Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oklahoma City Blazers possibly to return in 2016

Default Re: Oklahoma City Blazers possibly to return in 2016

I noticed last week that the OCFD participated in the opening ceremony for a Blazers hockey game, and it kind of threw me off. I looked it up, and apparently there's still a club calling itself the Oklahoma City Blazers in the junior hockey Western States Hockey League. Apparently they're pretty good, too.

Oklahoma City Blazers Hockey - Western States Hockey League

2. Default Re: Oklahoma City Blazers possibly to return in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by TexanOkie View Post
    I noticed last week that the OCFD participated in the opening ceremony for a Blazers hockey game, and it kind of threw me off. I looked it up, and apparently there's still a club calling itself the Oklahoma City Blazers in the junior hockey Western States Hockey League. Apparently they're pretty good, too.

Yep... They have a few hundred die hard fans (All that can fit in the arena)... I've never attended one of their games but I've seen their fans streaming in to the Blazer Ice Arena as I was leaving OU Hockey games.

Believe it or not UCO also has a very good college hockey team with a very dedicated following.... When they played OU at the Blazer Ice Arena it was standing room only and I think they regularly sell out the arena they play at on the north side..

Blog Entries

Hate to be the bearer of bad news; however AA quality or better ice hockey may never return to the OKC area.

June 2, 2015 article
    :

“I’m fearful that if a franchise isn’t activated in Oklahoma City in the next eighteen months this market could go dark for decades if not forever,” says Lund passionately.
    If Oklahoma City were going to enter the ECHL for 2016 (October opening) they missed the application deadline which was January 2016.

The timeline is not fully realized right now, but the announcement will come late summer early fall, but with a deadline of January 2016 or else, as Lund explains, “You can kiss the 2016 season start goodbye because you don’t want to rush a business like this.”
    OKC Blazers "Interested" In Return, Joining ECHL in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by TexanOkie View Post

Yep. It's ran/coached by former Blazers players.

Hockey: Minor league hockey will not return to OKC for 2016-17 season | News OK

Hockey: Minor league hockey will not return to OKC for 2016-17 season

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    Hockey: Minor league hockey will not return to OKC for 2016-17 season | News OK

Hockey: Minor league hockey will not return to OKC for 2016-17 season
    I don't know why they couldn't play at Norick Arena.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I don't know why they couldn't play at Norick Arena.
    No ice plant.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhey View Post
    No ice plant.
    Really? Since they do ice shows there I just assumed...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Really? Since they do ice shows there I just assumed...
    The ice equipment at the State Fair Arena is portable and brought in by shows like the Ice Capades.

Agree that the State Fair Arena could temporarily host ice hockey--city would have to install a new ice plant.

Oklahoma City should invest in expansion & improvements of State Fair Arena (opened in 1963) or a new arena at the Fairgrounds, something in the 12,000 -15,000-seat range equipped specifically for rodeos, basketball & ice hockey. A larger arena could potentially bring back the 5A-6A basketball playoffs to the OKC area that now play in Tulsa's Mabee Center on the campus of Oral Roberts University.

You're probably talking about an investment in the $100 million plus range--something that could be considered for MAPS IV.

A new arena at the Fairgrounds could lock down the the IFR, Cowboys of Color Rodeo & many horse related shows for future years ahead.

this was on the Secretary of State website

OKLAHOMA CITY BLAZERS PRO HOCKEY, L.L.C.

Details
    Filing Number:

Name Type: Status:

Corp type: Jurisdiction:
    Formation Date:

Legal Name

Active

Domestic Limited Liability Company

Oklahoma

6 Jul 2015

Registered Agent Information
    Name:

Effective: Address:
    City, State , ZipCode:

SEAN JONES

6 Jul 2015
    1801 N BROADWAY AVE OKLAHOMA CITY OK 73103

I never was a huge ice hockey fan (although Slapstick was a great movie) but I did enjoy an occasional Blazers game. That puck moves a a little too fast for me to keep up with it. Man, those guys can skate (refs included)!

Blog Entries

You want to bring back the Blazers. Make it attractive for a franchise to call OKC home.

Why not build a new arena at the fairgrounds that could accommodate rodeos, stock shows, horse shows and ice hockey on the AA level.

State Fair Arena opened in 1965; constructed at a cost of $2 million. It has had several renovations during that period; we could build a new arena next to it or demolish it; this would allow us a number of options.

It would take around $100 million to construct a new quality arena to accommodate 12,500 - 15,000 seats. This would insure that Oklahoma City has the facilities to continue to maintain that 'horse show capital of the world' moniker.

Our fairgrounds is basically a convention center complex for the horse related industry activities and various other trade show activities.

A new arena could be equipped with an ice plant--serve as a home for an ice hockey team, Oklahoma City Blue NBAL development team and host ALL of the state high school basketball playoffs which we now share with Tulsa who hosts 6A & I believe 5A schools.

Maybe we could consider a velodrome type arena which could serve those multipurpose activities mentioned.

Pretty sure this died when Yukon's first soccer team came to town.

Please no!!!+

Blog Entries

Tulsa Oilers vs. Oklahoma City Blazers

A tale of two blood-thirsty arch rival cities that don't need any introductions...

Tulsa Civic Assembly Center, April 1, 1994.

^^miss those days^^ Funny, I am wearing my 2000-2001 Blazer Championship T-shirt at the moment.

Thread Information