Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Parking Spot is coming to Will Rogers Airport!!

Default Re: The Parking Spot is coming to Will Rogers Airport!!

That will probably mean that I will just get another ride to the airport for now. I just don't like parking there.

What's wrong witth parking at the airport?

Until last weekend I can't remember the last time I parked at the airport. It's been years. No big deal though. The shuttle at lot 2 was fast and check out was easy. (Spot had made checkout better than fast trac and who ever it was before them.) I don't know how much cheaper it formerly was to off airport park but it seemed a fair bit easier and faster to park at the airport and not that expensive.

Yeah at larger airports I understand parking off airport (always did this back home in Houston), but here it just seems like a no brainer to park at the terminal when it's so cheap at $7/day.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Yeah at larger airports I understand parking off airport (always did this back home in Houston), but here it just seems like a no brainer to park at the terminal when it's so cheap at $7/day.
    Exactly. Right or wrong, the airport keeps parking rates low to make it difficult for off airport businesses to succeed. They'd rather take lower revenue but control the market than have a larger split with off airport like most airports do.

Right or wrong, it's great for travelers in OKC. After paying $17/day at DFW for terminal parking (didn't make a habit of it at that price), it was hilarious to park at the terminal here for a week long Alaska vacation and pay the same as a weekend jaunt from DFW.

I did not realize the parking was 7 a day. Is that right at the airport? Anytime I have left a car it was in the lots just a bit to the north, well south of 54th. I thought those were around 4, but it has been a while since I used one of the lots.

Anymore if I grab a rental I just do it via Budget in the Sears at the mall in Norman. Clint and his people are great to work with.

7 bucks a day is in the garage closest to the terminal

Lot 1 $4
    Lot 2 $5
    Lot 3 semi covered $6
    Garage $7
    Hourly parking $1 an hour.

Spot self park was $3.35 and $5.90 valet (according to ads still on the web.)

We parked in Lot 2 which is just north of the parking garage.

Map at the link:

WRWA > AIRPORT PARKING & RATES

(Seems really cheap after paying $22 to park one night in downtown Chicago!)

Pete, you might want to change the title on this lol

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    What's wrong witth parking at the airport?
    My few experiences with that have not left me with a comfortable feeling, especially at night and I wouldn't want to leave my car there for any extended period. I like the valet parking that has been offered offsite.

FWIW, I think OnCue would be perfect there. We need a gas station really close to the airport.

I have parked at the airport ten to fifteen times for extended periods and the price in lot 1 (I didn't realize the price varied based on lot) is $20 per week. Anything less than a week is $4 per day. That's pretty cheap and I like the convenience of having my car sitting there waiting for me.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Lot 1 $4
    Lot 2 $5
    Lot 3 semi covered $6
    Garage $7
    Hourly parking $1 an hour.

Spot self park was $3.35 and $5.90 valet (according to ads still on the web.)

We parked in Lot 2 which is just north of the parking garage.

Map at the link:

WRWA > AIRPORT PARKING & RATES

(Seems really cheap after paying $22 to park one night in downtown Chicago!)

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    I have parked at the airport ten to fifteen times for extended periods and the price in lot 1 (I didn't realize the price varied based on lot) is $20 per week. Anything less than a week is $4 per day. That's pretty cheap and I like the convenience of having my car sitting there waiting for me.
    C. T.
    on airport parking does not have weekly rates ( it use to have weekly rates until about 3 years ago). The rates range for long term parking $4-$7 per day.

15. Default Re: The Parking Spot is coming to Will Rogers Airport!!

And you realize that there are 2 gas stations at 29th and Meridian....it's not really that far to get the tanked filled as you return the car.....

Have always parked at the airport....very close to terminal and very cheap compared to other major airports in the region.

One other thing to keep in mind....several hundred additional spots will open up soon once the rental cars are moved to the new CONRAC set to bid in September (opening March 2015).

Have used the terminal parking facility my last few times out of OKC - not bad. Surprisingly full everytime, it's actually quite challenging to find a space. I live about 15 min from the airport but spent nearly that long looking for a parking space. However what's up with the shoddy workmanship basically everywhere, from the elevators with the nasty flooring, half the buttons not working, poor finishing in the tunnels, poor signage in the garage - WRWA really went low budget and it shows! Not a good impression for visitors IMO.

Not to mention the spaces in the garage are just too dang small since 90% of Oklahoma drives their oversize pickup truck everywhere - I have a crossover and was seriously concerned about even making it around a few corners in the garage. Might have to park at one of the outside lots from now on and just hope it doesn't hail.

It's pretty odd to have the north parking garage in unfinished gray concrete backed right up against the other painted parking garage and with all the other nearby concrete having a painted buff finish too.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Have used the terminal parking facility my last few times out of OKC - not bad. Surprisingly full everytime, it's actually quite challenging to find a space. I live about 15 min from the airport but spent nearly that long looking for a parking space. However what's up with the shoddy workmanship basically everywhere, from the elevators with the nasty flooring, half the buttons not working, poor finishing in the tunnels, poor signage in the garage - WRWA really went low budget and it shows! Not a good impression for visitors IMO.
    Seems to be a systemic problem in OKC. See Project 180 - OKCTalk starting at post #1856. I think it is mainly because people accept garbage and contractors are eager to provide garbage if it leaves an extra penny or two in their pocket. Somehow shoddy workmanship at a low price is confused with frugality or fiscal responsibility around here.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post

Not to mention the spaces in the garage are just too dang small since 90% of Oklahoma drives their oversize pickup truck everywhere - I have a crossover and was seriously concerned about even making it around a few corners in the garage. Might have to park at one of the outside lots from now on and just hope it doesn't hail.
    A kindred spirit! I have asked these same questions I don't know how many times. The whole set up looks like ****. It's really quite embarrassing. Every time I pass through there with friends, they ask when it's going to be updated and I have to tell them this is the upgrade. I think Dave nailed it - it's another case of shoddy work coming in dirt cheap and somehow that equates to fiscal responsibility. It's a real problem in OKC.

21. Default Re: The Parking Spot is coming to Will Rogers Airport!!

I dunno, I spent some serious time at LAX the past few weeks and I'll take our airport any day over that one. It might be the worst place in the world. Worse than the Belle Isle Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I dunno, I spent some serious time at LAX the past few weeks and I'll take our airport any day over that one. It might be the worst place in the world. Worse than the Belle Isle Wal-Mart.
    The terminal building itself is a very nice design. I really like the mix of materials they used. But how well built is it? Will it last? Many things in OKC are kind of like the "palaces" in Iraq - from a distance they can look somewhat impressive, but upon closer inspection they are cheesy pieces of crap.

23. Default Re: The Parking Spot is coming to Will Rogers Airport!!

The tunnel is definitely horrible. You would think they could hire a couple art students to go to town and design a really welcoming passage way. I'm sorry...I just have to chuckle at their "creative" expression being the #20 multicolor lights they put in the skylights. I'm shocked there isn't an extension cord hanging from them all the way to the ground to an outlet in the wall.

Glad there are others that see it like I do (has been a problem on this board before, hah). Agree about the tunnel - doesn't have to be anything psychedelic like the connector in Detroit's McNamara Terminal (Detroit Airport / McNamara Terminal Tunnel - YouTube), but something - anything(!) would be an improvement. The elevators might be the worst though - just disgusting. Really too bad. Oh, and since this thread was about TPS - I guess we can assume they are done here? Makes me sad to see the little "OKC" printed in all their ads in the in-flight magazines. Ah well...

So I suppose TPS is officially done here? OKC is no longer on their website or on their coupons in this month's American Way. Really too bad. Hopefully another operator comes in and takes over the site - it will definitely get some business.

Thread Information