Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Uptown / 23rd District

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Was it this one?

Yes, and they have more or less removed the rest of the rubble as of today.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Ugly? It was a mid century art deco gem.
    No, it was crap......nobody in it for at least the last 12 years. All of the glass was boarded up and was complete with graffitti on the 24th st side.

At one time, there was a lot of great mid-century buildings around the capitol but it seems very few have survived.

There was a building boom in this area in the 50's and 60's and then the whole area went pretty downhill not long afterwards and most the buildings were completely abandoned. Many were scraped as part of the Lincoln Renaissance plan because they were boarded up and in horrible condition.

Lincoln Plaza has managed to survive, but just barely. And what is now Arvest Bank (formerly State Capitol Bank) is another great example:

We had noticed that for the last few weeks, workers in all kinds of 'asbestos' looking protection garb have been all around the building. This is just a guess on my part about what type of cleanup they were doing. The west side on the interchange already looks tons better.

Buildings from that era all had asbestos and even for complete demolition it has to be carefully removed by certified professionals.

Too bad it couldn't be saved but when a building is allowed to sit and rot for that long -- a topic we have discussed at length elsewhere -- demolition becomes inevitable.

Buildings from that era all had asbestos and even for complete demolition it has to be carefully removed by certified professionals.

Too bad it couldn't be saved but when a building is allowed to sit and rot for that long -- a topic we have discussed at length elsewhere -- demolition becomes inevitable.
    Spot on. Had it been maintained, it would be a gem today. Alas, it was not and appeared beyond repair. I drive by it daily now that I live (own) in Lincoln Terrace.

7. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Actually Pete, that bank has been dreadfully altered. The original bank was REALLY a mid-century gem (sorry I don't have a higher-res photo):

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	building_statecapbank.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	2578  

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Another one bites the dust. I really liked that old building. Just like so many other building that are torn down, they just needed the right owners.

What can Okc expect to be built in it's place?
    I agree and that side angle photo does it no justice, a front shot makes it easier to see its art deco potential. Looks like many of the new modern houses in SOSA.

Who owns the massive vacant lot between Walker and Hudson on the south-side of the street?

Any indication at all that anything will be going on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Who owns the massive vacant lot between Walker and Hudson on the south-side of the street?

Any indication at all that anything will be going on there?
    The Tower Theater people.

I assume they'll use it for parking once they get their project rolling.

The Tower Theater people.

I assume they'll use it for parking once they get their project rolling.
    You have a great sense of comic timing!

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    You have a great sense of comic timing!
    It's not comic. The PUD was specifically written to allow a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    It's not comic. The PUD was specifically written to allow a parking lot.
    Sorry, I was being a bit snarky. I was referencing the "getting their project rolling" part. It seems like Waiting for Godot.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Sorry, I was being a bit snarky. I was referencing the "getting their project rolling" part. It seems like Waiting for Godot.
    Ahh, in that case, your snarkiness is spot on, Vladimir.

nm

Not sure if anyone has posted this or noticed. But Gold's Gym Express planned for 23rd street. It's listed on their website as coming soon. 2117 NW 23rd.

That's by Penn.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    That's by Penn.
    Maybe in Shephard Mall?

I think that Gold's is going into the center on the NW corner of Penn & 23rd that has Westlake Hardware.

BTW, I heard that Elliott Nelson (of McNellies fame) may put his Fassler Hall beer garden concept in The Rise.

I've been lobbying Tuck to do a gourmet sausage / beer garden concept in OKC for a while now. A few here in L.A. are fantastically popular and fun.

BTW, I heard that Elliott Nelson (of McNellies fame) may put his Fassler Hall beer garden concept in The Rise.

I've been lobbying Tuck to do a gourmet sausage / beer garden concept in OKC for a while now. A few here in L.A. are fantastically popular and fun.
    A McNellies employee told me that Fassler Hall was going into midtown "behind Brown's Bakery". Ultimately I would be happy with either, but my hopes are for midtown over uptown, mostly I can't envision Fassler Hall in a pristine new development like this.

Yes Golds is going in right next to City Trends, that's at least where they have their pre enrollment sign at.

23. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

The former Le Club Bora Bora building is pretty cool, has some character inside. Something like Fassler Hall would work well there. I'm assuming it's part of "The Rise" redevelopment.

I really hope the Fassler concept goes into either space. It will be succesful. Elliot Nelson hits a homerun with everything he does.

Agree, I'd love to see Fassler Hall in OKC.

Nelson might not want to cannibalize the McNellie's business in Midtown and 23rd really needs a destination hang-out.

But either location will not doubt be a huge success.

Thread Information