Widgets Magazine
Page 61 of 83 FirstFirst ... 115657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2051

Thread: Skydance Bridge

Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    I just got back with a group of friends from college. My friends included people from California, Texas, North Carolina, and Oklahoma, and everyone of them thought it was an awesome addition to the city. They couldn't stop complimenting how cool it was. Made me proud. Love my city.
    That's good to hear... And I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoy18 View Post
    It looks great but I wish they could have made to where it had to be connected by suspension cables, it sort of looks incomplete but its still a great addition to the City.
    the revised design IMHO is much better than when it had the cables

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    I'm in the khakis with the tripod. I took over 600+ photos of the ribbon cutting and tonight. Plus video. The Mayor showed up, all casual. Talked to him briefly.
    I thought so when I saw this.

Looking forward to seeing your work, Will!

I agree with SoonerBoy18..the original looked like what it was, a piece of art (when it had the cladding and cables that literally tied it into the bridge). Now it can easily be mistaken for a couple of collapsed construction cranes or a tornado ravaged oil derrick (as some others have pointed out). By lighting it at night, at least they have mitigates that somewhat. Don't get me wrong, it looks pretty dang good lit up, just could have looked a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the revised design IMHO is much better than when it had the cables
    There are bridges all over everywhere with suspension cables - I like the fact that this design is unique and very bold.

I believe one of the designers is from Germany, perhaps those bridges were inspirations indeed.

Before it went up I was devastated by the new design without the cables. When it first was erected I was definitly less dissapointed with how it turned out and It actually grew on me for a few weeks. Now every time I see it all I can think about is what it could have been and what a lifeless piece of skeleton we are left with now. Granted I have never driven passed it at night time lit up, so I'm assuming it is much better then but during the day it just looks akward and out of place with the new I40 and Doesnt have any functional or aesthetic form. In other words, I still consider it a disaster.

Looked good driving under it last night, was short on time or would have stopped to walk along the bridge.

Can't wait until there is park on both sides of it!

Blog Entries

I drove under it about 9pm and it wasn't lit. I thought it was supposed to be lit every night now?

I went out of my way just to drive under it tonight around 8:30ish and it wasn't lit. Very disappointing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I drove under it about 9pm and it wasn't lit. I thought it was supposed to be lit every night now?
    It was on at 930

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    It was on at 930
    Ah. I thought "automatic" meant "darkness detection" not timer... but good to know, thanks.

13. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

I wasn't aware of the ribbon cutting last night and was driving home from class. I was going wb on I-40 and typically go north on 235 but could see it shining in the distance. I decided to take the long way home and drove under it at about 10pm. Traffic moving 70mph had slowed to about 55 to look at it. Nice to see it finally lit up!

I drove by at 7:15 this morning, in the daylight, and the blue lights were on. All though difficult to see due to the time of day.....

IMO the wooden sides on the bridge completely ruin the design. They look awful, like an afterthought or like the bridge is still under construction. It would look much cleaner if they'd used a cable netting to create a railing, similar to what they've used around the Devon Boathouse. It's very safe an nearly invisible from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer3791 View Post
    IMO the wooden sides on the bridge completely ruin the design. They look awful, like an afterthought or like the bridge is still under construction. It would look much cleaner if they'd used a cable netting to create a railing, similar to what they've used around the Devon Boathouse. It's very safe an nearly invisible from a distance.
    Although I agree it blends with the sculpture better I don't think it serves a better purpose. with the sides more open it allows for things to drop onto traffic below a little easier than the current design. I don't think the wood ruins the design at all I like the mix of the two.

17. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Here are a few photos I shot of the Skydance Bridge at night on the grand opening day.

Skydance Bridge Grand Opening by AlonzoAdamsOKC, on Flickr

(not my photo)

Gateway by RobOKC, on Flickr

It's a beauty to drive under at night. Great decision to light it up!

20. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

I haven't driven by it at night yet and if I did would be a dangerous driver due to gawking ... but I did drive both east and west on Saturday and think that this bridge is something to take pride in. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    I haven't driven by it at night yet and if I did would be a dangerous driver due to gawking ... but I did drive both east and west on Saturday and think that this bridge is something to take pride in. Good job.
    Doug,
    I thought it would be a big distraction at night also, but it really isn't. It's looking up so it's not like you look to one side or the other and end up that direction..it's worth the look.

22. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

April 24 2012

Skydance Bridge ribbon cutting

http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamhider/

Finally got these done. I took over 600 and edited each one. They turned out to be some of the best I've done yet. I'll put them into a Set later tonight.

April 24 2012

Finally got these done. I took over 600 and edited each one. They turned out to be some of the best I've done yet. I'll put them into a Set later tonight.
    thank you Will great work ..

April 24 2012

I like image #8838. A picture of me taking a picture ;-) Thanks for uploading these Will!

April 24 2012

Off topic but I love the pics of the OKC Memorial. Such a timeless design!

Thread Information