Widgets Magazine
Page 143 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4393138139140141142143144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,575 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

1. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    The North Canadian has a gate that lets water fill into the canal that fills Lake Hefner. Has for years. Go check it out at the Hwy 66 bridge just to the north. At least it does when there is high water in the river. When they release water from Canton Lake it ends up in Lake Hefner.

For that matter you can check it out on google maps.
    I've learned something. I just drove there to see. For all these years I thought water on flowed from N to S in BC Canal.

2. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Its been a lot worse in past droughts. The city has a plan in place to rely a lot more on Atoka reservoir and pipeline in the coming decades. A higher compacity pipeline is currently under construction and once that gets done the old pipeline will be upgraded.
    It's been much worse. We used to have a sailboat that was in a slip that right now has about 8 to 10 feet of water. We had to strap the boat to the dock structure a couple of times or she would have been on dry ground. Not good for a sailboat keel. Once the water line was 20 or 30 feet from our slip.

Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I've learned something. I just drove there to see. For all these years I thought water on flowed from N to S in BC Canal.
    At Lake Hefner next to MacArthur they have a Canal Road next to where the goats were fenced to eat the weeds/grass at the canal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Went to the park Saturday afternoon. It was filled with people! But the pond was drained. kind of a bummer but me and my pooch had a great time!
    When will the lake at scissortail be filled? Waiting for a gully washer to do the job or what...???

5. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    At Lake Hefner next to MacArthur they have a Canal Road next to where the goats were fenced to eat the weeds/grass at the canal.
    I know. It goes from there, goes underground for a bit, then runs along Council just S of NW Exp and ends up at the river by the E end of the bridge. I just didn't realize it flows S to N.

They have had large concerts in the past on the main lawn. I looked on the website but do not see anything listed on their calendar.

There are 3 night markets upcoming though,that sounds interesting.

https://scissortailpark.org/

7. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    When will the lake at scissortail be filled? Waiting for a gully washer to do the job or what...???
    They have signs around the pond saying "spring". But Friday they had a big trailer mounted pump that was pumping water out. The signs say they're doing maintenance. I could see a number of washed out areas along the shoreline that haven't been touched yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    They have had large concerts in the past on the main lawn. I looked on the website but do not see anything listed on their calendar.

There are 3 night markets upcoming though,that sounds interesting.

https://scissortailpark.org/
    They usually do just a couple of concerts per year on the Great Lawn. The bandshell at Myriad Gardens tends to host more shows over the course of the summer. Guthrie Green up in Tulsa is a similar outdoor space that seems to have really active programming, I need to get up there sometime this spring and check some of it out.

I don't think I've ever seen downtown so busy on a Sunday; both parks were full of people and activity.

The city needs to do something about the stage center field being used as a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The city needs to do something about the stage center field being used as a parking lot.
    Why? It's a vacant lot. Nothing is going there for a while, and cars parking there isn't hurting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Why? It's a vacant lot. Nothing is going there for a while, and cars parking there isn't hurting anything.
    Well, it does kill the grass, and the local school does use it for outdoor activities. Really the City needs to pick a course of action (Paved Parking) or closing it off from parking on the grass.

Because it makes the city look trashy to have people parking on a grass field in the middle of downtown. If the property owners want to use that lot for parking they need to submit the plans for it to design review and get a building permit issued to make the change.

This is not the first time people parking on that lot has come up as an issue and unless I am misremembering the city took action once before.

It's against several city ordinances for the same reason you can't park on your lawn.

A little off topic but does anyone know if OGE is trying to sell the lot or are they just going to sit on it til they want to develop it

Quote Originally Posted by dheinz44 View Post
    A little off topic but does anyone know if OGE is trying to sell the lot or are they just going to sit on it til they want to develop it
    Don't think they have any plans to sell or develop in the foreseeable future.

17. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's against several city ordinances for the same reason you can't park on your lawn.
    I agree it's against several city ordinances. But they're often overlooked. The north end of the fairgrounds during the fair for instance. That has been parking on grass for as long as I can remember. But it's really not night grass. The parking we're talking about here is a decent looking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    They usually do just a couple of concerts per year on the Great Lawn.
    I think the bookers at the Jones Assembly once had something to do with it, but I'm not sure if that was just touring acts and summer concert series, or if that included regular programming.

They do have a call for artists page on the site for all kinds of performers:

https://scissortailpark.org/call-for-artists/

Don't think they have any plans to sell or develop in the foreseeable future.
    Pete, is it true they don't have to pay any taxes on it? https://docs.oklahomacounty.org/trea...463&TaxClass=A

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Pete, is it true they don't have to pay any taxes on it? https://docs.oklahomacounty.org/trea...463&TaxClass=A
    Yes, sadly it's true.

21. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Yes, sadly it's true.
    N/M Misread

What's worse is they are parking on the pedestrian cross block next to the field.

I think the last time this happened, it rained and people destroyed the lot by parking there. I think it was around Arts Festival time.

The problem is this lot has 3 curbcuts in it with zero signage/blockage (currently). It also seems like the Tulip Festival caused most of the parking problems this previous weekend.

I get so bummed when I see that giant, not developed parking lot in between parks.

Quote Originally Posted by caaokc View Post
    I get so bummed when I see that giant, not developed parking lot in between parks.
    That and the Cusake Meat Market at south Scissortail park is so unfortunate for the overall flow of the park. It's surprising how much land is blocked out by Cusake

Thread Information