Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1492

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1492

Things can happen I guess. But, I go there a lot and never have had bad service or bad food.

No affiliation. Just go there a bunch. And was there last night

I would contact the manager directly.

I'm sure they'd want to know your experience and concerns.

Absolutely. I just think with the competition being what it has become, folks have to work hard for your business.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    No affiliation. Just go there a bunch. And was there last night
    Understood. Just a bit shocking to hear you characterize it as a "fabrication". I couldn't be more honest about it. I understand your experience was different - fair enough.

And Pete - I tried unsuccessfully to locate a manager. We had an event to get to, so we gave up.

6. Default Re: 1492

I have to ask, if you didn't get any confirmation of reservation or confident in the process as a whole, why even continue to pursue eating there. I would have taken my business elsewhere, unless you were dead set eating there.

Poor judgment on my part...

In all honesty, when I spoke to the person on the phone, she specifically said it wouldn't be a problem. I would have been more skeptical if it had not of been so early in the evening. If I had been trying to reserve at 7 or after, I probably wouldn't have taken the risk. With one of the other posters saying there were a couple of Christmas events there, I wonder if she just didn't know about them and didn't bother to check before telling me 6:30 would work. We probably wouldn't have minded the mistake so much had we not been ignored while we waited.

Side note - we weren't dead set on eating there, but I admit I was really thinking about their ceviche for the better part of the afternoon.

not saying I have had as bad of a time as he did last night, there have been several times, where it has taken the staff over 15 minutes to get our drink orders when it wasn't even that crowded.

We have deleted it from the rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Things can happen I guess. But, I go there a lot and never have had bad service or bad food.
    Same here. Service and food are always good. The two beef enchiladas with the green sauce on top (can't think of the name) are the best enchiladas I've had in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Same here. Service and food are always good. The two beef enchiladas with the green sauce on top (can't think of the name) are the best enchiladas I've had in the city.
    You're probably referring to salsa verde.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    You're probably referring to salsa verde.
    Lol. I know what salsa verde is.

I meant the name of the dish.

I looked up the menu and its called the "El Jefe."

Two Beef Burritos Topped With Queso Verde with Rice and Beans

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Lol. I know what salsa verde is.

I meant the name of the dish.

I looked up the menu and its called the "El Jefe."
    OK, I wasn't sure what you were referring to.

"El Jefe" . . . "The Boss" . . . Makes me wonder if and when The Boss is ever going to get that Cassidy Square location open. What's it been? Three years? Hopefully this is no preview of the speed of service once it opens its doors . . .

btw: "Queso Verde" literally means, "Cheese Green" . . . If it's what I imagine it to be it's probably a lot like melted Velveeta mixed with some Herdez Salsa Verde and maybe some roasted, chopped tomatillos along with maybe a can of those diced green Hatch chiles. Except with something besides Velveeta or Cheese Whiz. Perhaps Monterrey Jack? Queso Fresco?

Blog Entries

Usually queso fresco. You can get good white queso fresco on SW 29th and make your own. Easy to make without resorting to velveta and rotel...ugh.

Usually queso fresco. You can get good white queso fresco on SW 29th and make your own. Easy to make without resorting to velveta and rotel...ugh.
    Rover,
    I have found queso fresco in a lot of stores including several in Edmond. It's really good on nachos, and of course lots of Mexican recipes call for it. Buy-For Less, Uptown, and I think I have found it at Walmart.
    C. T.

16. Default Re: 1492

I'll vouch for BoulderSooner when he says he has no affiliation there. Like many places in downtown and midtown, it's just a place that he frequents regularly.

All of that out of the way, speaking as someone who has owned/managed in the service/hospitality industry I'm certain that 1492's ownership/management would like to hear from you directly, and certainly would have preferred a chance to fix things AND make things right with you prior to being lambasted on the Internet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Rover,
    I have found queso fresco in a lot of stores including several in Edmond. It's really good on nachos, and of course lots of Mexican recipes call for it. Buy-For Less, Uptown, and I think I have found it at Walmart.
    C. T.
    Thanks. I'll look at BFL. I don't shop WalMart and UPtown too far...for now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I'll vouch for BoulderSooner when he says he has no affiliation there. Like many places in downtown and midtown, it's just a place that he frequents regularly.

All of that out of the way, speaking as someone who has owned/managed in the service/hospitality industry I'm certain that 1492's ownership/management would l ike to hear from you directly, and certainly would have preferred a chance to fix things AND make things right with you prior to being lambasted on the Internet.
    Every good owner in every kind of business wants a chance to hear, fix and improve. Unfortunately, it is way easier to get mad and go post on a site than it is to try to do it the right way. Some just need others to get mad with them and want revenge, not improvement.

Thanks. I'll look at BFL. I don't shop WalMart and UPtown too far...for now.
    Rover,
    I don't know what you are close to, but there are a couple of mercado's (Mexican grocery stores) on N. W. 23rd between Meridian and MacArthur, and another one on 16th, and the BFL on 36th and MacArthur has a lot of Hispanic food. Also, the Homeland on Britton and May has a nice cheese bar and I am certain they have queso fresco
    C. T.

I've never had a terrible experience at 1492, but I've made reservations several times and still had a 15 minute wait when I arrived. Annoying, but the food is good enough to be worth the trouble in my opinion.

cferguson Guest

I will start with the fact that 1492 is one of my wife and I's favorite restaurants. It is a frequent date night for us and we have always loved the food. However, I have to admit that the last few times we have went, we left less than satisfied. Within the last few months, we have noticed some changes within the staff. Some of their best waiters are absent and the new ones haven't been able to fill their shoes. Anyways, we always order the plain queso blanco and the last 3 or 4 times it has been slightly warmer than room temperature. One time, the queso came out with the clumps of cheese still present because it wasn't heated enough. We politely asked the waiter if he could warm it up and he reluctantly did. He came back and said something like "here is your queso, we nuked it pretty well so it should be hot!". I mean, I know when we ask to heat it up, they're going to use the microwave, no big deal, but the way he said it when he brought it back just didn't fit the atmosphere of a nicer restaurant. We went friday, ordered drinks and queso blanco right off the bat as always (which once again was not hot), and didn't receive our drinks util the appetizer was practically gone and about 2 minutes before the meal was served. The service has just been lacking lately. In addition, calling ahead and talking to the hostess has always been interesting. They rarely come off as warm and inviting to make reservations, or to give you an idea on how long the wait will be. We love the food so we go anyways, but I could see this being a problem for people calling that have never been there before. Overall, my wife and I will continue to go to 1492 because we love it so much, it really has been our most frequented spot for a date night. But there definitely has been a slide in the service, and sometimes in the food itself. Hopefully, they will get their act together.

22. Default Re: 1492

Honestly, if you're a regular then I would think you'd know the owners Marco and Arturo, at least one of whom is usually there and who regularly greet and interact with patrons. I don't know Marco well but have known Arturo for years, since his time as sommelier at Mickey Mantle's, and I know for a fact that he has a strong commitment to food quality and customer service. I'm not disputing your experiences because honestly I haven't been in a few months, but good grief, bring it up with those guys and let them try to make it right with you before ditching one of your "favorite restaurants" or turning other potential patrons away via online complaint.

It's entirely possible that service/quality has slipped - especially in this tight service labor market - but speaking from experience it's not always easy to catch immediately and owners/managers NEED constructive feedback - especially from regulars - to fix things when they start to wander. I'm positive these guys would appreciate yours, but in person instead.

cferguson Guest

I understand where you are coming from and I am not trying to turn people away via an online complaint. I have always loved this restaurant and still do. I was just trying to share some of my recent experiences. I haven't seen Marco at the restaurant the last several times I have been there and last two times I was there I didn't see either of them. They are both nice people and run a great restaurant. It is a great restaurant and I highly recommend anyone that hasn't been to go check it out. We have been going there for years and will continue to go as I stated above.

The long awaited 1492 in Cassidy square had night 1 soft opening last night. Night 2 soft is tonight. And they plan to be open on Monday.

It is a great space and should be a home run

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    The long awaited 1492 in Cassidy square had night 1 soft opening last night. Night 2 soft is tonight. And they plan to be open on Monday.

It is a great space and should be a home run
    Wow, good to hear, thought it was dead a couple of years ago so we gave up thinking about it, we'll have to give it a shot soon, thanks for the info!

Thread Information