Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Love's Field (softball)

Default Re: Love's Field (softball)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe that large dirt area down the 1st base line (identified as Fan Plaza on the stadium map) will eventually be covered in artificial turf. Not sure if that will get done before Friday's opener.

Also, I don't understand what they are doing in sections 16 & 18 on either side of dead center field. Tons and tons of work to put in stone risers and artificial turf and then just cover it up with aluminum benches? Why? It looks like they may be removable but what is the point of that?
    I think originally those were going to be first come first serve picnic areas .... but with the demand of tickets becoming what it was they decided to make it seating .. well after the plans were final ..

and not really knowing what the long term ticket demand will be this gives them flexibility moving forward ..

I believe that large dirt area down the 1st base line (identified as Fan Plaza on the stadium map) will eventually be covered in artificial turf. Not sure if that will get done before Friday's opener.

Also, I don't understand what they are doing in sections 16 & 18 on either side of dead center field. Tons and tons of work to put in stone risers and artificial turf and then just cover it up with aluminum benches? Why? It looks like they may be removable but what is the point of that?
    Bonus Photos!!! Thanks, Pete.

I agree, I'm super confused about the left/right center field areas. I assumed those were going to be blanket/lawn chair sections. My only guess is they wanted to break the home attendance number that Alabama owns so the bleachers allowed them more butts in seats. The architecture might have been too far along before they made that decision so metal bleachers was the only option.

^

I think BoulderSooner is exactly right: after plans were finalized, what had been planned as a casual picnic area they decided to add more bleachers instead to sell section 16 & 18 as season tickets.

I know those sections were sold to new season ticket holders.

Am I nuts, or did they change their mind on what kind of plants to put in dead center? They look different than Pete's last update.

Also, It looks like they are laying down Bermuda sod on the southern entrance. I agree artificial turf would make sense on the fan plaza, just for practicality.

Curious what the wood panels are behind the center field section aswell? Looks like they're arranged to be individualized picnic areas.

Quote Originally Posted by LRSooner View Post
    Curious what the wood panels are behind the center field section aswell? Looks like they're arranged to be individualized picnic areas.
    Yes, I believe that's what it is. Maybe they'll add tables and chairs?

7. Default Re: Love's Field (softball)

...Also, I don't understand what they are doing in sections 16 & 18 on either side of dead center field. Tons and tons of work to put in stone risers and artificial turf and then just cover it up with aluminum benches? Why? It looks like they may be removable but what is the point of that?
    Just spitballing here, but my best guess is that they will leave the bleachers intact for most games but remove them and make those terraces SRO to increase capacity for sellout games.

Edit: posted my theory before I read further down the thread and saw BoulderSooner's guess, which also makes sense.

Here’s a look of how the scoreboard will look in action.

https://x.com/j_batacao/status/17629...biAPJAxJhTwfZw

Why with everything at OU are there always multiple shades of red (crimson) ? The OU logo, chair backs are crimson as they should be and look great. The padding all through out the facility that covers the brick is Fire Engine red. Nebraska would love it. Mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershoes View Post
    Why with everything at OU are there always multiple shades of red (crimson) ? The OU logo, chair backs are crimson as they should be and look great. The padding all through out the facility that covers the brick is Fire Engine red. Nebraska would love it. Mind boggling.
    To an extent that is going to be hard unless you chose only one material/manufacturer to be the red of your stadium, even that is likely only going to work early in stadium life since different exposer to sun/elements/contact likely will cause differences in color over time on things that looked identical out of the factory.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershoes View Post
    I for one think the colors in this new stadium make it look outstanding. My mind is boggled by what a great job they have done. It looks great. Proud to be an alumnus and OU athletic supporter… especially proud of the excellence that is Sooner softball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    To an extent that is going to be hard unless you chose only one material/manufacture to be the red of your stadium, even that is likely only going to work early in stadium life since different exposer to sun/elements/contact likely will cause differences in color over time on things that looked identical out of the factory.
    Not to mention that the same color can look different depending on the material. For instance, the hard plastic of the pads reflect light way differently than do the soft fabric most seats are made of. Different day’s, different materials, different applications, different light, all contribute to differences.

That was my first thought when I saw that too. Anyway, this is going to be the gold standard going forward for softball stadiums. It is spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Not to mention that the same color can look different depending on the material. For instance, the hard plastic of the pads reflect light way differently than do the soft fabric most seats are made of. Different day’s, different materials, different applications, different light, all contribute to differences.
    this is the correct answer ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is the correct answer ..
    They don’t match the red in the field paint either but the chairbacks do. Just saying. Oh, and they had them the correct color at Marita Hynes.

Anyway not worth arguing about. Personally I'm old school and like green chairs and pads.

Here's an article about the Scoreboard and it has some photos of how it looks in action. https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spor...e/72776874007/

72780399007-mg-6121.jpg

17. Default Re: Love's Field (softball)

Pete, I sent you a private message

Shout out to Pete for all the great updates along the way. I know the project isn't 100 percent done but it's been fun watching all the progress. Thanks again.

^

Thanks. I'm getting ready to head down there and will post photos early this afternoon.

One thing I keep coming back to is if there is more demand than expected, why place extra bleachers here? Even if temporary, when it seems like could make as much or more seating with temp bleachers behind the fixed seating on 1st and 3rd baseline seating. They would be in general considered better areas to view even have to place with roof supports in mind, most could still be below the roof, and would have better access to concessions/bathrooms.

One thing I keep coming back to is if there is more demand than expected, why place extra bleachers here? Even if temporary, when it seems like could make as much or more seating with temp bleachers behind the fixed seating on 1st and 3rd baseline seating. They would be in general considered better areas to view even have to place with roof supports in mind, most could still be below the roof, and would have better access to concessions/bathrooms.
    out field seat are great seats in softball

Probably trying to preserve the prestige of those seats behind the dugouts. Those tickets required an additional donation on top of the ticket price. I think they are also trying to preserve the aesthetics of the concourse because it's pretty unique to have something that nice for softball.

They are actively still working on the bleachers even minutes before the ribbon cutting ceremony. Here's a photo from Eric Bailey

https://x.com/EricBaileyTW/status/17...358426379?s=20

Thread Information