Widgets Magazine
Page 155 of 217 FirstFirst ... 55105150151152153154155156157158159160205 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,875 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

Please no more Hiltons.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Please no more Hiltons.
    Hotels or family members?

I really like the renderings! Modern and a bit sleek.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This may be wholly controversial, but I really like the renderings for this project.
    Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    I really like the renderings! Modern and a bit sleek.
    The new convention center design seems to blend more in with the Chesapeake Energy Arena's new southwest entrance. Overall, Just don't like the two color brick facade of the Peake; they really clash.

Love the modern sleek look. It's more complementary of the Devon Tower & the BOK Park Plaza building under construction. Should add to our new building decor.

Now, can we get the final piece of this puzzle solved--The convention center conference hotel...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As for the hotel, I was told by a very good source that they have narrowed down the choice to Omni and Marcus (Hitlon) and Mortensen (Hyatt) have combined forces to become the 2nd finalist.

That means the other remaining applicant from the 4 finalists, Matthew group (Westin), has been cut.

I am really pulling for Omni as they just started a beautiful convention hotel in Louisville (see below), but my money has always been on Marcus due to the relationship that group formed with Cathy O'Connor through the Skrivin, which it still operates.
    OKC is the only major city in our area (St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Albuquerque, Tulsa, Wichita) that doesn't have a Hyatt Regency:

Here is the proposed design for the 600 room Hyatt Regency in downtown Portland, Oregon by Mortensen:

$212 million, 600-room Convention Center hotel is being part financed by $60 million of Metro issued bonds, which will be backed by lodging taxes paid by hotel guests: http://www.nextportland.com/2015/03/...ention-center/

https://www.oregoncc.org/about/future-hyatt-hotel

Something twice this size in height (22-26 stories) with half the width (with more glass decor) would fit perfectly into the convention center complex, south of the Peake.

Will the hotel qualify for TIF money or does the council have some other source of financial incentives in place?

6. Default Re: Convention Center

Not a fan of that Hyatt rendering above, but I do prefer we get a Hyatt or a Westin, because OKC should have both of those by now. Way too many Hilton and especially Marriott brands.

Love the new Convention Center design.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

7. Default Re: Convention Center

While I agree that OKC may have too many Limited Service/Select hotels; there's definitely not way too many Hiltons,

if anything, we don't have enough as we still need Conrad and a Waldorf-Astoria (which would never happen). I'd also argue we need a proper DoubleTree in downtown. It's nice to have at least one of each brand in a major city, and the top brands downtown - which we're getting there.

not way too many Marriott's either, esp since OKC lost it's former two (one turned into Renaissance). Assuming the Bricktown Renaissance gets built and the existing Renaissance becomes a true Marriott; OKC would still need a Ritz Carleton (which wont happen) not to mention Bvlgari; but I think a JW Marriott is definitely missing downtown.

So just those two flags, OKC does WELL but definitely not too much as we are missing their best brands downtown, considering we should have a Conrad and a DoubleTree and a JW Marriott. I do agree that Hyatt is lagging in OKC, we need a Regency downtown and perhaps a Grand Hyatt (downtown) and/or Park Hyatt (Nichols Hills).

Let's not even get into Starwood (no Westin, W, 4-Points) or Intercontinental/Holiday Inn (no proper HI or Intercontinental in downtown). That's just the major flags; Omni conference hotel will be nice. But you can see OKC has many brands left to add to reach the Tier 2 level that its peers enjoy. Hopefully we'll get there.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

8. Default Re: Convention Center

Generally agree, but most of those flags are not ideal for a convention hotel. Hyatt best fills that void.

W would be my first choice in general for OKC. Could work for the First National hotel.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

9. Default Re: Convention Center

Why Hyatt over Omni, in you opinion?

10. Default Re: Convention Center

jbrown, we agree but I just want to be sure; I wasn't saying that all of those flags would be great for convention hotel, I was saying those are brands OKC doesn't have - but should.

As for the convention hotel itself: I agree that Hyatt Conference Hotel does have a certain cachee that Omni may not (I think Omni is more local/region vs. Hyatt which is worldwide).

Blog Entries

^ ^ ^ ^
    A modern Hyatt Regency (flag for the conference hotel) on the proposed convention center complex would add a jewel to our current hotels.

Hot Rod, you are right; we do need more diversity & variety. A Hyatt Regency of 600-625 rooms; then if we need a second hotel add a 325-350 room Omni on site to our portfolio.

Omni has a 600 room CC hotel under construction in Louisville, plenty of renderings out there of it if you have not already seen....

https://www.omnihotels.com/blog/omni...in-louisville/ I don't know how I feel about the design, but something modern to go with the modern look of the convention center would be awesome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LuccaBrasi View Post
    Omni has a 600 room CC hotel under construction in Louisville, plenty of renderings out there of it if you have not already seen....

Blends in with the Louisville skyline. That particular design doesn't complement our convention center.

Blog Entries

I stayed in the Denver Hyatt Regency this weekend and it was quite excellent so I wouldn't mind that here. In fairness I have not stayed at an Omni.

Omni is pretty great in my experience. Even their aging properties, like the CNN Center in Atlanta, are continually kept fresh.

Blog Entries

Just curious as to the proposed $4.3 million renovations planned for the Skirvin-Hilton. Is this timing a coincidence with the release of the convention center design.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Just curious as to the proposed $4.3 million renovations planned for the Skirvin-Hilton. Is this timing a coincidence with the release of the convention center design.
    Doubtful. They publicly announced that a year ago or so, IIRC.

19. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Hotels need to be updated/refreshed pretty often; they are used hard. Hard to believe; it has been nearly 10 years since the Skirvin renovation. Also, the expiration of the conditions that enabled historic preservation tax credits now allow the owners to demolish/get rid of historic elements that had to be preserved at the time. So, for instance, they are going to demolish and replace the historic tile floor, paint over previously-preserved historic stencils on the walls, etc. This was impossible until recently, without refunding the tax credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    So, for instance, they are going to demolish and replace the historic tile floor, paint over previously-preserved historic stencils on the walls, etc. This was impossible until recently, without refunding the tax credits.
    Ouch! Urbanized, in your opinion are they going to be getting rid of *good* historic stuff, or is it stuff that really truly needs demolition?

21. Default Re: Convention Center

Well, I understand WHY they are doing something like replacing the floor; I just don't agree with the need to. Remember that this is an out of town hotel group (not that this is a bad thing for the most part). They see a worn tile floor and are embarrassed that an out-of-town guest might see it and judge them by the condition. They would prefer the floor be immaculate. Again, understandable.

But if you look at it from a historic preservation and OKC-centric standpoint - and fully understand and appreciate the history behind it - the existing floor has a cool factor that cannot be replaced by a new floor of any type or expense. In the case of this single element (the tile), it was specifically ordered by William B. Skirvin for a purpose. Since Oklahoma City and Oklahoma were in many ways still frontier places in 1911 when the Skirvin opened, he knew that many of his guests would be ranchers, oil men, even tribal leaders. He wanted them to feel at home the moment they came through the door, even though they might be carrying mud on their boots. So instead of using carpets or other more fragile, fancy material he had the floor done in a tough white tile that could easily be swept or otherwise cleaned, so guests wouldn't feel self-conscious or the need to be overly-careful. It was a gracious and welcoming gesture and says a lot about his approach to hospitality and about the type of clientele common during that time in history.

The floor today, while blemished and imperfect, is a direct link to that time and to the founder, William Skirvin. This is why it specifically was identified for preservation when historic tax credits were issued. Does it look gleaming and new? Of course not. But this is clearly not a new hotel, and I personally think as much as possible of its still-intact history should be retained and celebrated. I would much rather see Marcus embrace the floor, have some great area rugs where necessary, and perhaps some prominent signage that explains the floor and tells the story; even brags on it a bit. "Are you wondering why our floor is so beat-up and old-looking? Well, let us tell you a story..."

Some things need not always be so sanitized. But unfortunately the history of the floor isn't important enough to the owner to justify that approach, so bye bye cool old floor.

22. Default Re: Convention Center

What interesting background. Thanks, Ubanized. It's too bad...
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Well, I understand WHY they are doing something like replacing the floor; I just don't agree with the need to. Remember that this is an out of town hotel group (not that this is a bad thing for the most part). They see a worn tile floor and are embarrassed that an out-of-town guest might see it and judge them by the condition. They would prefer the floor be immaculate. Again, understandable.

But if you look at it from a historic preservation and OKC-centric standpoint - and fully understand and appreciate the history behind it - the existing floor has a cool factor that cannot be replaced by a new floor of any type or expense. In the case of this single element (the tile), it was specifically ordered by William B. Skirvin for a purpose. Since Oklahoma City and Oklahoma were in many ways still frontier places in 1911 when the Skirvin opened, he knew that many of his guests would be ranchers, oil men, even tribal leaders. He wanted them to feel at home the moment they came through the door, even though they might be carrying mud on their boots. So instead of using carpets or other more fragile, fancy material he had the floor done in a tough white tile that could easily be swept or otherwise cleaned, so guests wouldn't feel self-conscious or the need to be overly-careful. It was a gracious and welcoming gesture and says a lot about his approach to hospitality and about the type of clientele common during that time in history.

The floor today, while blemished and imperfect, is a direct link to that time and to the founder, William Skirvin. This is why it specifically was identified for preservation when historic tax credits were issued. Does it look gleaming and new? Of course not. But this is clearly not a new hotel, and I personally think as much as possible of its still-intact history should be retained and celebrated. I would much rather see Marcus embrace the floor, have some great area rugs where necessary, and perhaps some prominent signage that explains the floor and tells the story; even brags on it a bit. "Are you wondering why our floor is so beat-up and old-looking? Well, let us tell you a story..."

Some things need not always be so sanitized. But unfortunately the history of the floor isn't important enough to the owner to justify that approach, so bye bye cool old floor.
    Thank you so much for this information! Sorry I missed it until just now.

I totally agree with your suggestions! An explanation of the history would be a GREAT idea! And it wouldn't cost nearly as much as all-new flooring.

We are fortunate to live in a house built in 1923 with all its original and very interesting tile still intact, excepting only the kitchen. I shudder to think if the house had landed with a family who wanted to "modernize" it and destroy nearly a century of history.

24. Default Re: Convention Center

Maybe there can be a compromise here, where they keep some of the old floor and tell the story but replace most of it. The story could read something like this:

Dear Guests: In recognition of the status we hope to achieve as OKC's best hotel we decided to replace the floor and some of the fixtures with modern amenities you expect. Notice the X, Y, and Z - all was added for your comfort and to make your stay the best it can be. However, we also recognize the history of our fine city and the role our hotel played in it; so we kept some of the original floor for future generations to enjoy. <Insert paraphrase from Urbanized here regarding why the floor was selected by Skirvin>. As we continue to evolve as a hotel venue, we hope you enjoy our new modern amenities while we also pay respect to our city's wonderful history.

To me, this type of statement (and keeping some of the history) is world class; I really hope the Marcus folks can take this idea and run with it. ....

They just released the latest convention schedule.

Interesting to look at and see all the various events.

https://res-2.cloudinary.com/simplev...3444c57184.pdf

Thread Information