Widgets Magazine
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Fordson Hotel (formerly 21c Museum Hotel)

1. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Isn't the Ambassador already an Autograph Collection? Doubt we'd get a 2nd one of those flags.

While I'm a Hilton guy, having a nicer Hyatt in OKC would be good for business travel and Hyatt loyalists. We don't have any of their nicer flags...
    The Ambassador, The National, and I'm pretty sure the Ellison are all autograph collection.

2. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    The Ambassador, The National, and I'm pretty sure the Ellison are all autograph collection.
    The Ellison is a Tribute portfolio hotel, but the other two are Autograph.

Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Interesting that business travel was what the ownership was going for. Seems to be an odd fit for that.
    Being downtown, you'd think that's the primary target market for every hotel down there.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Being downtown, you'd think that's the primary target market for every hotel down there.
    I know you're not trying to be argumentative, but the property is a leisure property that will cater to leisure travelers looking for a different experience. That's not to say biz travelers wouldn't use it. I would but I'm a weirdo.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    The Ellison is a Tribute portfolio hotel, but the other two are Autograph.
    Good catch y'all. Point stands corrected, adding a 3rd Autograph collection downtown would be pretty crazy.

6. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

ya, this property isn't in or near the CBD so it's a little bit of a stretch to expect business traffic. They 'could' solve this with a limosine shuttle or if the streetcar gets extended.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    ya, this property isn't in or near the CBD so it's a little bit of a stretch to expect business traffic. They 'could' solve this with a limosine shuttle or if the streetcar gets extended.
    I guess only in OKC is a few blocks from the very center considered not in or near.

Was the problem that the hotel was too far away, or that the City didn't develop west as fast as the 21C leadership thought it would?

9. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

@Rover: Yes very much so, just like in Seattle the south lake union is not near the cbd (taxi or transit is needed/exists connecting the two).

West Village appears to be disconnected from the CBD or business people aren't going to walk the few blocks. Otherwise, YOU explain why 21C didn't get business clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Was the problem that the hotel was too far away, or that the City didn't develop west as fast as the 21C leadership thought it would?
    Probably neither, bro.

Blog Entries

@Rover: Yes very much so, just like in Seattle the south lake union is not near the cbd (taxi or transit is needed/exists connecting the two).

West Village appears to be disconnected from the CBD or business people aren't going to walk the few blocks. Otherwise, YOU explain why 21C didn't get business clients.
    21C doesn’t really cater to business travelers. Hyatt’s reservation system will smoke them.

Four 4 days last October, the 21CMuseum Hotel hosted the 79th Annual Plains Anthropological Society conference. I met people from the British Museum that flew in just for the conference along with others from all over the country. They did an excellent job hosting. My only complaint was some of the conference rooms used for lectures were a little small. Also heard a few complain about a lack of restaurants. I can see that when 300 to 400 are turned out at the same time for lunch.

My understanding is that this hotel is set to become part of the Unbound Collection by Hyatt:

https://www.hyatt.com/brands/unbound-collection

The closest is The Driskill in Austin and Hotel Kansas City. I'm familiar with the Mar Monte in Santa Barbara, which is one of the nicest hotels anywhere.

The Hyatt affiliation and booking power should go a long way toward the hotel finally realizing its potential.

I believe a big part of the problem with the 21c is they charged Hall Capital (the property owner) exorbitantly high fees which made the entire business model somewhat unworkable. As has been discussed, the hotel occupancy rate has been chronically low.

I know that the Utah Jazz were staying there when Covid struck the NBA.

15. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

Honestly joining the Hyatt reservation system will be just the tonic this beautiful place needs. It’ll probably fill up right away, despite its challenges. And by challenges I mean some square footage efficiency issues, and being located a bit off the beaten path (although clearly, the area is experiencing a dramatic improvement and reinvention). It also helps that the owners are patient money. They’re very strategic, and are simply never going to do anything out of panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Honestly joining the Hyatt reservation system will be just the tonic this beautiful place needs. It’ll probably fill up right away, despite its challenges. And by challenges I mean some square footage efficiency issues, and being located a bit off the beaten path (although clearly, the area is experiencing a dramatic improvement and reinvention). It also helps that the owners are patient money. They’re very strategic, and are simply never going to do anything out of panic.
    That's really what draws business travelers. What platform are you on, business guys usually love to accumulate points and then spend them on personal vacations.

DonÂ’t beat OKC up over losing the 21c brand. I live and own a retail store in Bentonville and since they went to the Accord system things havenÂ’t been the same. The Brown family (Jack DanielÂ’s) opened the Bentonville location over 10 years ago. The Walton family (Walmart) own the property which was new construction. Rates have skyrocketed and the restaurant has horrible reviews over the past few years. Even though itÂ’s still viable in downtown Bentonville, AR, itÂ’s definitely lost itÂ’s umphÂ….at least locally!

^

Thank you for that perspective.

I'm sure this change to the Hyatt system is going to end up being an improvement, but very grateful for 21c for their time here.

I would miss the changing art exhibits from 21C. Maybe somehow it will continue ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I would miss the changing art exhibits from 21C. Maybe somehow it will continue ?
    Yes, Hall Capital and the Jones family are the primary benefactors of the Fred Jones Museum of Art in Norman (which is excellent), and they've already indicated art would likely rotate between the hotel and the museum.

21. Default Re: 21c Museum Hotel

isn't it the owners that have dumped 21c/Accor and not that OKC lost their flag? Just want to be sure I understand what happened.

isn't it the owners that have dumped 21c/Accor and not that OKC lost their flag? Just want to be sure I understand what happened.
    I believe the owners (Hall Capital) didn't want to continue their relationship with 21c and then went out and found an operator that is better suited (Hyatt).

But you never really know in these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe the owners (Hall Capital) didn't want to continue their relationship with 21c and then went out and found an operator that is better suited (Hyatt).

But you never really know in these situations.
    I heard that the corporate costs of 21C were too high to run the hotel profitably. Source is a former employee that is close with a lot of the current team.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    I heard that the corporate costs of 21C were too high to run the hotel profitably. Source is a former employee that is close with a lot of the current team.
    Heard the same thing.

The artwork has started coming off the walls in the building.

Thread Information