Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Thumbs down Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Hi all - thought this would be an interesting topic. OK - I'll start:

Hobby Lobby Corporate. The more they grew, the more "untrusting" they became. Alot of the "Managers" there didn't treat their employees with much respect. The only reason this would be an issue is because of their "Christian" platform. Apparently the Do Unto Others motto does not apply to them. THat place was definitely full of Hypocrites...

MadMonk Guest

Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

I know a couple of guys in the Hobby Lobby IT shop and they seem to be happy, but I can't speak to the rest of the organization.

It seems that there are are a lot of unhappy people at Hertz these days, with layoffs and re-org/outsourcing.
    Hertz cites economy in metro layoffs | NewsOK.com

Awww C'mon guys - play in this thread.....no one will know who you are.... (hehe)I thought for sure there would be a few more responses!! And MadMonk, I had heard alot of bad at Hertz...very micro-managed ??

4. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

I had a lot of friends who worked for Hertz at one time or another. Almost all of them hated it and left under bad circumstances.

I've heard terrible things about the Hartford.

Dell?

From what I've heard, everyone rags on Dell, Hertz, Sprint, and Cox. The best places seem to be the smaller companies, which is also my situation.

Airport Parking (Ampco System Parking) They treat there employees kind a like cattle, they dont trust any of the cashiers at the toll booths, there pay is really really bad. Ever since the city outsoruced everyhing at the airport the pay sucks and benifits are just a dream

Dillards Penn Square Mall. I would throw a party if it should ever burn to the ground.
    Also, County Line BBQ. May they rot.

10. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Ditto on Dillards Penn Square.

I agree that the smaller companies are better to work for, management does not have to worry about pleasing the shareholders. I work at the Midland Group campus (Midfirst Bank) and positively love it there.

I have had the misfortune of working at Cox and I do mean misfortune. I used to think that it was preposterous when someone said that they were allergic to their job, but after working there, I now understand. During my short employ with them, I was constantly getting headaches and breaking out in hives. Shortly after leaving, my body returned to normal. I felt like such a robot there.

I also agree with you, kmf563, I cannot stand the Dillards at Penn. The people that work there do not understand the concept of excellent service. I wish Nordstrom would replace them, THEY know good service!

One thing I have noticed is that most of the time it is the employees that give a company a crappy work enviroment. I left my last job because of all the slack ass employees they were hiring.

I take pride in every job I have ever held. I rarely call in, I put in a full day of work and I make it a point to do my job in a professional manner. It is pain in the ass when people call in because they want to not because they are sick or have a family emergency. When the slackers do come to work they come in late, look like crap, do half ass job, goof off and then want to go home early.

In the end the rest of have to suffer because a new policy has to be written and enforced to correct the habits of the slackers. In my opinion every employer should have the right fire at will. If they can show someone is piece of crap employee they should be able to fire them.

Thanks to all the feel good labor laws the only way you can fire someone is when they break the law, not show up for three consecutive days or through layoffs.

13. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    I had a lot of friends who worked for Hertz at one time or another. Almost all of them hated it and left under bad circumstances.
    Add me to that list. It was so bad there that I actually considered writing a book about it. But of course, they'd get their New York/New Jersey lawyers after me and try to sue me into silence. That's one of their favorite tactics.

I believe at one time there was actually a HertzSucks.com website. I haven't checked on it in years. Hertz probably sued the heck out of them too.

If you have a certain mindset, you can be happy there, but for most people, it turns out to be hell on Earth.

14. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Mid-Del schools. For many, many reasons I will never go back and I will never recommend a teacher go there.
    Still corrupting young minds

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    One thing I have noticed is that most of the time it is the employees that give a company a crappy work enviroment. I left my last job because of all the slack ass employees they were hiring.

I take pride in every job I have ever held. I rarely call in, I put in a full day of work and I make it a point to do my job in a professional manner. It is pain in the ass when people call in because they want to not because they are sick or have a family emergency. When the slackers do come to work they come in late, look like crap, do half ass job, goof off and then want to go home early.

In the end the rest of have to suffer because a new policy has to be written and enforced to correct the habits of the slackers. In my opinion every employer should have the right fire at will. If they can show someone is piece of crap employee they should be able to fire them.

Thanks to all the feel good labor laws the only way you can fire someone is when they break the law, not show up for three consecutive days or through layoffs.
    Judging by your comments it would appear that you are a model employee. I have no reason not to take you at your word, or to assume otherwise. My question is this. As a model employee with a work ethic such as yours, one that seems to be above reproach. How could a policy that is written for, and then enforced, and done for the pupose of correcting the poor habits of those sub standard employees possibly affect you?
    Also, your opinions regarding an employees right to continued employment seem to contridict one another. On one hand it's your belief that you, and your co-workers should be employeed under the doctrine of an "at will employee". In the state of Oklahoma there are many employees that do in fact work, at the will of thier employers, or thier superiors That may workout fine for the model employee like yourself. For your sake I hope you never work for someone, or more importantly become subordinate to someone, who can fire you, just because they can. Maybe they don't like your hair, or they don't like your church, or maybe they have a relative that really wants or needs your job.

You then state that a employer should be able to fire a piece of crap employee, that is of course if the employer can "show" them to actually be pieces of crap. Now we're talking about working under the doctrine of "just cause" as it pertains to discipline and/or termination. Sure there must be some form of documintation to support the claims of a bad employees infractions, and poor work performence. If that is done, and done honestly, and fairly, then by all means fire thier ass.

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post
    Add me to that list. It was so bad there that I actually considered writing a book about it. But of course, they'd get their New York/New Jersey lawyers after me and try to sue me into silence. That's one of their favorite tactics.

I believe at one time there was actually a HertzSucks.com website. I haven't checked on it in years. Hertz probably sued the heck out of them too.

If you have a certain mindset, you can be happy there, but for most people, it turns out to be hell on Earth.
    There's a blog about the current goings-on there. Lots of interesting comments. I'm sure once Hertz's attorneys get wind of it it'll disappear.
    Hertzblog

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post

So is it true, you have to swipe your card each time you leave your "station" for a bathroom break? Is it a very micro-managed place to be??

18. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

I spent eight years working at the Data Center for Hertz, and thought I would be there until I retired. I found that my satisfaction with my job had a direct correlation to the leadership abilities of my boss. Bad boss = horrible work environment. Good boss = good job. If you know Sam G., you know he is a great guy and a professional and conscientious person. It was a pleasure working for him my last few years there and I wouldn't have left if I hadn't gotten such a great opportinity. I wasn't even job hunting.

My biggest complaint about Hertz was the stupid shoe regulations.

I think the Chamber is the best place to work. Ever. Especially if you are interested in progress in Oklahoma City and enthusiastic about the growth and success of our hometown.

My husband works at Hertz. Years ago he was at the data center, but is now at the admin center. He LOVES his workgroup, including his boss and the VP that is in charge of his particular area, but will admit the company has some serious problems.

The new ownership has made some strides in trying to bring up employee morale, at least recognizing that there are some problems that need to be addressed. At the end of the day, however, with the principal executive management team in New Jersey, it's really hard to connect with the employees here in OKC.

I know they are making some sort of effort, but I don't think it's very focused. The recent layoffs certainly didn't help matters much.

My husband claims Hertz is certainly not the BEST place he's ever worked, but he also says it's not the worst place, either.

I'm surprised no one has brought up Ackerman-McQueen as a "worst place." Talk about your chop shop. The place is a veritable revolving door of advertising/marketing folks. Work there and grow some very thick skin. Late hours, low pay, and lots of getting yelled at. A circus of fun!

20. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

I hear bad things about Enterprise. Washing cars in suits, long hours, underpaid, etc.

a la mode, inc. - not sure if they've gotten rid of the cots in back, as programmers were "expected" to pull all-nighters to meet deadlines. Deadlines that were tied to incentives that were never given. Multiple lawsuits against the place and it's owner.

MadMonk Guest

I once knew a guy that worked there. He was the most easy-going person you can imagine and he really knew his stuff (but he wasn't a programmer). I heard all about the cots. They messed with him so much with the high pressure and low rewards (but plenty of promises) that he finally quit along with several others. He's happily working elsewhere now and has warned me never to even consider A La Mode.

COX made me change carrers.I did communications for 8yrs in So.Cali and LOVED it.Cox did not take my education into consideration.They said I had to go through Cox University....that was a joke!!! Their trainers did not even know how the nodes or any of their equipment work.Their supervisors..brown nosing all the time! They black balled me when they heard I had spoken to some reps from C.W.A. But enough about them, I totaly love my new carrer.I think it was a sign from above to leave that field and go into helping people. Coca-Cola was a great place to work(at least for me).Good manegment,poor logistics though.

Angry Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I once knew a guy that worked there. He was the most easy-going person you can imagine and he really knew his stuff (but he wasn't a programmer). I heard all about the cots. They messed with him so much with the high pressure and low rewards (but plenty of promises) that he finally quit along with several others. He's happily working elsewhere now and has warned me never to even consider A La Mode.
    Many a marriage/relationship has been ruined by [a la Camode], most headhunters know about the bad reputation they have there. I've heard that the environment has changed somewhat, but they still tend to look for people with low self-esteem that they can brow-beat into submission, so they can pocket all the profits for themselves.

25. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Quote Originally Posted by julieriggs View Post
    I think the Chamber is the best place to work. Ever. Especially if you are interested in progress in Oklahoma City and enthusiastic about the growth and success of our hometown.
    How do you get a job at the Chamber?

Thread Information