Widgets Magazine
Page 43 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2118

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Good hire for OU. Have confidence that Brent will build the defense back to a respectable level.

Welcome back, Brent

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I never thought I'd be happy to see Venables back, but it appears time heals all wounds. The Clemson fans sure seem awfully sad to see him go. It says a bit about his character that OU kind of did him dirty twice, in my mind, and he still wanted this job. First being demoting him when Mike returned (I was in favor at the time), second is not even being considered for the job when Bob retired (I was also in favor of Riley becoming coach at the time). He has passed on who knows how many head coaching jobs waiting for this opportunity. I think he might be the next 20 year guy at OU, especially if he has early success, like Bob.
    I was in favor of bringing Mike back as well. It’s funny to look back now because even Brent’s worse defenses were all in or just out of the top 10. Would’ve killed to have had his defenses over the last 10 years. Fans are dumb sometimes lol.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Brent wasn’t fired and has always had a good relationship with Mike, so that would not happen.
    Yeah I’m not sure how or why everyone has convinced themselves that Brent was fired from OU. Kelly Ogle said that he was fired and asked Dean a question about it…Dean (unsurprisingly) didn’t correct him on that. So it’s not just posters and people too young to remember but also people in the media who covered the team back then. Wild

4. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah I’m not sure how or why everyone has convinced themselves that Brent was fired from OU. Kelly Ogle said that he was fired and asked Dean a question about it…Dean (unsurprisingly) didn’t correct him on that. So it’s not just posters and people too young to remember but also people in the media who covered the team back then. Wild
    Right. I have no idea where this idea that he got fired, pushed out, or left angry came from. Fans invented the story and I guess some people accept it as gospel. The real circumstances around his departure—and how it almost didn’t happen because Venables had second thoughts about leaving OU and had to be convinced by Swinney to go to Clemson—has been well documented.

He supported bringing Mike Stoops back because they had been friends and coaches together since Kansas State. But Austin Box died from an accidental overdose and then the very next day Venables’s brother, who Brent had just invested months helping get treatment for severe alcoholism, which seemingly succeeded, suddenly and unexpectedly died. It was very rough for Venables and he came away from that dual tragedy thinking he needed a change. He interviewed at Clemson, was offered the job, and accepted it. On his way back to Norman, he changed his mind and called Coach Swinney to tell him he was staying at OU. Swinney asked him to not make decision until they had a chance to speak in depth. Venables’s wife also supported a change for him and urged him to take the Clemson job. Ultimately, as we know, he did. And it definitely wasn’t because he was fired or pushed out.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Right. I have no idea where this idea that he got fired, pushed out, or left angry came from. Fans invented the story and I guess some people accept it as gospel. The real circumstances around his departure—and how it almost didn’t happen because Venables had second thoughts about leaving OU and had to be convinced by Swinney to go to Clemson—has been well documented.

He supported bringing Mike Stoops back because they had been friends and coaches together since Kansas State. But Austin Box died from an accidental overdose and then the very next day Venables’s brother, who Brent had just invested months helping get treatment for severe alcoholism, which seemingly succeeded, suddenly and unexpectedly died. It was very rough for Venables and he came away from that dual tragedy thinking he needed a change. He interviewed at Clemson, was offered the job, and accepted it. On his way back to Norman, he changed his mind and called Coach Swinney to tell him he was staying at OU. Swinney asked him to not make decision until they had a chance to speak in depth. Venables’s wife also supported a change for him and urged him to take the Clemson job. Ultimately, as we know, he did. And it definitely wasn’t because he was fired or pushed out.
    I either didn't know or didn't remember any of this. Jeez, I'm already starting to think we don't deserve him. I never thought I'd be so pumped so soon after our season literally falling apart, but Brent's got me more excited than Lincoln ever did. He has been waiting for this for so long, I think he's going to be extremely successful here.

I either didn't know or didn't remember any of this. Jeez, I'm already starting to think we don't deserve him. I never thought I'd be so pumped so soon after our season literally falling apart, but Brent's got me more excited than Lincoln ever did. He has been waiting for this for so long, I think he's going to be extremely successful here.
    I agree. We are taking some hits right now, however, "I believe it is necessary for OU to pivot to an SEC mindset. For those who. lament not having serial 10 win seasons in the SEC, I say so what. I'll take a 10-11 win team every 3-4 years and in between 9-3 or even 8-4. The Big 12 did not prepare OU for the CFB playoffs (PAC 12 won't prepare USC either).SEC is the premier CFB conference and our HC seems to understand and embrace the need to shift attitudes in the players and staff. GO BV!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I agree. We are taking some hits right now, however, "I believe it is necessary for OU to pivot to an SEC mindset. For those who. lament not having serial 10 win seasons in the SEC, I say so what. I'll take a 10-11 win team every 3-4 years and in between 9-3 or even 8-4. The Big 12 did not prepare OU for the CFB playoffs (PAC 12 won't prepare USC either).SEC is the premier CFB conference and our HC seems to understand and embrace the need to shift attitudes in the players and staff. GO BV!!!
    You'll take 8-9 win OU teams 75% of the time? You surely have to be like one of the only OU fans to believe that, no?

This is whats funny about the last couple weeks and OU fans, convincing themselves that the SEC will be great even thought they know they will struggle, convincing themselves that the DC they were happy to see gone 10 years ago will now be a great head coach, and that the best offensive mind in college football really wasnt that good of a coach, would have sucked in the SEC and are happy to see him gone. I guess those are things you have to tell yourself when going through an existential crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    You'll take 8-9 win OU teams 75% of the time? You surely have to be like one of the only OU fans to believe that, no?

This is whats funny about the last couple weeks and OU fans, convincing themselves that the SEC will be great even thought they know they will struggle, convincing themselves that the DC they were happy to see gone 10 years ago will now be a great head coach, and that the best offensive mind in college football really wasnt that good of a coach, would have sucked in the SEC and are happy to see him gone. I guess those are things you have to tell yourself when going through an existential crisis.
    There is a lot of reason for optimism as an OU fan. Joe C has done a great job, and if Brent Venables was his number one choice, I trust him. Watching Venables's conferences as OU HC has also helped convince me he'll be great for this program.

As for Riley being the best offensive mind in college football, he may very well be. I also recognize he was handed a gift when he was made OU HC, and he hasn't ever built a program. OU had also not done a lot of growing/improving on the offensive side of the ball after Kyler and Baker graduated. Spencer Rattler regressed after last season, so doesn't Riley get the blame for that? I've read our offensive production declined over the past 4 years, and there were times, this season, our team came out completely unprepared to play. So, it's easy to understand why some of us look at it as not the biggest blow to the program that he left.

As for the SEC, we'll be just fine. There's nobody beating Nick Saban with any regularity, and with a defense-first head coach, I think we'll be prepared to compete annually for the SEC championship. It's still Oklahoma football. If Lincoln doesn't want the pressure to win in the SEC, he clearly shouldn't coach in the SEC. If he didn't believe OU would be competitive in the SEC, he shouldn't be an OU football coach. There's no reason to think OU shouldn't be competitive in any conference.

To me OU is so much better off in the SEC. Yeah, most likely the first couple of years are going to be rough, but it will be for the better. I don't get those who think OU needs to stay in the Big 12 because they have a better shot at the title. No disrespect but to me that is a loser's mentality. That's basically saying "we can't compete with the big boys, so we'll beat up on the pathetic Big 12 and basically not have a prayer in the playoffs. OU is a big enough program, that it won't take long for them playing the big boys consistently, to become legit contenders to win a National Title. Oh, and keep in mind, it's been over 20 years since OU has won one. The Big 12 is crap, and it has hurt OU more than helped.

Let's not forget that possible playoff expansion means more teams from the same conference will have a shot, so it isn't always necessary to win every single game in the SEC, much less win the conference championship, to get into the playoffs. The Big 12 will weaken considerably with the departure of OU and UT, and it's a good time to get out.

I'm optimistic about the future of OU football.

Does anyone have any insight on the Riley affair rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    Gabe Ikard and Teddy Lehman said on their podcast that it was all complete BS; they were both angry that people would attack Lincoln's family that way, no matter how upset they may be.

This is the extreme downside to virtually un-moderated sports forums. One in particular allowed this crap to be posted and it's still there. Unbelievably irresponsible and that entire site is a disgrace to OU fans, Oklahomans and all reasonable human beings. It's so incredibly ugly, and not just because of this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Gabe Ikard and Teddy Lehman said on their podcast that it was all complete BS; they were both angry that people would attack Lincoln's family that way, no matter how upset they may be.

This is the extreme downside to virtually un-moderated sports forums. One in particular allowed this crap to be posted and it's still there. Unbelievably irresponsible and that entire site is a disgrace to OU fans, Oklahomans and all reasonable human beings. It's so incredibly ugly, and not just because of this topic.
    Thanks, I didn't believe any of it for a second but then I heard it in person today from someone that made me think there's more to it and figured someone on here may know.

While I do not agree with attacking anyone’s family, LR by his actions precipitated these responses. It is not that he left but LR unlike BS, left OU significantly worse than when he took it over. How? in his wake he left turmoil, uncertainty, defections, recruiting losses. His selfish action(s) created the deserved backlash

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    People will never cease to amaze me. This sounds the old HeeHaw show "I don't spread rumors, I only tell them one time"

16. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    While I do not agree with attacking anyone’s family, LR by his actions precipitated these responses. It is not that he left but LR unlike BS, left OU significantly worse than when he took it over. How? in his wake he left turmoil, uncertainty, defections, recruiting losses. His selfish action(s) created the deserved backlash
    As ticked off as I am at LR. He deserves backlash for what he's done to the OU football program. Attacking his family and personal life is inexcusable.

Leave LR's personal life out it as it isn't related to the program. I am more interested in the possible allegations that Manning was recruiting for USC at the same time he was on OU's payroll and the possible repercussions for that.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I loved Brent back then and wasn't one of the ones that wanted him gone. I didn't want Mike gone either. I didn't want Bob gone either. Yes, many OU fans were calling for Bob's head back then, only to worship him again when he retired. OU fans can be pretty spoiled and are fickle (me included). As for Riley, I was calling him out way before this season even started. For those that really watch the games, you saw the noticeable culture change of our team during his time. He may be a great offensive genius, but his mentality is soft and his players played that way. If you watched Coach Venables' presser, he said everything diehard OU fans wanted to hear in regards to his approach on coaching, recruiting, etc. We were definitely in a "crisis" last Sunday when Riley jet. But I feel 1000% better now about the future of our program. Don't really care if we go through some growing pains, it's expected. Big 12 has definitely left us fans complacent. We're moving in the right direction.

Oh yeah, and we got Schmitty back! Culture is going to change real fast.
    Last edited by soonermike81; 12-08-2021 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Schmitty

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Leave LR's personal life out it as it isn't related to the program. I am more interested in the possible allegations that Manning was recruiting for USC at the same time he was on OU's payroll and the possible repercussions for that.

This, the player reported it, that Manning was dressed in OU red on his visit, but was pitching USC. After the report, Manning resigned immediately. Do you think LR knew this was going on ?

20. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    [/COLOR]

This, the player reported it, that Manning was dressed in OU red on his visit, but was pitching USC. After the report, Manning resigned immediately. Do you think LR knew this was going on ?
    Absolutely.

21. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Yep. He had to know. Possibly orchestrated it.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I loved Brent back then and wasn't one of the ones that wanted him gone. I didn't want Mike gone either. I didn't want Bob gone either. Yes, many OU fans were calling for Bob's head back then, only to worship him again when he retired. OU fans can be pretty spoiled and are fickle (me included). As for Riley, I was calling him out way before this season even started. For those that really watch the games, you saw the noticeable culture change of our team during his time. He may be a great offensive genius, but his mentality is soft and his players played that way. If you watched Coach Venables' presser, he said everything diehard OU fans wanted to hear in regards to his approach on coaching, recruiting, etc. We were definitely in a "crisis" last Sunday when Riley jet. But I feel 1000% better now about the future of our program. Don't really care if we go through some growing pains, it's expected. Big 12 has definitely left us fans complacent. We're moving in the right direction.

Oh yeah, and we got Schmitty back! Culture is going to change real fast.
    I agree about the team mentality. Playing Bookie week after week when the only significant thing you could count on from each game is an unsportsmanlike penalty at the most inopportune time. I'm tired of watching a team stacked with talent making stupid mistakes. This obviously wasn't Riley's dream job, and that's OK, but the team seemed checked out this year, and that's on the head coach. Yeah, they won 10 games, but they had to come from behind a lot, and almost lost to bad teams.

The timing was right for Venables, and he's clearly pumped about it. I, too, really enjoyed his speech and press conferences. You can just tell he's where he's supposed to be, back "home". I'm very happy, but I may have to write him an apology for all the bad things I said about him in his last years at OU.

Reports that the deal for Jeff Lebby at offensive coordinator is a done deal.

Lots of people think the combination of Venables and Lebby represents a significant coaching upgrade from Riley/Grinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Reports that the deal for Jeff Lebby at offensive coordinator is a done deal.

Lots of people think the combination of Venables and Lebby represents a significant coaching upgrade from Riley/Grinch.
    I think Venables is a significant upgrade over Grinch. Not so sure about Lebby being anywhere close to Riley, however. But then again, I haven't paid as much attention to his career since he left Baylor. Overall, I think it's a net positive with the overall changes.

I agree about the team mentality. Playing Bookie week after week when the only significant thing you could count on from each game is an unsportsmanlike penalty at the most inopportune time. I'm tired of watching a team stacked with talent making stupid mistakes. This obviously wasn't Riley's dream job, and that's OK, but the team seemed checked out this year, and that's on the head coach. Yeah, they won 10 games, but they had to come from behind a lot, and almost lost to bad teams.

The timing was right for Venables, and he's clearly pumped about it. I, too, really enjoyed his speech and press conferences. You can just tell he's where he's supposed to be, back "home". I'm very happy, but I may have to write him an apology for all the bad things I said about him in his last years at OU.
    You don't know what you got till it's gone, right?

And don't get me started on Bookie. Kid was a punk and was extremely overrated. Not sure what kept him on the field outside of his 5 stars and large social media following. SMH.

Thread Information