Widgets Magazine
Page 35 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by okcoolcoolcool View Post
    It's not lately. I only watched highlights last year and never felt good about him as our long-term QB. This year I've watched pretty much every snap, including the Nebraska game in person.

Against the Cornhuskers, there were wide open receivers all day that he didn't see or didn't have patience for them to run a route. He isn't mobile but he runs out of the pocket 2 seconds after the snap and basically eliminates half the field each play. He is not accurate at all. I don't think I've ever seen him hit a receiver in stride. People keep wanting to blame the run game and the O-Line for his struggles, but the entire offense ran like a dream once Caleb was in there. Every person in the world knows that this team looked completely different with Caleb Williams.
    Agree with your assessment. I think he starts for TCU and if the offense appears to run better overall he’ll be the starter the rest of the season. This was supposed to be a special year for OU but the offense has been anemic…until last Saturday. All of the teams goals remain intact in mid-October when was the last time you could say that?

I watched the game on the app twice yesterday and began to think that Caleb Williams was fortunate. He dropped 2 snaps and had a few running throws that did well. But I think the "chaos game" he played is good as a surprise attack, yet is able to be neutralized by a defense that is prepared for it.

3. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    All of the teams goals remain intact in mid-October when was the last time you could say that?
    2015, 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    2015, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
    You're right about 2019 in mid-October but OU was upset by K-State on Oct. 26 that year

2018 was the last time they lost to Texas in the RRS (4-0 since then including the Big 12 CCG that year). Lincoln Riley's only loss to Texas

2017 they lost to Iowa State at home on Oct. 7

2015 lost to Texas in the RRS (Charlie Strong's only win over OU)

5. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

OU's team goal is to make the CFB. They made it in all the years I cited. Thus their goal remained intact on those years.

OU's team goal is to make the CFB. They made it in all the years I cited. Thus their goal remained intact on those years.
    this 100%

True, however right now they control their destiny. In those years they needed help (and got it)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by okcoolcoolcool View Post
    It's not lately. I only watched highlights last year and never felt good about him as our long-term QB. This year I've watched pretty much every snap, including the Nebraska game in person.

Against the Cornhuskers, there were wide open receivers all day that he didn't see or didn't have patience for them to run a route. He isn't mobile but he runs out of the pocket 2 seconds after the snap and basically eliminates half the field each play. He is not accurate at all. I don't think I've ever seen him hit a receiver in stride. People keep wanting to blame the run game and the O-Line for his struggles, but the entire offense ran like a dream once Caleb was in there. Every person in the world knows that this team looked completely different with Caleb Williams.
    Caleb is the cool choice now and will be til Malachi arrives and Caleb has a bad game. Then Caleb will be the bum and Malachi the new savior. That’s just the way fans are,

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Caleb is the cool choice now and will be til Malachi arrives and Caleb has a bad game. Then Caleb will be the bum and Malachi the new savior. That’s just the way fans are,
    That sure wasn't the case when Baker lost to Iowa St. The fans were not clamoring to see Kyler, even though he was another 5-star player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonergolfer View Post
    That sure wasn't the case when Baker lost to Iowa St. The fans were not clamoring to see Kyler, even though he was another 5-star player.
    There were lots of Kyler proponents. They died down when Baker settled down and won the Heisman. Fans are always fickle.

You realize he’s not on campus until fall of 2023, right?

No large contingent of fans were clamoring for Kyler Murray to start when Baker had off days or for Mordecai to start over Murray. There was a contingent calling for rattler when hurts transferred in and didn’t play great for a few games.

Bottom line…get in and play well consistently and the majority will not want you replaced. Get it and play consistently average to good then turn in some clunkers and people will start asking about the backup. If CW has a great season and has a good 2022…no one will be asking for Nelson to start in 2023 because of a few bad games. If he doesn’t play well consistently or show improvement over the next few years, people will. Rattler had been average at best and frankly acted like he was above the program and better than the fans in several instances (making your own logo, wearing a diamond incrusted version of it to press conferences and then basically calling the fans stupid for being upset with how he was playing instead of just owning, etc) and even people on campus generally don’t like him. You could just feel a difference in how the players responded to CW and how CW treated his teammates. This was a referendum on personality and leadership ability as much or more than it was his ability as a QB. You think a true competitor and leader is going to take the Monday after getting benched off and not come to practice? Absolute not. This isn’t rocket science.

At any rate, Nelson is more of a pro style QB than a dull threat, similar to Rattler, so it will be interesting to see if he has some of the same issue in LR’s offense that rattler did when he eventually takes over in what I assume will likely be 2024 (depending on the O-Line of course).

As for Rattler, how he handles the rest of the season is going to show a lot about who he is to NFL scouts and/or coach for potential transfer destinations. This stuff has to be unbelievably tough for him after all the expectations…especially for a 21 year old guy. I hope he acts like a team player, settles in as the backup, plays out the rest of the season, steps in and performs well if needed (just like that 2 pt conversion play which was pretty damn impressive), then lands at a great spot for him to play another season then go pro.

12. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Uh, no.

There were lots of Kyler proponents. They died down when Baker settled down and won the Heisman. Fans are always fickle.
    Thats some serious revisionist history. I went to literally every home game and several away games (including all the marquee non-conference ones) while Baker and Kyler were both there. There was never much, if any, of a vocal contingent for Kyler to start and Baker never played bad enough consistently for one to develop. And baker didn’t “settle in and win the heisman.” He won the heisman at the end of this 3 years as a starter. Murray wasn’t even on campus until Bakers second season (2016) and wasn’t eligible to play until his heisman season in 2017. All baker did that year to “settle in” was stomp auburn in the sugar bowl then start the 2017 season by stomping UTEP and going into the shoe and beating Ohio st in game two. NO ONE, was ever seriously advocating for Kyler to start over baker. Would’ve been impossible in 2016 and the 2017 bowl game and sure as hell no one wanted that in 2017 when he was playing well enough to win the heisman from start to finish…Not to mention having the most efficient season as a QB in the history of the NCAA. The fans absolutely LOVED Baker Mayfield, in a way that I’ve never seen with another OU player, from the Tennessee game in 2015 on…no idea what team you were watching.

14. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by phialpha View Post
    thats some serious revisionist history. I went to literally every home game and several away games (including all the marquee non-conference ones) while baker and kyler were both there. There was never much, if any, of a vocal contingent for kyler to start and baker never played bad enough consistently for one to develop. And baker didn’t “settle in and win the heisman.” he won the heisman at the end of this 3 years as a starter. Murray wasn’t even on campus until bakers second season (2016) and wasn’t eligible to play until his heisman season in 2017. All baker did that year to “settle in” was stomp auburn in the sugar bowl then start the 2017 season by stomping utep and going into the shoe and beating ohio st in game two. No one, was ever seriously advocating for kyler to start over baker. Would’ve been impossible in 2016 and the 2017 bowl game and sure as hell no one wanted that in 2017 when he was playing well enough to win the heisman from start to finish…not to mention having the most efficient season as a qb in the history of the ncaa. The fans absolutely loved baker mayfield, in a way that i’ve never seen with another ou player, from the tennessee game in 2015 on…no idea what team you were watching.
    this^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Thats some serious revisionist history. I went to literally every home game and several away games (including all the marquee non-conference ones) while Baker and Kyler were both there. There was never much, if any, of a vocal contingent for Kyler to start and Baker never played bad enough consistently for one to develop. And baker didn’t “settle in and win the heisman.” He won the heisman at the end of this 3 years as a starter. Murray wasn’t even on campus until Bakers second season (2016) and wasn’t eligible to play until his heisman season in 2017. All baker did that year to “settle in” was stomp auburn in the sugar bowl then start the 2017 season by stomping UTEP and going into the shoe and beating Ohio st in game two. NO ONE, was ever seriously advocating for Kyler to start over baker. Would’ve been impossible in 2016 and the 2017 bowl game and sure as hell no one wanted that in 2017 when he was playing well enough to win the heisman from start to finish…Not to mention having the most efficient season as a QB in the history of the NCAA. The fans absolutely LOVED Baker Mayfield, in a way that I’ve never seen with another OU player, from the Tennessee game in 2015 on…no idea what team you were watching.
    Lol. There were always Baker detractors. Talk about revisionism. Guessing you didn’t read many boards. But you re right, no booing.

Lol. There were always Baker detractors. Talk about revisionism. Guessing you didn’t read many boards. But you re right, no booing.
    Uh, no.

not for his play on the field ..

Yeah… Caleb is pretty special. What a crazy turnaround from a few weeks ago.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Oklahoma Sooners 52 - TCU Horned Frogs 31

Gamecast: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId=401287923

Lol. There were always Baker detractors. Talk about revisionism. Guessing you didnÂ’t read many boards. But you re right, no booing.
    Lol message boards. The same ones that wanted to fire Bob Stoops every year since 2003? No real person wanted to bench Baker or Kyler. There were frustrations when we lost, but I think most people acknowledged that they were just having average games and weren't able to bail out our horrific defenses.

I agree with you that there were calls for Rattler over Hurts because our offense was super one dimensional that season. Hurts enhanced our run game but couldn't really capitalize on the play action as he wasn't as accurate as Kyler or Baker. Also he kept talking down to Big 12 defenses even though he struggled to throw against them, so ya some people were interested in seeing what Rattler could do.

Unfortunately, Rattler is bad at everything that we need in a QB. He needs to transfer and go somewhere he can make people forget his last 18 months of lowlight play.

21. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

^
    No way I'm going to be that hard on Rattler. But this is a completely different team with Williams at QB. Williams is constantly going up and down the sidelines slapping backs, etc. Maybe they just never showed it but I never saw Rattler doing that. And that kind of leadership makes a big difference in team morale.

I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on what went wrong with Rattler? I never had high expectations for him (because I didn’t study him at all, not because I saw something that concerned me) but I did hear a lot of talk about his potential, so I kind of went in just expecting him to be really good given the hype surrounding him. I never really expected him to be Baker or Kyler but I didn’t expect him to be much worse either.

23. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on what went wrong with Rattler? I never had high expectations for him (because I didn’t study him at all, not because I saw something that concerned me) but I did hear a lot of talk about his potential, so I kind of went in just expecting him to be really good given the hype surrounding him. I never really expected him to be Baker or Kyler but I didn’t expect him to be much worse either.
    Just totally an opinion based on observation. I think he's one of those guys that high expectations and constantly being praised for how great he was going to be went to his head. Most of my thinking is based on two things. One, as I posted earlier I never saw Rattler pumping up his fellow players. Two, the total change in the energy of the entire team tells me they think much more of Williams than they do Rattler.

24. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

NIL. Cash, cars, bling, babes. Got to the penthouse without earning it. College coaches will start pumping the breaks when they recruit players with so much hype. Look at the difference in the way Rattler and Williams carry themselves on the field. It's called CHARACTER.

You can watch the OU-Florida game highlights on Youtube. He looked like a totally different player than he did this year. In addition to a much better passer, he seemed much more mobile.

Thread Information