Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: May 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: May 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Full now-cast situation obviously - so tune into local TV mets. But the storm heading toward Fairview and another one heading toward Canton-Watonga area are big-time.

We should see these cells continue to head ENE, with eventual ESE jogs as they enter C OK. The timing will be pretty serious for all of I-35 as peak tornado conditions will exist as the cells cross the region.

And then the main show will be the cells that form once the LLJ kicks in and the outflow from these provide enough mixing to kick stuff off

When do we think storms would start entering/firing in the El Reno area and moving eastward?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    When do we think storms would start entering/firing in the El Reno area and moving eastward?
    Depends how quickly I get my onion burger.

Some impressive looking storms up to the northwest. Shocking that they’re struggling so much to drop a tornado.

LLJ is ramping up : https://twitter.com/StormHQwx/status...28464893300801

Okeene cell is on the ground

Lots of new cells firing in SW OK that could grow and impact the metro in an hour or two if they develop.

We're in the prime time.

Hopefully SE OKC can get some major rain out of this.

Question for Semi or Anon.

These discrete storms consistently seem to be moving NE to NNE, yet KWTV just put a track on them to reach OKC via a *ESE* motion vector. Are these things turning en masse?

Pretty wild footage of the inflow on channel 9.

Yeah that cigar cloud was insane.

….also I feel like news 9 has not utilized Jim Gardner much this year, and when they do use him, it seems awkward. The audio isn’t great either.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post

….also I feel like news 9 has not utilized Jim Gardner much this year, and when they do use him, it seems awkward. The audio isn’t great either.
    I wonder if that is due to the FAA given the hail incident and it not being Jim's first uh oh in the helicopter.

Since I've had a kid, my weather anxiety has increased tenfold. I'm in Tulsa, but watching closely... hope OKC stays safe!

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBenjals! View Post
    Since I've had a kid, my weather anxiety has increased tenfold. I'm in Tulsa, but watching closely... hope OKC stays safe!
    You'll get more than we will, it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I wonder if that is due to the FAA given the hail incident and it not being Jim's first uh oh in the helicopter.
    Not sure how FAA would affect KWTV's use of him other than whether he can fly at all, eg some sort of puniitve action affecting his license, which doesn't seem to be the case at all or we'd certainly have heard about it. I just think sometimes it's hard to use him in certain circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    What hail incident?

Storms are starting to take a concerning path toward okc. Pretty much what anon said they would do earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    What hail incident?
    A year or two ago, he got caught between two storms and his helicopter got beat with hail badly. He was yelling at David live on their broadcast as he was trying not to crash. Think he had to set down in a field or something. I also think he had an issue during the May 3rd tornado where he ran out of fuel while tracking that tornado. Think he had to set down in a field for that one too. Of course, that was a long time ago and could have been a different pilot. Think it was him though.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post

That old bigot is still employed?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Storms are starting to take a concerning path toward okc. Pretty much what anon said they would do earlier.
    The radar motion I'm watching keeps these storms on an NE to ENE track. There are apparently some models out there suggesting a more easterly direction or redevelopment later in the central OK area. Anything to the SW of the current development would bear watching.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Not sure how FAA would affect KWTV's use of him other than whether he can fly at all, eg some sort of puniitve action affecting his license, which doesn't seem to be the case at all or we'd certainly have heard about it. I just think sometimes it's hard to use him in certain circumstances.
    Come on now. We all know how important FAA approval is in OKC.

Yeah this line of storms are likely going NW of okc. Maybe grazes us. The models are hinting at a second line of storms that fires up further south. Those will hit us, but we’ll see if they can even get going.

Looking at the remaining visible satellite data we have with the sun setting, there is no significant CU field for storms building up to the SW of C OK; however, HRRR keeps showing development well after dark along I-44 from OKC down to Lawton.

If storms were to develop in SW and C OK, it would be approaching 10pm.

I do have concern for the development line to keep dragging W-E along I-40 and the result would be continued development of storms training over the same areas. Eventually this entire zone will shift SE, so there will be a period of time where we could see training of cells across C OK that will likely be rotating.

23. Default Re: May 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Exactly. I work at an aviation training/certification/recertification facility. If the FAA had issues with him being an unsafe pilot they wouldn't restrict his flying. They'd revoke his license.

Is it just me, or do the TV mets want something to hit the metro? I understand anything is possible and something will develop, but it almost seems like they will be disappointed if the metro doesn't get hammered.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Looking at the remaining visible satellite data we have with the sun setting, there is no significant CU field for storms building up to the SW of C OK; however, HRRR keeps showing development well after dark along I-44 from OKC down to Lawton.

If storms were to develop in SW and C OK, it would be approaching 10pm.

I do have concern for the development line to keep dragging W-E along I-40 and the result would be continued development of storms training over the same areas. Eventually this entire zone will shift SE, so there will be a period of time where we could see training of cells across C OK that will likely be rotating.
    Anon, doesn't it seem like the little storms in SW just start up then dissolve?

Thread Information