Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 79 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

1. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Too bad nothing will be done about the I-40/I-44 interchange. I don't even think it is on the ODOT 8-year plan..... will it last that long? Seems to at least need some serious surface work done.
    That part is very dangerous. Mom hate to drive out there when brother forces her to take him to work. Getting off of 40 onto 44 leaves very limited time and room to go from one side to the other side for the 15th street exit. People don't seem to know how to slow down and pay attention to signal light lane change. If the time comes that mom somehow get into an accident, ODOT will be sued. I'm curious how the new I-40 will correct it.

Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Thunder, while the interchange there sucks like most every other one in this city, it is the lane-changing driver's responsibility to MERGE. It is inconvenient and often dangerous to abruptly slow down to let someone onto the interstate or into another lane.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    Yeah, I will be surprised if it is opened even by the end of 2012.

Also, there is an exit ramp to the new boulevard just east of Agnew; I don't see how traffic goes under there, there are multiple columns.
    Most of the columns you're seeing are temporary construction columns which will later be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Most of the columns you're seeing are temporary construction columns which will later be removed.
    Thanks, I began wondering if that was the case.

5. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Too bad nothing will be done about the I-40/I-44 interchange. I don't even think it is on the ODOT 8-year plan..... will it last that long? Seems to at least need some serious surface work done.

They "shaved" it a few years ago...it just didn't last. Then they put that slurry crap down...that didn't last either. But as bumpy as it is, at least it flows.

It doesn't flow between 4PM and 7PM, or whenever there is rain.

It doesn't flow between 4PM and 7PM, or whenever there is rain.
    The start problems on i40/i44 interchange between 4 & 7 seem to be more due to i44 southbound than the exchange itself.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    Cool.

I don't see why there should be any major delays at this point. Most of the bridges are finished now. The last surfacing contract for the main stretch of road will be awarded next month.

17428(23)* 4 IS040 1.280 I-40 CROSSTOWN: WP 1.3, SURFACING FROM THE OKLAHOMA CITY CANAL WEST
    OKCY -XTWN (004) 1.3 MI (OK134)(DEL FR 03-11, ADD TO 05-11; GRADING PROJ NOT FINISHED)
    SURFACE 0 20,634,511 0 0 20,634,511
    OKLAHOMA
    PROPOSED BID OPENING DATE:05/2011

11. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

any recent pics?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    any recent pics?
    There isn't anything new on their website. The newest video was from March.

http://40forward.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    any recent pics?
    Ask and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find. Pictures were taken Monday the 16th.

View from Western Ave. looking west

View from future westbound on-ramp looking east at Western Ave. Bridge

MSE Retaining Wall with paint (I think this might be a test strip and the different textures of the walls will be different colors)

View from Western Ave. looking downtown with future intersection in foreground

View from Western Ave. looking downtown

I don't know where the sidewalk ends but this is where the pavement ends

View from Western Ave. looking east at Walker Ave. bridge construction

Sorry there aren't more but that's all I've got for now.

Nice! Thanks!

15. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

They should have gone more creative with the bridges. Instead of plain concrete color, make them creame/beige/tan with some sort of designs within the concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    They should have gone more creative with the bridges. Instead of plain concrete color, make them creame/beige/tan with some sort of designs within the concrete.
    I think when all is said and done you will get pretty much exactly what you want.

Thunder- You should REALLY check out the third picture jonno posted. You'll like it.

Since several started being tagged with graffiti a few months ago chance they may need it to look presentable by the time they are done.

19. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

I really do not know why these gangs feel the need to vandalize the bridges and walls. Really happy that no one attempted to vandalize the buffalo murals along the walls on I-235. I just hope the state keep the exact paint colors on record in case they need to paint over vandalism.

I see the paint in the 3rd picture and thought it was only to be on those walls. Hoping they will do it on the bridges, too.

They will paint the bridges too... I think they have already painted one, I'm thinking the Penn. Bridge but I can't remember exactly.

21. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Yeah, I saw the road on the Penn Bridge when I attempted to cross as instructed by the GPS. I did not see the side of the bridge, though, or at least did not pay attention to such detail.

I do want to note how WHITE the road are. They should be using asphalt (black) instead. It looks pretty and perfect now, but wait until vehicles start driving all over making it look awful with oil drips, tire marks, and whatever. Not just the bridges, but the entire new I-40.

Cement is much more durable and better than asphalt. I would much rather have a road that last longer than one that looks cool but 6 months later (first winter freeze) there's huge pot holes all over the place... That's how all these patch jobs start. Then it for sure won't look cool at all!!

I do want to note how WHITE the road are. They should be using asphalt (black) instead. It looks pretty and perfect now, but wait until vehicles start driving all over making it look awful with oil drips, tire marks, and whatever. Not just the bridges, but the entire new I-40.
    It eventually turns into that classic grayish color you expect roads to be and stays like that for the next 20 years before having to rehabilitate it. Asphalt only looks nice for the first 3-4 years then you have all the pot hole patches and tar lines where they fill in cracks to prevent future potholes. I actually prefer the concrete look maybe its a mental thing because I know concrete is better.

And with the price of oil, asphalt would probably add another $500M to the cost. Apparently that is the reason behind only getting 32 of the promised 57 miles of Trails in MAPS 3

25. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Is it possible for concrete to be mixed with another color?

Thread Information