Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: May 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: May 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Anon what's your assessment of that Gracemont storm thats heading to SW Metro?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Anon what's your assessment of that Gracemont storm thats heading to SW Metro?
    That storm is starting to look pretty powerful. The cells splitting off of it, also bear watching to the N as it all comes into OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    That storm is starting to look pretty powerful. The cells splitting off of it, also bear watching to the N as it all comes into OKC.
    Is that thing developing an inflow notch??

Storms coming into OKC right now are not very organized, a lot of cells going up around the area making it pretty murky. However, it is still technically SVR warned.

Ping pong ball sized hail reported with that Gracemont storm.

That storm is booking it east around 65mph

Looks to be mostly a damaging wind threat with that South Metro storm at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Looks to be mostly a damaging wind threat with that South Metro storm at this time.
    So will the dryline come through and end this for tonight once this storm is past?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    So will the dryline come through and end this for tonight once this storm is past?
    Yes, this current round should be it for the Metro.

Could easily be 80 mph winds heading towards Moore right now. Not a tornado, but still a very dangerous storm.

Tornado warning issued for Valley Brook (Crossroads Mall) and SE OKC moving NE near 44th

And now there is a tornado warning for the SE Metro.

Literally like, 40 miles separated OKC getting 2 or more inches of rain compared to the. 25 or so we got tonight. Alas.

Hopefully no one is hurt with the tornado in EOC.

14. Default Re: May 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    I get that, 100%. But courthouses serve a public purpose, that sometimes doesn't go on pause for a storm. But putting people first, sure. It is hard to bash. I am not bashing them, just saying it is ironic they closed at 2pm, and storms may not get anywhere near them til 2am. Not bashing, at all.

I will not comment on it any further.
    We had the option to leave early as needed. Take leave, work from home, and everyone decided what was the best time was.
    Earlier in the day, the metro was timed around rush hour, we were instructed to be home by then. Like mentioned above, some have an hour drive, some grabbed kids from daycare, etc. I'm not too far, left work later, but was home early before the evening commute. Closing 2-3PM seems early, but that gives everyone ample time to finish, close up and get home. * I also work for a government agency
    Last edited by OKCbyTRANSFER; 05-06-2024 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Added

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    We had the option to leave early as needed. Take leave, work from home, and everyone decided what was the best time was.
    Earlier in the day, the metro was timed around rush hour, we were instructed to be home by then. Like mentioned above, some have an hour drive, some grabbed kids from daycare, etc. I'm not too far, left work later, but was home early before the evening commute. Closing 2-3PM seems early, but that gives everyone ample time to finish, close up and get home. * I also work for a government agency
    I wasn't bashing them. Just saying it was ironic that it was almost 10 hours after they closed that storms hit anywhere near them. I'm not bashing safety of employees or the courthouse itself, I promise.

16. Default Re: May 2024 - General Weather Discussion

I wasn't bashing them. Just saying it was ironic that it was almost 10 hours after they closed that storms hit anywhere near them. I'm not bashing safety of employees or the courthouse itself, I promise.

I get your point. Really, here, need to get on the side of caution. And once the wall to wall coverage starts, it freaks everyone out, not much gets done productive wise.
    I went to bed around 10 tonight and the phone alert woke me up. Yep, much later than we thought but heck, it's Oklahoma weather. Just so dang unpredictable as much as we try.
    Last edited by OKCbyTRANSFER; 05-06-2024 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Line break

How the storm looked in early development just to the ESE of Stillwater that soon later greatly intensified and formed a tornado that struck Barnsdall and Bartlesville:

Blog Entries

Pictures and videos from Barnsdall are incredible. Wow.

Looks like the latter half of the GFS is starting to hint at more MCS-type systems coming from the northwest. These are typically our real rain makers. Hoping for some pretty good rain in the latter half of May and June!

Thursday May 16th. WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Thursday May 16th. WOW.
    What about Thursday May 16th??

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Pictures and videos from Barnsdall are incredible. Wow.
    One person was killed in Barnsdall. One missing. Some cars were tossed into Bird Creek that borders the town. 25 people had to be rescued from their homes. At least an EF-3 tornado.

The isolated severe storm bearing the Barnsdall tornado happened not long before it collided with the squall line to the west. Once absorbed by it just outside Bartlesville the tornado quickly faded away. Damage was substantial on the south side of Bartlesville. Thankfully, the unique downtown was spared. That is where Frank Lloyd Wright's only skyscraper is built.

Aerial view of Barnsdall by KOTV-6 Tulsa: https://www.newson6.com/story/663a40...ong-bird-creek

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Thursday May 16th. WOW.
    Please stop, Mike Morgan.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    Please stop, Mike Morgan.
    June 2nd, Dang!!!

I don't understand. If so many people don't like Mike Morgan and don't trust him, why are so many even listening to him?

Thread Information