Widgets Magazine
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 News and Information

Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

I found this opinion piece interesting. I wonder if anything will come from it.

https://www.newsweek.com/its-time-sc...pinion-1776630

That piece is a litany of assertions without presented evidence; it’s polemical and nothing more. Nothing will come of it.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    That piece is a litany of assertions without presented evidence; it’s polemical and nothing more. Nothing will come of it.
    I was going to post something about how it would've been nice if he would've offered any kind of evidence about what was wrong instead of just saying "we believed Fauci when he was wrong" (why and when was he wrong?). He kind of did do that, in some of the links at the top of the article, but you said it better than I would've.

4. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

So much projection in that opinion piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    I found this opinion piece interesting. I wonder if anything will come from it.

https://www.newsweek.com/its-time-sc...pinion-1776630
    Interesting in the same way that a car crash is interesting, sure. Dude doesn't cite anything in this rambling jeremiad to back up his central point.

6. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

I'm sure mistakes were made. This was a very different thing than we had ever been through before. Experience is a great teacher and we had none or very little. But to write a piece like that is pretty irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I'm sure mistakes were made. This was a very different thing than we had ever been through before. Experience is a great teacher and we had none or very little. But to write a piece like that is pretty irresponsible.
    similar pieces have now been in the washington post the NY times and lots of other papers ..

Science is the process of trying to figure out things we don't yet understand, constantly learning, adding that to our knowledgebase and always improving society by simply knowing more than before.

Opinion and politics have nothing to do with truth or bettering society. It's all in aid of the selfish desires of an individual or a group.

9. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    similar pieces have now been in the washington post the NY times and lots of other papers ..
    No doubt. And their all opinions and irresponsible. It will take years to accurately evaluate COVID response and have a solid lessons learned picture.

No doubt. And their all opinions and irresponsible. It will take years to accurately evaluate COVID response and have a solid lessons learned picture.
    i am not going argue

but they are not irresponsible

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Interesting in the same way that a car crash is interesting, sure. Dude doesn't cite anything in this rambling jeremiad to back up his central point.
    Interesting in that it seems like the media is setting up a narrative where it can slowly bleed the uncomfortable facts of the what happened during the pandemic to the public. Then the public can accept that mistakes were made and the media can drive traffic to their site through sustained clicks over time.

Maybe as you think nothing will come out of his central point, or maybe something will come of it. Only time will tell. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

Interesting in that it seems like the media is setting up a narrative where it can slowly bleed the uncomfortable facts of the what happened during the pandemic to the public. Then the public can accept that mistakes were made and the media can drive traffic to their site through sustained clicks over time.

Maybe as you think nothing will come out of his central point, or maybe something will come of it. Only time will tell. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward.
    Seems like we kind of already know what was right and wrong.

Widespread shutdowns of businesses and schools, bad. Decision making by a small group of bureaucrats, bad. Certain segments of population freaking out about relatively benign things like masking, bad. US intel not having more info out of China, bad. Doling out of easy government money that much of it went to waste, bad.

Vaccines, good, especially early on. This might be the one thing time will tell but the harm of them is overblown imo. The speed and quality of western pharmaceutical companies, good. A good chunk of the population buying in to helping each other out, good.

Weekly update:

Weekly update:

Weekly update:

I'm about due for my 6th COVID vaccination. Knock on wood, I am blessed that I have not caught COVID but I also never go out publicly without my KN95 mask.

17. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Both my wife and I got it twice. In April/May of 2020 and again in November of 2020. We were both wearing N95 masks then and I was the only one leaving the house except for her going to work. We got our second dose of the first round in May 2021 and honestly didn't look back. We've gotten every booster as soon as approved. Except for a few months that my work required masks inside the building or doctor office/hospital visits we haven't had a mask on since vaccination. We looked at it as "If we get it again after all this it was just meant to be". We've been out to eat way too much, gone to concerts, sports events etc. and been fine. I'm all for masks still if people want to. I will defend anyone that wears one against the ridiculous anti-mask people. But I do find it ironic that we got it when we were being VERY careful and haven't since getting vaccinated and throwing caution to the wind. I'm a believer that the vaccines are doing their job.

Sorry, but after being highly impressed by how effective and fast acting Paxlovid got me over my 2nd case of covid, I'll put my faith in using that medication in the future, rather than on getting booster covid vaccines, considering how highly controversial they are. I have only elected to get the first two doses of Pfizer. I wasn't going to get them, until I saw where a local fireman only in his 40s got so severely ill from covid that he had to have a double lung transplant. For now, I just hope that Paxlovid will also be highly effective on future strains. But, thankfully, future covid strains are supposed to be milder.

How effective KN95 masks are against covid is also controversial. I simply say masks are definitely useless, unless you're willing to wear them whenever around people, including while at home. So, some people may say they wore a mask everywhere but came down with covid, anyway. So there you go as to why masks are controversial. I wonder how effective doctors and nurses think masks are? I also wonder how the doctor thinks about masks who faced me while double masked and saying my covid symptoms sounded like hers when she had it. I regret not asking her. I'll admit I was never ever wearing a mask before I came down with my two cases of covid. But my first apparent case came about in Feb. of 2020 when donning masks had not become a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I simply say masks are definitely useless, unless you're willing to wear them whenever around people, including while at home.
    That's not how the statistics work of reducing your potentiel infection attack surfaces. Any masked moment helps reduce the infection probability on a sliding scale, especially if those moments are when you are around more people outside your immediate social circle.

Considering that every respectable hospital in the metro OKC requires that all occupants be masked at all times and that such policies are traditionally signed off on by the CMO and CNO, I think you can safely presume most rational doctors and nurses think masks work.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Considering that every respectable hospital in the metro OKC requires that all occupants be masked at all times and that such policies are traditionally signed off on by the CMO and CNO, I think you can safely presume most rational doctors and nurses think masks work.
    the local hospitals are not making that decision .... it is still a federal requirement that they do it ..

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the local hospitals are not making that decision .... it is still a federal requirement that they do it ..
    Not totally accurate, but coming from you on this topic, not surprising.

23. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Not totally accurate, but coming from you on this topic, not surprising.
    True. CDC guidance was for masks to be worn but guidance is just that, guidance. The CDC also updated its guidance a few months ago to not require masks if the facility is in a low transmission area. In some cases the states required it. New York dropped their requirement a few days ago for one.

True. CDC guidance was for masks to be worn but guidance is just that, guidance. The CDC also updated its guidance a few months ago to not require masks if the facility is in a low transmission area. In some cases the states required it. New York dropped their requirement a few days ago for one.
    Wow, I didn't know that New York was that far behind. Any states still require them? Do you still need them in federal buildings?

25. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Wow, I didn't know that New York was that far behind. Any states still require them? Do you still need them in federal buildings?
    As far as federal buildings it would be an agency by agency decision. Ours requires masks if your facility is in a county that the CDC has listed as Medium or High risk.

Thread Information