Widgets Magazine
Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 42434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1299

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Now Huston Huffman Center needs a major upgrade and aquatics facility including indoor and outdoor pools. It's in a great location in the middle of all of the new student housing but is outdated and smaller than OU's peer universities especially those in the SEC.
    There was a plan to do just that some time ago but it was never a high priority.

The fact they haven't built anything on the proposed expansion area tells me it will eventually happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    OKCTalk has obtained plans for the first phase of the total rebuilding of the freshman dorms at OU.

Funds were recently approved to demolish Adams Center, one of the three dorm towers just south of Lindsey Street.

The plans show that in place of the 12-story Adams, there will be two five-story brick buildings similar to the recently built residential colleges to the east.

In addition to new dorm rooms, each will have lounge and study areas as well as a large storm shelter. The north building will have a coffee shop; the south a convenience store.

All the dorm towers were built in the 1960s and President Joseph Harroz has said the university has adopted a “freshman housing master plan” which would systematically replace all. Once Adams is replaced Walker and Couch towers would also give way to similar new structures.

The university recently acquired the 1,200-bed Cross Center (Admas has 908) which will allow it to maintain a sufficient housing supply while they continue the demolish/rebuild process.

The architects are ADG/Blatt of Oklahoma City.

Always love the look of the Oklahoma standard red brick and white trim.

I wonder if the amount of beds in Adams will be replaced by these dorms. It doesn't seem like it since Adams had like 1,200 living in it.

I remember spending time in my friends super suite above cains. It always smelled like chicken. Hopefully DLB Hall will be around for a while....

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    I wonder if the amount of beds in Adams will be replaced by these dorms. It doesn't seem like it since Adams had like 1,200 living in it.

I remember spending time in my friends super suite above cains. It always smelled like chicken. Hopefully DLB Hall will be around for a while....
    All the current beds will be replaced by new ones.

5. Default Re: OU Projects

It's so long overdue. I was told that the university didn't put anyone in Adams this year to prepare for this. Not sure if that's true or not. If it is, then they have plenty of capacity to complete all of the projects and then determine if they even need to replace #3.

Bed bugs, bad HVAC, mold, etc. The places are disgusting. Hopefully when they renovated the even older ones like Cate, that they fixed of this stuff too because they were even worse.

Yes, Adams is currently empty and will soon be demolished.

The university bought the new Cross Center which more than off-sets the number of beds at Adams.

This is from an article about the new Football Operations Center. We should hopefully see some designs and a site plan soon.

The meeting agenda stated the new facility will appear adjacent to and will be separate from Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Castiglione confirmed the facility will include “elite” strength and conditioning, recovery, sports medicine, nutrition, offices and other amenities.

Last summer, OU demolished the vacated Bud Wilkinson House dorms located on the northeast corner of Lindsey Street and Jenkins Avenue.During the 2022 football season, the open space was used for extra private tailgating. While Castiglione couldn’t confirm when the new facility project would be finished, he noted Wednesday was an important first step.

“It's moving at a rapid pace,” Castiglione said. “Getting the architect on board is a key element to finalizing not only what the timetable would be, but to finding the actual scope of the project. … We've done some very preliminary work to understand what that might be because having this architect is the big first step if you will, to be able to determine it to find out what is obviously necessary.”
    https://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-bo...45653ce44.html

8. Default Re: OU Projects

Anyone else notice that they don't seem to have parking included here? Not that they had enough for Adams in the first place, so where are these folks supposed to park?

I will never understand the need for these types of "operations centers" especially after we forked over so many millions already with the stadium expansion and upgrades inside of it for the football program. It's like they need to spend hundreds of millions to keep up with the Joneses, only no one even knows why they are spending so much at this point. It's just a money burning competition.

I know it's been said a million times, but even a fraction of this money in any number of programs that survive off scraps would have a huge impact. They had to crowdfund to expand Fears Lab with a new metal building extension. That place is a tiny hodge podge of extensions built over the years, yet it produces so much value to the university through classes and research.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    I will never understand the need for these types of "operations centers" especially after we forked over so many millions already with the stadium expansion and upgrades inside of it for the football program. It's like they need to spend hundreds of millions to keep up with the Joneses, only no one even knows why they are spending so much at this point. It's just a money burning competition.

I know it's been said a million times, but even a fraction of this money in any number of programs that survive off scraps would have a huge impact. They had to crowdfund to expand Fears Lab with a new metal building extension. That place is a tiny hodge podge of extensions built over the years, yet it produces so much value to the university through classes and research.
    Uh yeah...that's exactly what it's about and we haven't been keeping up well enough hence the inability to get over the hump. Changes need to be made with the move to the SEC looming. It's money well spent given the return on investment the football team brings in for the entire athletic department when it's good and how much additional money the SEC move is adding to the athletic department budget. A long period of football mediocrity or worse would be massively detrimental to the non-revenue sports.

If you aren't a fan of college athletics that's fine (and understandable) but if you don't think those funds need to be spent on the football program or that the facilities aren't necessary, you don't know enough about college athletics to even take part in the conversation and should stay out of it.

11. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Uh yeah...that's exactly what it's about and we haven't been keeping up well enough hence the inability to get over the hump. Changes need to be made with the move to the SEC looming. It's money well spent given the return on investment the football team brings in for the entire athletic department when it's good and how much additional money the SEC move is adding to the athletic department budget. A long period of football mediocrity or worse would be massively detrimental to the non-revenue sports.

If you aren't a fan of college athletics that's fine (and understandable) but if you don't think those funds need to be spent on the football program or that the facilities aren't necessary, you don't know enough about college athletics to even take part in the conversation and should stay out of it.
    A little harsh at the end, but it's true. Even if you hate football, you have to understand how much is brings in to support the other athletics. If football fails, everyone else fails too. It's just a reality of how it works...and not just at OU. They spend to win because winning makes you popular, so more people attend games/buy shirts/donate/etc. And that money that comes in gets spread out. Soccer, for example, can't pay for it's facilities/staff/transportation off of what it makes in ticket sales. It needs money from football in order to even survive. Basketball is the next biggest revenue stream, and it's struggling right now at OU. But all those away games are expensive for transportation/housing/etc.

Sports costs a CRAP TON of money. But it also brings in a CRAP TON of money.

I'm fully aware of how much money CFB brings. What I'm saying is there's no clear connection between this massive lump of money and success any more. What difference will this facility make vs the world class facilities we already have? At some point you run out of things to gold plate. I see it as spending money for the sake of spending money. Besides, look at Nebraska. Pretty mediocre record recently, but they still print money, don't they? Same could be said about a lot of big programs. Not everyone can be national champ contenders every year. Is the dividing line between success and mediocrity another fancy workout room?

The facilities race is slowly dying. The NIL race is the one OU needs to be focusing on. Kids don't care where they play or how large the gym is if they make $25k a month.

14. Default Re: OU Projects

I'm fully aware of how much money CFB brings. What I'm saying is there's no clear connection between this massive lump of money and success any more. What difference will this facility make vs the world class facilities we already have? At some point you run out of things to gold plate. I see it as spending money for the sake of spending money. Besides, look at Nebraska. Pretty mediocre record recently, but they still print money, don't they? Same could be said about a lot of big programs. Not everyone can be national champ contenders every year. Is the dividing line between success and mediocrity another fancy workout room?
    Yep, sometimes it is - especially when trying to compete in the SEC.

I don't think Nebraska is "printing money" they aren't struggling financially but the football program being terrible is hurting their athletic program.

You just really don't understand how far behind we are from many SEC schools the programs that are consistently winning or competing for national championships. Our facilities are nice but are not on the level of the yearly contenders. And if you are already behind and don't plan for the future...where does that put your facilities in 5 years? It's a business and if you don't keep up, you get left behind...and that is already starting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    The facilities race is slowly dying. The NIL race is the one OU needs to be focusing on. Kids don't care where they play or how large the gym is if they make $25k a month.
    NIL matters but you are vastly overestimating it's impact versus facilities, winning, etc. Not every player is making that kind of money and there's no way to build depth if that is your only selling point (because you aren't paying your 3 star freshman offensive tackle, that you brought in to develop, $25,000/ month.

17. Default Re: OU Projects

Bit of rabbit hole here, but coaches are already either winning/turning away/losing players on what the coaches can offer in NIL money. The high talent kids now know that its another element to their school choice. They may not go on to pro status, but while they are playing, they make enough money to nicely pad their young adult life. I think it's just part of the equitation and no one has really figured it all out yet.

Facility absolutely do matter. There's a balance between what you spend and what you get though. It takes SOOOOO much to be the top dog. But you might have an easier life if you're just say top 10 instead of that #1 spot. The Thunder certainly decided that they dont want to spend what it takes to stay up there but think they're making plenty of money the way they are. I'd just assume fire Mr Presti for what he's done to us. But if they're happy from a business model, then they probably aren't going to be going anywhere either....and have a lot less drama/stress to deal with not having so many high talent folks on the team.

18. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    The Thunder certainly decided that they dont want to spend what it takes to stay up there but think they're making plenty of money the way they are. I'd just assume fire Mr Presti for what he's done to us. But if they're happy from a business model, then they probably aren't going to be going anywhere either....and have a lot less drama/stress to deal with not having so many high talent folks on the team.
    I don't want to go off topic, so I won't respond to this here, but if you want to put this in a Thunder thread I'd be glad to tell you why you are wrong.

The Thunder certainly decided that they dont want to spend what it takes to stay up there but think they're making plenty of money the way they are. I'd just assume fire Mr Presti for what he's done to us. But if they're happy from a business model, then they probably aren't going to be going anywhere either....and have a lot less drama/stress to deal with not having so many high talent folks on the team.
    Tell me you don't follow the NBA without telling me you don't follow the NBA.

20. Default Re: OU Projects

Matter of opinion but ok. You're certainly entitled to it.

Matter of opinion but ok. You're certainly entitled to it.
    #1 This is an OU projects forum.
    #2 Your thoughts are just flat out wrong. KD left which was not expected and would have cost the Thunder a lot of $ they were willing to spend. They tried to keep up trading for PG but with Russ declining production and PG not able to fully replace KD he chose to blow it all out and get as many assets as he could. He did. Now the Thunder are in the playoff picture without even trying yet. After the season, a lot of $ that has been tied up is going to be freed. CH will be back healthy and who knows what will happen between the draft and FA to add to that team but they are going to be much more involved in the playoff picture than they are this year. But keep on doubting them.

22. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    #1 This is an OU projects forum.
    #2 Your thoughts are just flat out wrong. KD left which was not expected and would have cost the Thunder a lot of $ they were willing to spend. They tried to keep up trading for PG but with Russ declining production and PG not able to fully replace KD he chose to blow it all out and get as many assets as he could. He did. Now the Thunder are in the playoff picture without even trying yet. After the season, a lot of $ that has been tied up is going to be freed. CH will be back healthy and who knows what will happen between the draft and FA to add to that team but they are going to be much more involved in the playoff picture than they are this year. But keep on doubting them.
    I put comments in the Thunder thread so we can move there. We're 13th out of 15...consistently been there for years. We're not playoff contenders and haven't been for a while.

Blog Entries

I put comments in the Thunder thread so we can move there. We're 13th out of 15...consistently been there for years. We're not playoff contenders and haven't been for a while.
    We missed the playoff last two years. That’s a very short time for rebuilding in the NBA.

Secondly, the Thunder aren’t going to obviously tank this year, but are not trying hard to be in the playoffs. One more lottery pick this year is better for them.

If you follow the NBA very much you would see how skillfully Presti has navigated this. LOTS of picks following this year, LOTS of cap space. LOTS of players as good trade bait. LOTS of potential stars already on the team. And one bonafide super star locked up in long term contract .

Here are some recent aerials of the new softball complex, under construction south of the existing facility and north of Lloyd Noble. The gymnastics building is immediately west.

So excited to see this get built as it has been a long time coming!

Thread Information