Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Wage Increase

1. Default Minimum Wage Increase

Federal minimum wage increase will take effect on July 24th. Oklahoma will see the raise. I, for one, is very excited to be getting a raise. Who else is?

Millions of U.S. workers to see pay raise with minimum wage hike to $7.25 - BloggingStocks

Default Re: Minimum Wage Increase

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Federal minimum wage increase will take effect on July 24th. Oklahoma will see the raise. I, for one, is very excited to be getting a raise. Who else is?

Millions of U.S. workers to see pay raise with minimum wage hike to $7.25 - BloggingStocks
    I'm certainly not.

Employers will either have to eat profit (yeah, right), fire people to meet the new wage, and/or more likely pass the costs of their goods and services to us, making everything cost that much more.

3. Default Re: Minimum Wage Increase

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I'm certainly not.

Employers will either have to eat profit (yeah, right), fire people to meet the new wage, and/or more likely pass the costs of their goods and services to us, making everything cost that much more.
    So, you would rather have people working so hard to earn barely enough to pay rent and bills with no good times?

So, you would rather have people working so hard to earn barely enough to pay rent and bills with no good times?
    I would rather retailers, businesses and service providers compete for employees by setting their own pay scales.

I mean, if a minimum wage is supposed to include the necessity of paying rent, all bills and have a good time, then why not make it $20 an hour or $30? Why stop at $7?

No one should be entitled to any wage.

6. Default Re: Minimum Wage Increase

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    No one should be entitled to any wage.
    So, are you saying that people shouldn't be entitle to the money they work so hard to earn? Are you saying that people should be working hard for free? All just to bring shocking low prices to you?

So, are you saying that people shouldn't be entitle to the money they work so hard to earn? Are you saying that people should be working hard for free? All just to bring shocking low prices to you?
    Low wages would lead to cheaper products that even those low wage earners could afford.

8. Default Re: Minimum Wage Increase

Low wages would lead to cheaper products that even those low wage earners could afford.
    Low wages will not be able to keep up with skyrocketing costs, such as gas, heating, cooling, electricity, and more.

Why not $20/hr?

Low wages will not be able to keep up with skyrocketing costs, such as gas, heating, cooling, electricity, and more.
    Higher minimum wages are part of the reason for skyrocketing costs.

You could make minimum wage $100 an hour and the people working would still be living the same quality of life they are today at $7 an hour. The employees only see temporary relief when a wage increase occurs. In 6 months to year the employee is back at same quality of life.

Every time the wage goes up so does the cost of living. Businesses do not eat the cost of wage increases. They recover the lost income through price increases, reduction of staff and reduction of services.

If they really want to improve the wage situation in this country they need sell people on the idea of seeking additional job training and obtaining a formal education. Few minimum wage workers realize they could be in a good paying job in as little as two weeks to two years.

Thunder I am suprised you don't get in touch with the Department of Rehabiltation Services. Your hearing impairment qualifies you for head of the line privelages at many state and federal jobs. Not to mention there are several non profit enterprises out there that would help you land a great paying job.

I'm not saying Thunder does this, but I do know of some Deaf people who opt not to work (or not work too much) so their Social Security payment is not disturbed.

I'm not saying Thunder does this, but I do know of some Deaf people who opt not to work (or not work too much) so their Social Security payment is not disturbed.
    Knowing Thunder as we do, I would be totally shocked if that were the case. He show diligence and integrity in a LOT of ways.

Thunder, I know it probably feels like us old conservatives are being cruel to you and others on MW, but truly that is not the case. Back when I was an active contractor and I need help and someone came to me for work I would forst ask about how much experience they had and how much wage they needed. Often a guy would tell me that he had very little experience and that he really needed (say) 8 bucks and hour, I would tell them that they would be worth more than that if they were good learners and showed up ready for work. I would start them out at $10 and then look forward to the time that I could give them a surprise raise. I was a damn good teacher and an appreciative employer. I lost most of my help because they became good enough to compete with me. I always encourage it and often gave them some of my old tools to use until they could afford better ones. Most of them are still friends today.

Granted not all employers are that anxious for their employees to be THAT successful, but they all need good workers and will pay more when necessary to get and/or keep them. In a REALLY free market employees would compete just like businesses have to. When we create minimum wages we are saying that anyone whose labor isn't worth X dollars don't deserve to work at all. They knock the bottom rungs off the ladder to success. Even though I was quite generous with my employees I don't believe the gov't should have the right to tell me how much to pay.

My guess is that you are probably on of the best employees as your level at Crest and that you deserve a raise. You would more likely get that raise if the boss was free to pay the shirkers less in order to reward you that raise. MW laws set an arbitrarily low wage that employers can "blame" for your low pay.

In union jobs the go-getters are usually frowned on and accused of trying to make the others look bad in order to "browny" up the boss to get a promotion, knowing there ain't gonna be a raise without being promoted. It tends to make everyone ADEQUATE workers but no more. As you find a ladder to climb avoid "union shops" as you will never be appreciated.

Knowing your interest and knowledge of weather, I am surprised you haven't tried to get some of that help mentioned above in order to try to get into that field. I can't help believe that you you would love it. It is doable, man, one way or another.

In short, I want you to make a LOT more money but by getting what you are worth and not with an increase in MW. It needs to go away completely.

Why stop there. Why have laws that require health care for employees working full time. Why define full time as only 40 hours per week. Why have laws requiring payment for overtime for non-professionals. Why have child labor laws. Why require someone to pass a bar to become a lawyer, or become licensed to do professional work, let's just let the market decide. Why have OSHA standards? Why have age, sex, pregnancy, and ethnicity non-discrimination requirements on the books for companies employing over 15 people. Let the market decide.

While we are at it, why should the government be interfering with the sales of products in a free market. Why have health codes that restaurants must meet. Just let someone die of food poisoning or transmission of an infectious disease. Then the market will decide what businesses stay open and which ones close. Why regulate aircraft manufacturers. When planes start falling out of the air the market will decide which corporation makes the best planes.

When all of the above turns to total crap, I can't wait to see the lawsuits start flying. Since the legal profession won't be regulated either, I'll just set up my own shop and make a fortune. Until the market decides I need to close up shop.

What court are you going to file it in?

Why file it in court. Why don't you set up an arbitration corporation. Let the market decide the outcome.

I must be thinking too small. Why stop at providing legal services when you can be the entire court system. I'll start up an arbitration firm as well. Since all the Sherman laws go out the window, I'll call you up and tell you what my pricing structure is and we can price fix everything.

You don't merit a response. But keep on going... I'm sure you are being entertained by it.

18. Default Re: Minimum Wage Increase

I did not intend to make this topic all about me. I want general discussion on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Why stop there. Why have laws that require health care for employees working full time.
    INDEED!

Why define full time as only 40 hours per week.
    Yeah!

Why have laws requiring payment for overtime for non-professionals.
    Sounds good!

Why have child labor laws.
    Agreed!

Why have OSHA standards?
    No kidding.

Why have age, sex, pregnancy, and ethnicity non-discrimination requirements on the books for companies employing over 15 people.
    Agreed! The government shouldn't have a monopoly on discrimination either. If people want to be bigots, the first amendments protect them.

While we are at it, why should the government be interfering with the sales of products in a free market.
    Yes! Prices would go down and products would get even better.

Then the market will decide what businesses stay open and which ones close.
    Duh, that's the way it should be!

Now you're sounding like a freedom and liberty lover!

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Why file it in court. Why don't you set up an arbitration corporation. Let the market decide the outcome.

I must be thinking too small. Why stop at providing legal services when you can be the entire court system. I'll start up an arbitration firm as well. Since all the Sherman laws go out the window, I'll call you up and tell you what my pricing structure is and we can price fix everything.
    Arbitration would likely lead to fairer outcomes.

Just look at ECO's thread where a government sponsored court wanted nothing to do with her "big city" self.

Arbitration would likely lead to fairer outcomes.

Just look at ECO's thread where a government sponsored court wanted nothing to do with her "big city" self.
    That's laughable. My experience with arbitration is that it's basically a kangaroo court. Imagine -- the company you're arbitrating with typically gets hundreds of cases a year. You will maybe have one in your lifetime. Whose continued business are they going to be more likely to want to keep? Further, they do not have to rely on the law to come to their conclusion. For entities of equal power, arbitration can be really great, saves lots of money, keeps private things private, etc. But try mediating with Dell Computers over the fact that they sent you a defective product or something. Good luck with that.

Minimum wage increases hurt those that make barely above minimum wage the most. Say the slightly skilled worker makes $10-$15 an hour. That employee isn't going to give that person a raise just because minimum went up. Thus, these employees will receive closer and closer to minimum wage every time minimum goes up. . . Not saying that everyone isn't affected, but these people are so close it hurts them more.

Yes. It would encourage them to either stay there long enough to get a raise or find a better job. Upwardly mobile and all that. Minimum wage never was and never will be a livable wage. Think about it - to pay for it, the cost of goods will go up to pay for it and where does that end? Generations of people managed to survive without a minimum wage that was worth much. It won't kill this generation to pay their dues the way the rest of us did.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    If they really want to improve the wage situation in this country they need sell people on the idea of seeking additional job training and obtaining a formal education. Few minimum wage workers realize they could be in a good paying job in as little as two weeks to two years.

Thank you for pointing that out.

At the time in life when people should be getting training or an education, higher minimum wage lulls them into accepting a minimum wage job and their sucks at age thirty.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Knowing your interest and knowledge of weather, I am surprised you haven't tried to get some of that help mentioned above in order to try to get into that field. I can't help believe that you you would love it. It is doable, man, one way or another.

In short, I want you to make a LOT more money but by getting what you are worth and not with an increase in MW. It needs to go away completely.
    I think the same way. The sky should be the limit for Thunder. He shouldn't settle for minimum wage.

Thread Information