Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kobe ate at waffle house tonight

1. Default Re: Kobe ate at waffle house tonight

I think OKC needs to change a little bit, when it comes to Stars visiting/living in town. Don't you all realize, that OKC's attitude is why the big timers think OKC is boring?

Those stars are used to people clammering for autographs, and when they visit the middle of america and everybody has a "nobody cares" and "let the stars have their peace" attitude - players and the media following them will always revert back to the tired ass image of OKC being backwater, boring, and small/hick - all because people in the town don't 'recognize' stars.

I would hope, the younger people on this forum would be thrilled to see Kobe and hear about what he does when he's in the city. I totally agree that there seems to be way too much conformity and angst on this forum - Jeeze people, you are a major league city now; it's ok to let loose a little and enjoy the fame!

After all, it's Kobe Bryant - arguably the biggest NBA superstar since Michael Jordan.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Kobe ate at waffle house tonight

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Metro, you can call this lame but I know if lilwayne said he saw Kobe eating at RedPrime I would have heard you from my house pounding on your keyboard writing a post about how Kobe is so cool, RedPrime and Tuck are the best, and then maybe suggest Kobe go to LifeChurch if he gets the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I think OKC needs to change a little bit, when it comes to Stars visiting/living in town. Don't you all realize, that OKC's attitude is why the big timers think OKC is boring?

Those stars are used to people clammering for autographs, and when they visit the middle of america and everybody has a "nobody cares" and "let the stars have their peace" attitude - players and the media following them will always revert back to the tired ass image of OKC being backwater, boring, and small/hick - all because people in the town don't 'recognize' stars.

After all, it's Kobe Bryant - arguably the biggest NBA superstar since Michael Jordan.
    Well, sports guys may be addicted to the attention but when my kids see stars in NYC, they wouldn't dream of asking for their autograph or otherwise bothering them. It is just not done in a more "sophisticated" venue. Which is probably why the stars in NYC can go outside and walk their dog without being pestered.

I am not a huge Kobe fan.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    That Kobe eating at a Waffle House is "news."
    You are always such an ass. I don't know why your outlook on life is so dark and gloomy, maybe you aren't as successful as you wish you were, but your harshness and snobby attitude is going to scare off new members, guaranteed. People do not wanna post and be part of an online community filled with douche bags like yourself.

^^^^^Sooo, let me get this straight,Metro puts The word (news) in quotes,and there for is a douche?and an Ass? WOW! is it possible for people here to disagree with others,and not have to use curse words and be so hurt by others comments?

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    ^^^^^Sooo, let me get this straight,Metro puts The word (news) in quotes,and there for is a douche?and an Ass? WOW! is it possible for people here to disagree with others,and not have to use curse words and be so hurt by others comments?
    Agree!!

7. Default Re: Kobe ate at waffle house tonight

I agree, maybe metro isn't a fan or doesn't think Kobe eating at waffle house is real news. I can respect that.

but I also can respect those who would be fascinated that Kobe ate at waffle house while they were also eating there. And that they went and got an autograph from Kobe.

I mean, he is the world's biggest basketball star (arguably), so regardless of where he eats - you should expect people to get excited to some extent.

I also was speak ing of OKC in general and early year articles where players were saying OKC was boring. Maybe they think it is boring because of OKC's attitude of 'let live free from distraction.' Players and stars could be mistaking this as "OKC don't know who I am, so therefore OKC is backwater or boring."

I think there could be a balance and to do so more OKC people should be more outgoing when stars are in town. Otherwise, the "image" of OKC might persist because even in Wichita or Omaha people get excited when stars are in their towns.

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    No, but the fact that he came into this thread and tried to discredit the excitement of the OP is an douche bag thing to do. If you disagree, fine, but no need to take away from those who may find joy in something. And you are an ass for taking his side. That is like siding with the devil. And yes, I did just compare metro to the devil.

^^^^LOL, soonerfaninokc? how big of an ass am I? I hope a real BIG one!

alright everyone, that's enough. back to topic. -M

Dang, you guys are making us punks on the politics threads look like cream puffs.

I posted on my FB last night... "Advice to Kobe & Derek: Don't eat at the Waffle House the night before you play my Thunder. Those cakes won't help you". Maybe Ron Artest should have gone with them. I think he's still clueless as to what happened last night!

I agree, maybe metro isn't a fan or doesn't think Kobe eating at waffle house is real news. I can respect that.

but I also can respect those who would be fascinated that Kobe ate at waffle house while they were also eating there. And that they went and got an autograph from Kobe.

I mean, he is the world's biggest basketball star (arguably), so regardless of where he eats - you should expect people to get excited to some extent.

I also was speak ing of OKC in general and early year articles where players were saying OKC was boring. Maybe they think it is boring because of OKC's attitude of 'let live free from distraction.' Players and stars could be mistaking this as "OKC don't know who I am, so therefore OKC is backwater or boring."

I think there could be a balance and to do so more OKC people should be more outgoing when stars are in town. Otherwise, the "image" of OKC might persist because even in Wichita or Omaha people get excited when stars are in their towns.
    I read and hear the exact opposite down here, the one constant that I have seen interviews and from some people who know some of the music/movie "stars" who live here in Austin or visit quite often is they enjoy the fact they can pretty much go out in public and not be hassled by paparazzi and fans like they are when in LA.

I never understood the whole autograph thing, I have had one in my entire life and I didn't ask for it, the person next to me did, that was Lonnie Smith after an 89'rs game (before he went to the Phillies) and I was probably around 13 years old. I believe acknowledgment is fine but there is no need to harass someone between bites, especially for an adult, I can understand if a kid wants an autograph. Sure some egomaniacs may want the attention but the majority of them would probably rather eat in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I posted on my FB last night... "Advice to Kobe & Derek: Don't eat at the Waffle House the night before you play my Thunder. Those cakes won't help you". Maybe Ron Artest should have gone with them. I think he's still clueless as to what happened last night!
    Ron Artest is clueless of reality, so that is probably his normal state.

14. Default Re: Kobe ate at waffle house tonight

Austin is considered a hip and upcoming city. OKC is not.

So that is why Im thinking OKC might want to get some 'wow' factor - whereas Austin already has it.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    No, but the fact that he came into this thread and tried to discredit the excitement of the OP is an douche bag thing to do. If you disagree, fine, but no need to take away from those who may find joy in something. And you are an ass for taking his side. That is like siding with the devil. And yes, I did just compare metro to the devil.
    wow I'm the devil, and people wonder why Oklahoma is seen to have an inferiority complex?

I would hope, the younger people on this forum would be thrilled to see Kobe and hear about what he does when he's in the city. I totally agree that there seems to be way too much conformity and angst on this forum - Jeeze people, you are a major league city now; it's ok to let loose a little and enjoy the fame!

I'm not sure that's true. There was an article recently written about why the NBA players love going to Toronto to play. Three reasons were given, two by the author and one by players. The first two (by author) were that there's great nightlife and it's a very multicultural city. The reason given by the players was that they like going to a place where they're not mobbed and they get to act like a regular person.

I think our lack of great nightlife is probably the biggest negative for visiting players. I'm not sure about the multiculturality issue, as long as there are girls who are interested in them. I still think a smile of recognition or short greeting is the best way to acknowledge a star of any sort. Personally, I would get tired of being mobbed and I'd be especially tired of having to sign autographs. I think they want to be recognized, but after that, I think maybe they appreciate our willingness to give them some space.

But, I think it's cool that we have the opportunity to see Kobe at a Waffle House or anywhere else in OKC, and I don't mind people posting where they've seen players. It is a thrill to see them in settings you consider part of home.

17. Default Re: Kobe ate at waffle house tonight

Kobe ate a late lunch at Hooters in Bricktown. Or perhaps they just had appetizers and such. Steve got his info on that one from me (I just mentioned it to him in passing), and when I saw Kobe I figured he was just arriving when in fact he was leaving. I office in the same building as Hooters, so generally see the comings and goings down there. Kobe generally stops at the Bricktown Hooters at some point every time he is in town. It seems like it is usually the first stop after arrival and hotel check-in. It's mostly mid-afternoon, and that was the case the other day.

As far as I can tell, Kobe and some of his teammates are the most apt NBA players to go to that Hooters. I know Shaq has been there before, and I actually spoke with Mike Bibby when he was there, but most players seem to prefer having dinner at Mickey Mantle's (the list is too long for here, but includes players like LeBron and coaches like Jerry Sloan and Pop). I know players and coaches also make it out to other places in town, but MM's seems to get much of that night-before visiting-team business, perhaps because Chris Paul was so crazy about it and spread the word.

As far as Kobe, Waffle House was likely a dinner spot before or after going to Night Trips or some such place. Seriously. He's a great player, but sometimes the guy seriously seems to have his priorities out of whack.

Waffle House? Hooters? He may be one of the best players in NBA history, but he's got a horrible taste in restaurants.

Any word on who the lucky girl was that got raped while he was in town?

Heck in HS or college, I'd eat healthy before a big game, not greasy processed food.

...and maybe this is why you are not a professional athlete today. Who knows, maybe you were just a few Taco Bell trips away from superstardom.

maybe I need to eat at Waffle House more.

Maybe not after the way Kobe played in OKC ....

yea, my boss was the guy who drove them to hooters. he had done a photo shoot at the sheraton earlier in the day. i just barely missed him.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that is first time that has ever been said by a Human.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb and say that is first time that has ever been said by a Human.
    There are way worse vittles out there than yer typical WH.
    All in all, hangin' at a WH ain't so bad. Never been to a bad one actually, though some have been better than the others.

Ft. Smith - South Rogers was my salvation several years ago when momma was ill and down the street to St. Eddy's.

Norman - W. Robinson has never done me wrong.

In Slidell the WH on the bypass near the LQ a while back was decent, thankfully, as the far superior Cracker Barrel was already closed.

Jerry Sloan ate at Iguana the last time he was here. It was funny. I looked at him and wondered where I knew him from, totally didn't recognize him but knew he looked familiar. One of my friends knew immediately who he was, spoke to him and didn't get a very friendly reply. He was taken to a back room rather quickly. This was before the game, so his sour personality wasn't related to the outcome.

Thread Information