Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Lip Smackers

Default Re: Lip Smackers

Nooooooo!!! I can walk there now!

I'll never get up to Hefner and May.

Hope it works out for them but selfishly, this is horrible news.

Hefner and May. Is that where that pizza place was that was owned by Jimmy's egg?

Also the shopping center with what used to be a laser quest and a peruvian place that may or may not have been called Inca trails?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Hefner and May. Is that where that pizza place was that was owned by Jimmy's egg?

Also the shopping center with what used to be a laser quest and a peruvian place that may or may not have been called Inca trails?
    This is where I'd *assume* he's moving, as there really isn't anywhere else in that area that would be applicable. However, this is just what he quickly mentioned yesterday, almost in passing, so take it with a grain of salt. Maybe someone else eating there in the next week or so can get more detailed information.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post

Those are two different locations. The former pizza place owned by Jimmy's Egg has been converted into a Jimmy's Egg and is doing good business. It is a free standing building on the west side of May Avenue. I believe Lip Smacker's is going into Quail Plaza. And you are correct that is where Laser Quest and the Peruvian place used to be. Also some kind of family style, pizza buffet place was there for many years IIRC. I think it will be in the large building running on the east and north edges of the property, and not in the front building that has the Mexican place and Thrifty Pharmacy, etc.

i'm excited about this... after changing jobs, i wasn't able to make it in my lunch hour anymore... but this might be just close enough to make it regularly...

The "young man" is Jabbar's son, he waited on us a couple of Saturdays ago, also mentioned the relocation, but they were going out to look at locations that afternoon and hadn't settled on one. We told him about the old Fusion Charcoal Grill location by us on 36th/May, and he seemed interested. Hefner and May would suck for us too, we have very little need to go north of 63rd and will probably just make an trip to S&B's on 59th instead for our burger fix.

^^^^^^^ Really? It’s probably 5.5 to no more than 6 miles from existing location.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    ^^^^^^^ Really? It’s probably 5.5 to no more than 6 miles from existing location.
    We live at 36th/May, moved to the middle of the city so we'd have tons of options within a short drive. We hate going up north (used to live at 164th/May, hated it) any further than we have to. We have tons of other burger places around us without having to go up to Hefner - they're good, but just not worth the hassle. And yes, I realize some folks drive dozens of miles in one day, if not hundreds, but we don't like to and don't have to.

Man, just when I'm moving out of The Village...

LOL... I'm happy as a clam at this news. And I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one. The Garage is 'ok' and Johnnie's is an institution and Hopscotch mostly sucks... getting an outstanding burger like Lip Smackers up here on the Village side is excellent luck! I hope it doesn't fall through.

Stopped for lunch today. First time trying it. Had the fried jalapeno burger and fried okra. Jabbar was very nice and was taking out slices of cheesecake to tables. Burger was good. Wasn't anything that I would make a special drive for but if I lived close to it....I would patronize it whenever I had the hankering for a burger. Okra was run of the mill.

I asked Jabbar about moving and he said the location fell through. They are looking but as of today...they don't have a location. Said that rich people don't negotiate and when he tried to do it...they increased the price.

That's good news for me!

Hope they stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That's good news for me!

Hope they stay put.
    I will add that they looked fairly busy when we were there about 1 pm. About 1/2 of the tables were taken. Food came out quick also (still freshly prepared)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Okra was run of the mill.
    i finally had the run of the mill Okra the other day there. i'm really starting to think that he is getting fresh Okra when the price is good, but just getting frozen when it isn't... this time it clearly wasn't the same Okra i had the past few times. was defiantly disappointing, as the fresh Okra was so amazing.

Yesterday Jabbar told me that Lip Smackers will soon be featured on the Food Network show "Burgers, Brew & Que." That is pretty incredible.

^

Wow, awesome.

Hope it brings him tons of business.

That is super exciting! He deserves it.

That's a great show, major compliment if Michael Symon is giving it the rubber stamp. It's about time OKC got back on Food Network's map. They have some catching up to do.

People love this place so much. It took forever for the food to come out even though it was not busy that night. Burgers were ok. Not bad but didn't stand above the crowd of good burgers in this town. Jabbar wasn't there though. Nothing about the experience had me angry or anything, but likewise nothing about the experience had me wanting to go back. But then you all can't stop raving and I'm like: Can all the people be wrong, or is it me?

It's you.

Although, when something so simple gets so incredibly built up, disappointment is inevitable.

Try a burger at Whiskey Biscuit in Deep Deuce (my fave is the inferno) and let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    That's a great show, major compliment if Michael Symon is giving it the rubber stamp. It's about time OKC got back on Food Network's map. They have some catching up to do.
    OKC has already been on two Food Network shows in the past few months - Bite Club and Family Food Showdown.

22. Default Re: Lip Smackers

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    People love this place so much. It took forever for the food to come out even though it was not busy that night. Burgers were ok. Not bad but didn't stand above the crowd of good burgers in this town. Jabbar wasn't there though. Nothing about the experience had me angry or anything, but likewise nothing about the experience had me wanting to go back. But then you all can't stop raving and I'm like: Can all the people be wrong, or is it me?
    I'd say it's a combination of "You" AND possibly an off night for Lipsmackers. Neither is a dig, it's just how it is. I know people that go to Buffalo Wild Wings weekly and and the parking lot is packed. I've been a handful of times and thought it was Ehh to horrible every time. Same goes for some other popular restaurants. Obviously it's just not my thing. I started going there before Lip Smackers was the place to go and have always felt it was spot on and I can really be hard on places I don't like. That said, I go to Way Back Burgers in Edmond quite regularly and I have no idea how they stay in business - as it's always empty inside and I know plenty of people who don't care for it.

Last time we went, his son was there, not him, and we were slightly disappointed. Burger patties didn't seem quite as tasty/juicy, my brie/apple toppings weren't as big as they're shown in pics (have had other burgers there, but not that one, so can't directly compare, but the apple slices were pretty thin, and there just wasn't as much brie as in pics), but my wife had them put the french onion dip on a shroom burger and was pretty happy except for the burger patty itself. Sides were just OK, didn't even mess with the okra because you don't know if you're going to get frozen or fresh. Possibly implementing portion control, since that happens quite often after a place starts up and then realizes they can't put as much stuff on the plate as they originally did and keep making a profit.

Not just you. That place is nothing special.

I feel the same - I've been there twice and it was perfectly decent both times but I have definitely had better burgers. I've tried the Jalapeno and Brunch burgers; aside from interesting toppings, there is nothing notable about the experience to me. The fries are pretty good but to be honest, for a plain cheeseburger without novel toppings, I prefer Five Guys. Like I said, Lip Smackers product is perfectly fine but I would put it on par with a burger from Outback or Chili's.

Thread Information