Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: March 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: March 2023 - General Weather Discussion

The cold weather this morning is a joke! Where is the warm weather in the mornings?

I mean, we’ve just been in a below-average temperature pattern in general since the last strong cold front moved through on Thursday, and we’ve gotten several reinforcing shots of cold air since then. Tomorrow morning will be the last below freezing temperatures until October or November, if I had to guess. Average last freeze of the winter is March 30th, so this is right around normal in that regard.

SPC still maintaining Marginal severe risk for C OK tomorrow evening. Again, low development chances, but high chance of anything that does develop being severe.

Fire danger from the strong winds will likely be the main focus Thursday into Friday. Smoke and dust will be blasting in from the W. As mentioned in this thread recently, the divide of I-44 has been extraordinary lately.

EURO is more bullish on rainfall total than the GFS. Storms will be moving through central and eastern OK Friday morning

Don't hold your breath for storms in OKC. Latest short-range models not liking storms anywhere but E OK. Will keep watching, especially satellite data for any CU fields that get busy.

Jeez. WTF is going on this year?! I keep telling myself the cold fronts will quit coming in so fast and strong and things will open up a bit more for OKC as we go along, but I can’t help but be discouraged with the lack of rain so far this year.

7. Default Re: March 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Jeez. WTF is going on this year?! I keep telling myself the cold fronts will quit coming in so fast and strong and things will open up a bit more for OKC as we go along, but I can’t help but be discouraged with the lack of rain so far this year.
    It sure seems like we haven't been getting rain. I just checked Mesonet to see how little we've had. I was surprised to see were .1 to .5 inches above normal for Oklahoma County YTD.

It’s been a knife’s edge for the Metro to start the year. Norman Mesonet site has had 6.8” over the last 90 days. OKC Mesonet site at 5.8” in the same time period, and Yukon Mesonet site way down at 3.0”. El Reno Mesonet site has fared even worse at 2.0”.

Overcast and cool. Don’t think the storms are happening today.

10. Default Re: March 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Did just catch a shower. I risked driving the Miata today. Just put the top up for the 3rd time in 10 years.

Anything that forms today will be elevated, mostly rain and maybe some thunder. A stronger line of storms will develop in eastern OK in the early morning hours and move quickly east. The next system arrives end of next week and could be interesting in that it may come more out of the southwest which could bring more widespread rain/storms

Storms firing south and east of OKC. These look a little spicier than originally forecast but no organized severe wx likely

As mentioned earlier, strong winds will come blasting in today from the west as the dryline pushes out. Saturday actually looks pretty nice here in OKC, 60s and light wind. Sunday the wind picks back up as we warm back up heading into next week, where we will likely see some 80s Monday and Tuesday.

Tornado outbreak expected to begin today [Friday] in the next few hours across IA,MO, IL, all the way down toward MS.

14. Default Re: March 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Two areas of TORCON 9's!

Holy dust storm!

Good thing we've had decent rain recently. The sky is already brownish.

First High Risk upgrade from SPC in over 2 years. Two of the largest PDS tornado watches I have ever seen. Could be a historic outbreak day for the Mississippi Valley.

As for OKC. Here is the wind. Everyone enjoy your allergies tomorrow.

17. Default Re: March 2023 - General Weather Discussion

The current color of the sky is why I named my cat Dusty.

I work near some construction sites and holy moly is the sky reddish brown around us.

I miss rain and storms. It’s been nothing but wind and cold so far this spring. Really concerned about Hefner if our spring goes the way it did last year with rain only coming through over a period of 1-2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I work near some construction sites and holy moly is the sky reddish brown around us.
    Probably because of the fires?

Several large wildfires ongoing on the NE side of the Metro.

22. Default Re: March 2023 - General Weather Discussion

The midwest tornado's today are almost countless! It is turning out to be historic!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    The midwest tornado's today are almost countless! It is turning out to be historic!
    There are so many supercells with hooks on them off to our east.

Maybe it’s because I’m grouchy today but this is the first time in a while where I really feel climate change is going to be really rough for okc. Tornadoes are shifting east. We’re seeing some of the driest, windiest conditions I can remember, and we’re dealing with a serious drought. I really wish things pick up for us soon. Tomorrow is April and rain chances for the first week and half of April look pretty poor.

Thankfully La Nina is on its way out and El Niño usually brings more “normal” weather patterns to Oklahoma.

It was right around the second half of April 2018 when the pattern flipped from dry to wet for the next year-plus. Hoping for the same thing this time around.

Thread Information