Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old bridge on southeast side of Lake Overholser?

Northwest OKC Old bridge on southeast side of Lake Overholser?

There are the remains of an old bridge on the southeast side of Lake Overholser- really nothing more than a cement truss or two. I can't help but wonder about it when I'm riding my chopper around the lake and look over to see it below the damn. Anyone know the story behind the bridge? Was it a road, and did it have anything to do with old Route 66? Maybe a railroad crossing?

Default Re: Old bridge on southeast side of Lake Overholser?

I think it is from rail tracks when they built the dam.

Okay, you've got my curiosity up. Stuff like this is what got me started on OKC Talk. Southeast side of the dam, huh? I've looked on Bing maps and Google maps. Are we talking the east bank of the river? About how far downstream? When I was a kid we used to swing on a rope under the old two-lane 10th street bridge. Lots of fun.

Thanks, I saw that but dismissed it as just another couple pieces of debris. True, the two pieces are on opposite sides of the stream but I wonder if that was the path of the stream when the dam went in (1916?). There have been floods since then. I'm not trying to discount your assumption just exploring the possibilities. The old Rock Island tracks are just about a mile south of there and they did pre-date the dam by a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by rtz View Post
    I am not sure if this is it but there was a pedestrian bridge washed out in the area a few years ago.

I realize that this is only marginally "on topic" but I have always been fascinated by the Lake Overholser Dam. Even though I saw Glen Canyon Dam many, many years prior to ever seeing the one forming Lake Overholser. I actually got to see Hoover (Boulder) Dam Once and it was really impressive. Still, one of my favorites remains the Pensacola Dam that created The Grand Lake o' The Cherokees.

Pensacola Dam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We are planning a little roadtrip, in a couple of weeks, to the Southwestern part of the state. Some of the sightseeing I'm planning to do is look at the dams for Lake Lawtonka, Lake Ellsworth, Led Jed Johnson, etc. I damn sure hope there's enough rain next week that the dams seem to have a function. Just not any rain on the projected day of the roadtrip.

RM,

If it does not rain be sure to check out Lake Lugert. Time was when the lake was low one could see the foundations of the Lugert townsite. Now, back on topic, the pedestrian bridge sounds plausible. Sufficient segue?

That aerial view (linked in post #4) certainly appears to show a paved trail, too narrow for vehicular traffic, coming to each end of the missing bridge...

Having looked at all aspects of this historical anomaly . . . I can't help but wonder if the relics in question didn't pre-date the dam and the lake. Perhaps it, that is, the possibly imaginary bridge(?), was a testimony to the value of pedestrian (and perhaps even goofy bicycle?) traffic when It encountered a pesky creek . . . Is being etched in stone the same thing as providing concrete supports?

(sorry . . . far too much Rick Steves/OETA/CreateTV and House of Cards in my viewing diet. time for a brisk walk. but not on the southside of Lake Overholser. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    RM,

If it does not rain be sure to check out Lake Lugert. Time was when the lake was low one could see the foundations of the Lugert townsite. Now, back on topic, the pedestrian bridge sounds plausible. Sufficient segue?
    My plan is to check all of them out. I will, however, eschew the disappointment of the detour to "Meers Store" for hamburgers. Or maybe I won't. =)

"Sufficient segue?" Exceeds Excellence. (imho) =)

Sorry, Tritone, I thought I had set the notifications up on this thread, but I guess I didn't. Just now discovered all of these posts. RTR has it with their link provided. Its on the lower left portion of the photo.

Still a puzzlement to me, but these posts have caused me to think a bit. I'd never thought about how the materials for the Overholser dam were carried in. Was it by rail? Sounds likely. Is it from a trail that predates the dam? Could be.

Sounds like you got out (your other threads) and enjoyed the roads a bit over the weekend. Mrs. Tritone and I will grab the Oklahoma road atlas, hop in the HHR, and make a few day trips in the coming months. There's always something to see if you just take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    ... Was it a road, and did it have anything to do with old Route 66?
    Maybe a railroad crossing?
    That bridge is a part of US 66. I haven't read the other posts but they should
    agree. I remember crossing the bridge in the 50's on our way to California and
    later seeing the Yukon Mills sign.

North of the bridge was a turnaround for the Inter-Urban.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by rtz View Post
    I think it is from rail tracks when they built the dam.
    There is no evidence of train tracks. None whatsoever.

Jim Kyle is close to 3 million years old. He should remember this.

I trust Jim Kyle, unless he's been drinking.... which he doesn't...
    so there.

I hope this is some help to the members appreciating this thread.

Most of us call Lake Overholser "Lake Hold-Her-Closer". I believe this was
    instigated in 1919 when the lake was formed.

At any rate, here are some facts about Lake Hold-Her-Closer, I mean Lake
    Overholser.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Overholser

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    That bridge is a part of US 66. I haven't read the other posts but they should
    agree. I remember crossing the bridge in the 50's on our way to California and
    later seeing the Yukon Mills sign.

North of the bridge was a turnaround for the Inter-Urban.

You're welcome.
    US 66 was never on the southeast side of the lake, where he was asking about, the parts re-designated from the original 66 are now what is now called either 36th or N Overholser Drive. The newer 66 is still labeled that but as a state designation.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    US 66 was never on the southeast side of the lake, where he was asking about, the
    parts re-designated from the original 66 are now what is now called either 36th or N
    Overholser Drive. The newer 66 is still labeled that but as a state designation.
    I respectfully disagree. The old bridge on NW 39th Expressway, SE Lake Overholser
    is Route 66. The road then went through Yukon via the Yukon Mills plant.

I was there. I remember the road very well.

36th street goes directly into the lake. I ride it almost daily. Lake Overholser Drive
    goes from NW 10th to, now state hiway, 66 which was Route 66.

I respectfully disagree. The old bridge on NW 39th Expressway, SE Lake Overholser

36th street goes directly into the lake. I ride it almost daily. Lake Overholser Drive
    pp, everything you're saying is correct except the part about SE Lake Overholser. The bridge you are talking about, which is directly south of the current bridge, is not on the SE side of the lake. Look at the link in post number 4. That is what everyone here is discussing.

Jim Kyle is close to 3 million years old. He should remember this.

I trust Jim Kyle, unless he's been drinking.... which he doesn't...
    so there.
    Well, not quite 3 million -- though it sometimes seems even longer.

Route 66 never went SOUTH of Overholser; the old 66 bridge is at the north end of the lake, just sough of the current expressway, and still exists although a bit the worse for wear.

Most of us call Lake Overholser "Lake Hold-Her-Closer".
    And in the late 40s, the best place to watch the night submarine races was along the western shoreline...

24. Default Re: Old bridge on southeast side of Lake Overholser?

The late 80s weren't bad, either.

From Google Earth:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OverholserBridge.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	10959

This bridge?

I believe this bridge was for a hiking trail. Google's imagery shows the bridge as far back as their imagery goes (1990); it looks like the bridge was destroyed sometime between 03/2007 and 05/2008.

Thread Information