Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: SH 74 Widening

Default Re: SH 74 Widening

So anyone know if past 164th if they are going to keep it limited access or are they going to leave the intersections. They should definitely make it limited access all they way to Waterloo. It would be nice if the kept the west alignment all the way too, so Portland would stay a normal road, but I think this is way too forward thinking for ODOT.

Also, are there any plans to tie this in to the turnpike better? You should be able to go any direction on the turnpike or SH74 without getting off and going through the lights.

As for the made up construction zones with way too low speed limits. I was rear ended in one such zone when the police decided to turn it into a massive speed trap. The area hadn't been under construction for 4 months, but was a 2 mile stretch between two other construction area. I saw a lot of other accidents in that zone during the week long speed trap, none any other time.

Edit: Oklahoma is also the worst start with construction zones. Kansas merges you, puts up a concrete wall then lets you drive a reasonable speed. Other states pull down the construction speed limit signs as soon as construction is over, Oklahoma leaves them up for months or like now puts them up away from the actually construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    So anyone know if past 164th if they are going to keep it limited access or are they going to leave the intersections. They should definitely make it limited access all they way to Waterloo. It would be nice if the kept the west alignment all the way too, so Portland would stay a normal road, but I think this is way too forward thinking for ODOT.

Also, are there any plans to tie this in to the turnpike better? You should be able to go any direction on the turnpike or SH74 without getting off and going through the lights.

As for the made up construction zones with way too low speed limits. I was rear ended in one such zone when the police decided to turn it into a massive speed trap. The area hadn't been under construction for 4 months, but was a 2 mile stretch between two other construction area. I saw a lot of other accidents in that zone during the week long speed trap, none any other time.

Edit: Oklahoma is also the worst start with construction zones. Kansas merges you, puts up a concrete wall then lets you drive a reasonable speed. Other states pull down the construction speed limit signs as soon as construction is over, Oklahoma leaves them up for months or like now puts them up away from the actually construction.
    It's going to be intersection for now.

Sorry about the over sized picture. I'm too lazy to convert it to smaller right now.

nm

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post

In oklahoma

Blow a red light? No big deal, you were in a hurry and don't have time to stop.
    Go 2mph over the speed limit in a construction zone that's been finished for 3 months? Jail, not really but I did get a ticket. Took it to court and got it dismissed.

6. Default Re: SH 74 Widening

Its alarming how many drivers ive seen run red lights lately

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Go 2mph over the speed limit in a construction zone that's been finished for 3 months? Jail,
    This is a pet peeve of mine. They start closing lanes well before the construction begins. I've come across those light up signs that tell you that it's narrowing to one lane up ahead and ten miles later, it still hasn't narrowed. Which causes undue congestion as many people begin to get over when they see the sign. Then they narrow down to one lane 5 miles early and when you pass the construction there's only about 100 feet of construciton going on. But it continues to be one lane for 5 more miles past the construction. And then, when the construction is completed, they don't come and take away the pilons, clean up the area and reopen the lanes in a timely manner.

No offense guys, but some of you are pretty ignorant in regards to highway and road construction. First, guys just don't go slap pylons up when they're working and then take them down. Work zone traffic safety plans are researched and designed by specialty subcontractors specifically for jobs and situations. Then take into account variables that occur during construction, and it just doesn't make logical sense to mobilize a traffic safety sub multiple times just because there might be a reason for a stoppage. You may look and think work is done, but often there are reasons why the work zone is still up (typically because THE PROJECT ISN'T COMPLETE).

Trust me, OCPD isn't conspiring with road contractors on where to set up work zones.

Thank you! I've noticed they often go above and beyond what some seem necessary for a reason and that is people don't pay attention and end up injuring or killing someone and then its anyone but their fault on why it happened. I drive this stretch almost everyday and there is almost always someone pulled over and there is always someone riding my ass for going 35. Adds on about 3 or 4 extra minutes to the trip which is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    No offense guys, but some of you are pretty ignorant in regards to highway and road construction. First, guys just don't go slap pylons up when they're working and then take them down. Work zone traffic safety plans are researched and designed by specialty subcontractors specifically for jobs and situations. Then take into account variables that occur during construction, and it just doesn't make logical sense to mobilize a traffic safety sub multiple times just because there might be a reason for a stoppage. You may look and think work is done, but often there are reasons why the work zone is still up (typically because THE PROJECT ISN'T COMPLETE).

Trust me, OCPD isn't conspiring with road contractors on where to set up work zones.
    OCPD may not be conspiring, but the contractors are failing on their job to remove things in a timely manner, and OCPD may have been capitalizing on this laxness. I have personally witnessed at least 4 projects that were complete, yet the signs/barriers stayed up for months longer than they should've (the NW 164th/Penn/May/Western area). I know they were physically completed, with no more work to be done (everything was striped, resurfaced, there was literally nothing more that could be done), because I drove by/through them every day until they took the barriers down.

All I'm saying is, that while work "looks" completed, it may not always be the case. You could place some partial blame on the city for that, final inspections have to be signed off on and those aren't always done in a swift manner.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post

I understand what you are saying. A lot of times the project isn't fully complete, but a lot of times it is. Either way, Oklahoma is much worse about removing construction zones at the end of the project. Either because they take forever to fully sign everything off, or because they just forget to pick up the cones.

Other states also use much more dynamic construction zones, where Oklahoma likes to set up the zone one time for the full length that will ever bee touched.

Thanks for the posting the image. I live west of the intersection at 164th so I'm interested in this project. Am I reading the plan correctly that "Eastbound 164th wanting to head South 74" will not have an on-ramp prior to 150th? Is that the intention that you won't be able to get on until passing Crossings? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by C. B. View Post
    Thanks for the posting the image. I live west of the intersection at 164th so I'm interested in this project. Am I reading the plan correctly that "Eastbound 164th wanting to head South 74" will not have an on-ramp prior to 150th? Is that the intention that you won't be able to get on until passing Crossings? Thanks.
    Uncertain, but I think it means that you can access the highway from 164th but not from the access road until you pass 150th.

Boy thats really bad design if that's the case. I'm wondering if there is an on ramp mixed in closer to the actual intersection that you just can't see because of the proximity of so many yellow lines?

There will be direct access because 164th and Hw74 will be an intersection. You will just go and turn onto it if I believe I understand what you are asking?

164th will be a traditional intersection not an interchange. The you can access the service roads from 164th or use the off ramp at NW150th and SH74.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    164th will be a traditional intersection not an interchange. The you can access the service roads from 164th or use the off ramp at NW150th and SH74.
    Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks.
    I guess I was looking further into the future when the next phase is done & 164th becomes an interchange. Hopefully then, there will be an on ramp closer to the interchange without having to travel over a mile down the frontage road.

Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks.
    I guess I was looking further into the future when the next phase is done & 164th becomes an interchange. Hopefully then, there will be an on ramp closer to the interchange without having to travel over a mile down the frontage road.
    Yeah, I'm almost certain when they do turn it into an interchange, it will have north and south on/off ramps.

I noticed that they are finally starting to lay asphalt (sigh). It looks like they are doing it correctly on the long straight stretches. They are putting down nearly a foot of base material then laying the asphalt. UNFORTUNATELY, I don't understand whatsoever what they are doing where the asphalt meets the existing road north of NW 164th. They have just compacted the clay soil and are laying multiple layers of asphalt directly on that. Do they not have any geoengineers working with them? Do they not understand the properties of clay? You can compact it when it is dry, but the moment water gets in there, it squishes like jelly. You cannot compact it. Within a year or two, I wouldn't be surprised to see that new surface rutted like the old road is now and filled with various potholes. That road gets a lot of heavy trucks down it. Not good....

Not to disagree with what you are saying and I didn't drive it any this weekend but the immediate section north of 164th they did the exact same 1ft of gravel base. Now closer to where it will meet Portland they did exactly what you described but for maybe a couple hundred feet and I had the same thoughts of if they messed this up it will show within a few years but I watched them repeat the same process on the stretch north of 164 where they laid the gravel for about two days and then have been asphalting it like crazy.
    On a side note I read the progress report a few weeks back and they say they are over halfway. The rain set them back a few months but they seem to be making good time and the bridges look fairly done. On the section where I saw them lay the asphalt directly on the clay I'm curious that when they buikd out the new section if it doesn't include tearing part of that up and sente that when they bid out the new section if it doesn't include tearing part of that up. Which then while a small waste of money would make sense if they know it will be redone in a few years to add the ft base. But that's just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Now closer to where it will meet Portland they did exactly what you described but for maybe a couple hundred feet...
    That is exactly what I was referring to. I wonder if they are doing it this way because of the future widening up to Covell? I'm just not sure. I know that is a common method of road construction in neighborhoods (asphalt directly on dirt). You can see the surface sloughing and potholes where it looks like the road just squished away. That is from regular car traffic!

The bulk of the road seems to have been properly constructed though. Still would have liked to have seen concrete like the rest of Hefner parkway. Oh well..

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    I noticed that they are finally starting to lay asphalt (sigh). It looks like they are doing it correctly on the long straight stretches. They are putting down nearly a foot of base material then laying the asphalt. UNFORTUNATELY, I don't understand whatsoever what they are doing where the asphalt meets the existing road north of NW 164th. They have just compacted the clay soil and are laying multiple layers of asphalt directly on that. Do they not have any geoengineers working with them? Do they not understand the properties of clay? You can compact it when it is dry, but the moment water gets in there, it squishes like jelly. You cannot compact it. Within a year or two, I wouldn't be surprised to see that new surface rutted like the old road is now and filled with various potholes. That road gets a lot of heavy trucks down it. Not good....
    The section on clay where it meets the existing road is probably temporary and if so more designed for speed of deployment than longevity.

I'm still betting they will have this project done before the widening project on Western between 164th and 178th is done. Not to derail this topic, but if those guys on Western were any slower, they'd be in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I'm still betting they will have this project done before the widening project on Western between 164th and 178th is done. Not to derail this topic, but if those guys on Western were any slower, they'd be in reverse.
    I know that project has had a lot of existing utilities in the way that have caused delays. From what I've been told on other projects, say they run into an AT&T fiber line, they have to wait for AT&T to go through the process of letting our a contract to relocate their lines, wait for that work to be completed, and then come back and start over.

Thread Information