Thread: Restaurant closings

Default Re: Restaurant closings

Apparently the Bravo! Italian restaurant over by
    Super Target closed as signs were taken down the other day

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Apparently the Bravo! Italian restaurant over by
    Super Target closed as signs were taken down the other day
    it has been closed for maybe 6 months ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    it has been closed for maybe 6 months ..
    Didn't they just reopen less than a year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Mballard85 View Post
    Didn't they just reopen less than a year ago?
    i am not sure .. just remember that we were going to go there one day and i went to get the phone number to call and found out they were closed ..

Maybe something better will take its place. There is a reason it didn't survive the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Maybe something better will take its place. There is a reason it didn't survive the first time.
    the national company had lots of issue ... that would be why

Hey Pete, have you heard anything negative about the Industry Gastropub in Moore? They have long since finished the building and had hiring and "grand opening soon" signs up a couple of months ago, but they're gone, there's no sign of activity, and they've put some coverings on the windows that makes me wonder if they've had to abandon the place?? Any word?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Hey Pete, have you heard anything negative about the Industry Gastropub in Moore? They have long since finished the building and had hiring and "grand opening soon" signs up a couple of months ago, but they're gone, there's no sign of activity, and they've put some coverings on the windows that makes me wonder if they've had to abandon the place?? Any word?
    That was a Jeff Rogers operation and it stalled long before he died.

The other partners might be trying to open it, but I have no idea as to the status.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That was a Jeff Rogers operation and it stalled long before he died.

The other partners might be trying to open it, but I have no idea as to the status.
    Good heavens, I had no idea the man died. How sad. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Somebody just sent me this.

Pickerman's at SW 89th & Penn:

Didn't want to start a new thread for one question but any clue of what's going in? I went by to get the leasing phone number and the leasing sign is down and some people were working on it.

The price of labor and COGS has to just be killing most restaurants. Lunch shouldn’t cost $15 yet here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Didn't want to start a new thread for one question but any clue of what's going in? I went by to get the leasing phone number and the leasing sign is down and some people were working on it.
    i saw them painting the sign the other day... looks like some sort of taqueria that also serves hamburgers.

Cafe Do Brazil closing. From their facebook page:

Dear Customers, Friends …. and Family
    It is with a heavy heart (but a little excitement) that we are announcing the closing of Café do Brasil, Bossa Nova Bar and Sugar Loaf Catering on Saturday, April 29th. I have truly poured my heart and soul into this endeavor for over 17 years (and 10 years prior to that at More Than Muffins) but always said to myself that I would be taking a different route when I turn 65, and well that day will come on April 27th and I have decided to leave vertically instead of horizontally. It’s been a great journey for the last 27 years, with so many blessings from this community, who embraced me and my culture, when back in 1994 not very many people had even heard of Brasil, neither knew where it was located, nor what the cuisine was about, but little by little they were flocking in for black beans and rice, feijoada, our so popular cheese bread, or just coming in to listen to the beats of Bossa Nova, on Saturday mornings… It feels like it all happened yesterday, but so many years have gone by with so much joy, blessings, laughs, stress, tears at times, but one thing I can assure you… I lived it up every single moment, every single day and still am loving what I do. I guess the expression “work is not work when you enjoy what you do” is surreal, and there is nothing more rewarding in life when you have the opportunity to bring so many people together to celebrate with your food, the many births, marriages, engagements, graduations, proms, birthdays, even funerals, sad and troubling times, happy and joyous times, mentorships and just plain life itself over the years. I have had the pleasure to watch many of you grow up experiencing your own joys and drawing your own paths. So with that in mind it is time for me to hang up my hat and park my boots, and most definitely I have to say I wouldn’t have been able to shine so bright if it were not for MO, who is one of the most dedicated managers I ever had the pleasure to work with for the last 8 years, who embraced my customers as a family and made everyone to feel at home. So grateful to him and some of the staff members who have been putting up with me for the last 8 to 10 years as well.
    COVID has definitely changed many things in our lives, including running a full-service restaurant and bar - but maybe it just made my promise to myself that much easier to keep.
    I will truly miss this part of my life - it has been so, so appreciated! You have no idea! A great journey, a fabulous ride.
    So I am saying adios this way for now but if you get the chance please try to come by and say good bye in person before the 29th if you can.
    Beijos e muito Amor…
    Ana

https://www.facebook.com/cafedobrazilokc/

14. Default Re: Restaurant closings

^ WOW!!! This is sad. Very good and somewhat unique place that's been busy every time I've been by there.

15. Default Re: Restaurant closings

An owner reaching retirement is about the only positive way I can think of a restaurant to close. That said, a loss for Midtown in terms of food quality and diversity. I am naively hoping for a "Grill on the Hill" situation where we see the place later reopen under different management, ideally previous staff. Got to get my feijoada fix somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenHurricane22 View Post
    An owner reaching retirement is about the only positive way I can think of a restaurant to close. That said, a loss for Midtown in terms of food quality and diversity. I am naively hoping for a "Grill on the Hill" situation where we see the place later reopen under different management, ideally previous staff. Got to get my feijoada fix somewhere.
    I've never been unfortunately, but it sounds like the owner was the main cook? If so, that would be pretty hard to replicate if someone else were to purchase the restaurant and keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I've never been unfortunately, but it sounds like the owner was the main cook? If so, that would be pretty hard to replicate if someone else were to purchase the restaurant and keep it going.
    yes she is the chef ... and is there pretty much all the time they are open

DANG my wife and I just love Cafe de Brasil. Hate to see it close.

Interesting to note that the couple that owns Cafe de Brasil also owns that entire building and the parking lot to the east.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the property now that they've closed the restaurant.

Cafe Do Brazil closing really sucks, I will go and visit on the last day, I will miss it but she deserves a great retirement and I wish her the best!

27 years. That’s an amazing run.

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Cafe Do Brazil closing really sucks, I will go and visit on the last day, I will miss it but she deserves a great retirement and I wish her the best!
    get your reservation in. they are almost gone.

Okay I’m just gonna say it not a big loss. Big deal. It was mediocre Brazilian food at best. I come from a family half of which is Brazilian. I just didn’t think they were anything special.

24. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Would any of your family want to start a Brazilian restaurant here?

Hearing that doesn't surprise me--whenever I have asked someone from the country of origin of a restaurant, be it places like Zambrano's, Ma Der Lao, Queen of Sheba, etc., I get a response to the degree of "it's okay, but nothing like home." Makes sense that places 1000's of miles away can't source the same ingredients, get the same level of freshness, or rely on a communal/generational cooking culture. That said, some of us aren't so lucky to have such a personal connection, so even if it is the equivalent of looking at a picture of the Grand Canyon versus actually visiting the Grand Canyon, getting some level of an experience of a different cultural cuisine is exciting--particularly for myself who grew up in a household where going out to eat was too expensive and the name of the game was cereal, PB&J, and casseroles! So for me, the bigger sense of loss is that a restaurant that has been a part of my "food discovery" chapter as a young adult is going away, without a clear successor to it--the other Brazilian restaurants I know in OKC are both Brazilian steakhouses, which come off as more "Americanized" to me (although I don't claim to be an expert by any means in my limited experience of the world). I do imagine as I get more grizzled and see more unique restaurants come and go, it won't be as somber of a moment.

Do you have any good recommendations in the metro where one could continue to get dishes like feijoada or coxinha? Would be happy to find new places to support.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Okay I’m just gonna say it not a big loss. Big deal. It was mediocre Brazilian food at best. I come from a family half of which is Brazilian. I just didn’t think they were anything special.
    What does your family lineage or your personal view of their food have to do with the significance of them closing?

Thread Information