Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Boston and Portland, please. And Detroit. No reason OKC should not have all of the hubs in America covered.
    Plenty of reasons. Airlines fly their planes where they return optimal income. If they determined there was enough demand and ROI to fly OKC-BOs vs. having that plane on another route, then they'd do it. It's not complicated.

2. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by oktxatty View Post
    Boeing/aerospace contributes little to OKC-SEA. Post-pandemic travel to Alaska and the Pacific NW has expolded and leisure travelers make up the majority of bookings. As for SFO, UA had a N/S pre-Covid, it was full the few times I flew on it. But when China and much of the Orient closed or had significant retrictions, they eliminated that flight.
    When I flew the SFO flights pre-Covid several times it was full or oversold. United currently has pitiful service from OKC. Sure, they may be deploying aircraft where they think they can make more money, but they have just given up on competing with AA in OKC for now and that's sad. They have more gates than AA for crying out loud! At least on the service they do have they should be running mainline, but even that is only RJs. As we were walking to our gate waaaaay at the end of terminal B in Denver on a CRJ-700 I was shocked at some of the cities that had mainline service from Denver. Cedar Rapids, IA, with barely 1M passengers a year, has mainline service to Denver. I guess I'm glad I'm throwing most of my business AA's way.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    When I flew the SFO flights pre-Covid several times it was full or oversold. United currently has pitiful service from OKC. Sure, they may be deploying aircraft where they think they can make more money, but they have just given up on competing with AA in OKC for now and that's sad. They have more gates than AA for crying out loud! At least on the service they do have they should be running mainline, but even that is only RJs. As we were walking to our gate waaaaay at the end of terminal B in Denver on a CRJ-700 I was shocked at some of the cities that had mainline service from Denver. Cedar Rapids, IA, with barely 1M passengers a year, has mainline service to Denver. I guess I'm glad I'm throwing most of my business AA's way.
    Trekking to/from the "stinger" gates at DEN where the RJ's park is such a pain.

4. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Trekking to/from the "stinger" gates at DEN where the RJ's park is such a pain.
    My hope is with the substantial infusion of new mainline aircraft United is expecting, we will see fewer UA CRJs and ER4s in OKC. My fingers are crossed as I would much prefer to stick with them over moving back to AA - far superior customer service.

5. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Looking at flights to IAH in April and it appears United has reverted back to a no mainline, regional aircraft only approach. Just no love for OKC - AA and WN must be killing them here.

6. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Looking at flights to IAH in April and it appears United has reverted back to a no mainline, regional aircraft only approach. Just no love for OKC - AA and WN must be killing them here.
    I wonder how their prices compare to WN/Frontier to Denver, and AA/WN to ORD/MDW, and WN to HOU? When I search they are usually the most expensive. On a random long weekend in July to Chicago, for direct flights: AA was $468. WN was $396. United was $672.

So when you have cheaper options to the only 3 cities they go to it's probably not a surprise there are no mainlines.

That's why bringing back SFO makes so much sense for them. In their eyes why bring back EWR since AA/DL have directs to LGA now? Why bring back IAD when AA/WN have directs to DCA?

United's bread and butter is business travel that books within 3 weeks of departure date. They are usually the last to load firm schedules regarding aircraft type. As such they don't sell cheap fare buckets until they know what their actual capacity on a route will be. If you want a ticket now they'll sell you one, but it will likely be more expensive than if you book it 45 days out.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I wonder how their prices compare to WN/Frontier to Denver, and AA/WN to ORD/MDW, and WN to HOU? When I search they are usually the most expensive. On a random long weekend in July to Chicago, for direct flights: AA was $468. WN was $396. United was $672.

So when you have cheaper options to the only 3 cities they go to it's probably not a surprise there are no mainlines.

That's why bringing back SFO makes so much sense for them. In their eyes why bring back EWR since AA/DL have directs to LGA now? Why bring back IAD when AA/WN have directs to DCA?
    Because EWR and IAD are UA's pirmary gateways to Europe & the Mideast, and EWR is more convenient to Penn Station, East Side/Lower Manhattan and Wall Street than LGA. And as Catch22 said, if you think booking a few months in advance will result in lower fares, airline pricing algorithms have changed, cheaper can often be 6 weeks or less, depending on the market. I fly 3 weeks a month and have seen this over the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Alaska hasn't added any new routes or frequencies since their inaugural OKC->SEA route, yet has seen tremendous growth to the point that they've upgraded from an E175 to a 737-900. Just upgrading aircraft can have a significant impact on numbers
    This is great to hear. We are taking the OKC to SEA and then to YVR to take an Alaskan cruise in July. Then, we fly from Anchorage to SEA and then back to OKC. That OKC-SEA nonstop could do really well as a connection to NW Canada and Alaska.

10. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

sounds great. hope you planned a few days in YVR (Vancouver, Canada); it's worth the trip just to go there let a lone sail from there.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    United's bread and butter is business travel that books within 3 weeks of departure date. They are usually the last to load firm schedules regarding aircraft type. As such they don't sell cheap fare buckets until they know what their actual capacity on a route will be. If you want a ticket now they'll sell you one, but it will likely be more expensive than if you book it 45 days out.
    When is the best time to book long-haul international flights on United?

We go to Buenos Aires, Argentina at least every few years. I try to use points and sometimes we get incredible fares for relatively cheap (60k - 65k points for a ticket that usually runs at least $1,200). We can transfer Chase points much easier to United than other carriers so they're usually the first place we look, but sometimes it's hard to find the decent Saver fares.

International is firmed up much earlier (slots, route authorities etc) so typically 3-7 months out should still have good mix of fares. Rewards obviously may want to do even sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    International is firmed up much earlier (slots, route authorities etc) so typically 3-7 months out should still have good mix of fares. Rewards obviously may want to do even sooner.
    Appreciate the confirmation! That seems consistent with what I've generally seen. Just hope they stop trying to connect that route to Canada for Saver fares

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post

We go to Buenos Aires, Argentina at least every few years. I try to use points and sometimes we get incredible fares for relatively cheap (60k - 65k points for a ticket that usually runs at least $1,200). We can transfer Chase points much easier to United than other carriers so they're usually the first place we look, but sometimes it's hard to find the decent Saver fares.
    Booked flights to/from Europe this summer using United miles. Ended up getting them for roughly 60,000 points each in Economy which if paying would be $2k+. International tickets are stupid expensive right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post

Oooh, is Buenos Aires nice? I've been dying to go there for so long but it never makes the final cut these last 15 years for vacation. I love the idea of no jet lag.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Oooh, is Buenos Aires nice? I've been dying to go there for so long but it never makes the final cut these last 15 years for vacation. I love the idea of no jet lag.
    Not Teo, but Buenos Aires is amazing. You should absolutely go.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Not Teo, but Buenos Aires is amazing. You should absolutely go.
    I went to Buenos Aires in 2015, it was an amazing city and worth the long flight from the U.S. It has a very European look and feel but the overall culture is distinctly Latin American. Mendoza and the wine country is a fun side trip, about a 1.5 hour flight from BA. The vineyards are next to the Andes that are covered with snow even in the summer because the peaks from 18-20k ft high. Parts of the Pampas region west of BA looks just like the western parts of Oklahoma and even have a tornado season.

Argentina top to bottom is incredible. Mendoza, Bariloche, Iguazú, Salta/Jujuy, Buenos Aires, South Atlantic areas (Chubut, Tierra de Fuego). Tip Argentina on its side and it runs Los Angeles to New York, so it's truly massive.

It's a huge city with a distinct identity and some really cool characteristics. It has probably the richest economic history of any South American city and you can feel that, but the last generation has seen them fade into the background of Brazil.

3-5 full days is plenty to do the necessary things. A 2 week trip hitting up 3 of the locales I listed above is definitely a worthy adventure.

Parts of the Pampas region west of BA looks just like the western parts of Oklahoma and even have a tornado season.

This feels more like a reason to stay far away. If I wanted to vacation in Western Oklahoma, I'd go squat on a dirt patch.

Parts of the Pampas region west of BA looks just like the western parts of Oklahoma and even have a tornado season.

This feels more like a reason to stay far away. If I wanted to vacation in Western Oklahoma, I'd go squat on a dirt patch.
    Hahaha!!

Yeah, pretty much from Buenos Aires (Capital Federal, as opposed to the province) until the Andes it feels very similar to Oklahoma, terrain and weather wise. The same latitude Buenos Aires falls on in the Northern Hemisphere is between Ardmore and Paul's Valley.

Much north or south of those latitudes it changes drastically

21. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Booked flights to/from Europe this summer using United miles. Ended up getting them for roughly 60,000 points each in Economy which if paying would be $2k+. International tickets are stupid expensive right now.
    While there are some limitations on where you can go and when you can go, I urge people who love to travel to check out going.com which scours the Net for deals both internationally and domestically and lets you know by email when they find them. A premium subscription ($50/yr) gets you more control of what you get sent via email. This week they emailed me deals for under $600 this spring and next fall to both Madrid and Barcelona on legacy carriers. I love it and we used it this last fall to go to Ireland on $598 RT tickets to Ireland on Delta. For a family of 4 to go to Europe for $2400 we thought was a screaming deal. Ireland was awesome, too. It wasn't on my list necessarily, but the ticket price was too good to pass up, and we ended up loving the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    While there are some limitations on where you can go and when you can go, I urge people who love to travel to check out going.com which scours the Net for deals both internationally and domestically and lets you know by email when they find them. A premium subscription ($50/yr) gets you more control of what you get sent via email. This week they emailed me deals for under $600 this spring and next fall to both Madrid and Barcelona on legacy carriers. I love it and we used it this last fall to go to Ireland on $598 RT tickets to Ireland on Delta. For a family of 4 to go to Europe for $2400 we thought was a screaming deal. Ireland was awesome, too. It wasn't on my list necessarily, but the ticket price was too good to pass up, and we ended up loving the country.
    That used to be Scott's cheap flights.

23. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    That used to be Scott's cheap flights.
    Right. They JUST changed the name this month.

Depends. I just booked a r/t to Amsterdam yesterday for travel the last week in Feb for ~$900 in Comfort+ on Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    That OKC-SEA nonstop could do really well as a connection to NW Canada and Alaska.
    Already is - which is why they upgraded ithe flight to the 739 over a year and a half ago.

Thread Information