the chicken, could be more flavorful. This is the only item needing a punch or two in the flavor department, and ultimately the potatoes are rescued by a mushroom romanesco broth for dunking. The chicken itself is pretty spectacular with a super crunchy breading that would be hard to replicate at home. We should know because we have labored earnestly throughout the Pandemic to make a great breading for things like chicken cutlets and fish and chips.

The scallops are accompanied with an unctuous saffron cream sauce, but as my wife pointed out, the sauce is almost unnecessary because the natural flavor of the scallops itself is so good. Still, who in their right mind is going to complain about a silky saffron cream sauce for added flavor?

The drink menu is very cocktail focused and if I had any suggestion, it would be to add more wines by the glass. The menu is rather sparse for reds by the glass right now, but the two we tried paired nicely with the food.

We finished up with the apple crisp, which is predictably excellent and served warm with local ice cream (and expertly packed to go because we were totally stuffed).

Our server was delightful, as were the hostesses. Service was professional and conscientious while remaining relaxed and friendly. A rotation of two people ensured we were left wanting nothing. And despite the super cosmopolitan feel of the restaurant, there wasn't an ounce of pretension from the staff, who were warm and welcoming.

The real showstopper is the space itself. It's something to behold after dark because the dim and moody lighting is sensual and warm, and the design of the room lends itself better to the namesake of the restaurant than its previous incarnation, striking a distinctly non-minimal ambiance. Oversized chandeliers and dark green wallpaper with bright floral prints contrast the bright and gorgeous emerald seating, giving the room the feel of a gaudy Victorian parlor shaking hands with a bohemian Parisian salon. And somehow this sensory overload works amid all of the concrete in the building and the postmodern, minimalist design throughout the 21C lobby. It's beautiful and super sexy and warm, something neither the previous bar nor the former restaurant exuded.

Mary Eddy's is an ideal place to take a date, host a newcomer, or welcome anyone visiting OKC. It's worth the splurge and dramatic after dark!
    Great write up! I’ve be thinking about taking a date there. Thanks!

Has anybody been to both here and city and state? I'm interested in an interior comparison.

Thread Information