Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
    London would be amazing. Given our Vietnamese population, would a OKC to Saigon or Hanoi weekly flight ever be on the table?

The obvious international flights to start when the new terminal opens would be Mexico City, Cancun, maybe even Guatemala City.
    Are you serious? OKC to Vietnam nonstop! Wow. I mean sure, LAX doesn't even have nonstops to SGN but why not OKC!

Lets get year round non stop service to new york before we consider london and saigon.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Well, it is also the Tulsa curse. Not many peer cities have a Tulsa 1.5 hours away (Omaha has no other major cities anywhere near it in Nebraska, for example). Tulsa has 3 million passengers. If those were solely dependent on an OKC flight, then the passenger #s would look far more favorable for OKC.
    It probably hurts both airports. Several of my Tulsa friends drive down and fly out of WRWA regularly.

4. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Are you serious? OKC to Vietnam nonstop! Wow. I mean sure, LAX doesn't even have nonstops to SGN but why not OKC!
    Sorry I asked a speculative question on the internet...

Effective March

AA upgauges OKC-LAX to mainline, the morning flight will remain an E175 with the afternoon departure becoming an A319.

Effective April
    UA increases OKC-DEN to 6 daily. This was ran 6 daily for the summer season this year (2019), so this is an earlier start.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Effective March

AA upgauges OKC-LAX to mainline, the morning flight will remain an E175 with the afternoon departure becoming an A319.

Effective April
    UA increases OKC-DEN to 6 daily. This was ran 6 daily for the summer season this year (2019), so this is an earlier start.
    Nice.

Catch - is there any chance of United making OKC-EWR year round? Or is the demand not there?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Nice.

Catch - is there any chance of United making OKC-EWR year round? Or is the demand not there?
    I'm not sure why we stopped operating it year round. At Continental we ran it year round and twice daily in some instances. I know we trim EWR back in the winter a tad on reduced transatlantic demand as well as to run a thinner schedule into deicing season. Could be related.

8. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

awesome news on the additional flight to IAD on UA and the up-gauging of one of the LAX flights on AA. SEA up-gauging to mainline on Alaska announced recently, ORD as well on UA. OKC-MIA, NAS starting very soon...

I want to see at least one mainline to every city served from OKC in addition to the this-or-that regionals for frequency purposes. I'd like to see OKC work on the NYC market at LGD and JFK, perhaps they will work better than EWR. I'd also like to BOS and beefing up at SFO (united) as the next targets.

OKC is maturing as a market and looks like we're shooting for 5M or more pax for 2020!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Not sure that 5M is in the cards, 4.5 million would be the upper end of what we could realistically probably see next year. That would be a 10% growth which is hard to get to, especially with signs of a slowing economy and energy traffic being affected by the shaky local energy sector.

There will be roughly 5 million seats for sale* next year in and out of OKC, and at 85% load factor that's 4.4 million.

*The full year is not for sale, and many markets will have adjustments. I am taking a few assumptions of past service levels to arrive at 5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    NAS starting very soon...
    NAS as in Nassau, Bahamas? Did I miss this announcement?

HangryHippo Guest

I think he meant Nashville going daily soon...

Effective March

Effective April
    Ugh. While that's a nice upgauge in theory, the passenger experience on AA's 319 is atrocious compared to the E75. Plus only 8 F seats so upgrades will actually be harder than on the E75. It's great that LAX is doing this well for AA, but I'd rather have a 3 daily E75 flights than this.

Lets get year round non stop service to new york before we consider london and saigon.
    Seriously. We don't even have nonstops to Miami (yet). Not sure how London or Vietnam will ever be realistic.

HangryHippo Guest

Seriously. We don't even have nonstops to Miami (yet). Not sure how London or Vietnam will ever be realistic.
    Doesn’t AA start Miami this month?

15. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Effective March

Effective April
    catch, curious about your thoughts on AA thinking here. Or really anyone who might have insight into AA's thinking. Hasn't AA briefly had mainline to CLT and PHX at times in the last year or so? But right now the only mainline they have is DFW. I'm not complaining, as most AA RJs are a great or good experience since we have a number of E175s and CRJ7s. But I guess I'm surprised they are starting mainline to LAX rather than returning it to CLT or PHX.

Of course, AA has so many flights a day right now, and so few gates, at some point the only answer as they keep growing in OKC is to increase the plane size rather than frequency. I don't know if they're getting to that point or not.

I also wonder if this is a mainline addition that could get pulled as its dependent upon the reintroduction of the 737-MAX elsewhere in the network?

I think it is in response to WN's addition of a 3rd frequency to PHX (as a result of the pulling out of OKC-DAL) market. This gives them more capacity to the west coast without over-saturating the smaller PHX market.

You are right, it is hard to tell what capacity additions will stick at AA. One thing that is slightly different in this case is that they built this into the "base" schedule. If you look at Oct 8, which is the furthest ahead you can book on AA this change remains in place. Usually when they are testing something out, they will only load it for the active schedule window which is typically 2-3 months out + a 3 month booking window (i.e. effective in Feb and for sale until May). When we had mainline to PHX, they loaded it from January to June and I believe it went away after that.

Should get October numbers any day now, curious how it turned out.

18. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I think it is in response to WN's addition of a 3rd frequency to PHX (as a result of the pulling out of OKC-DAL) market. This gives them more capacity to the west coast without over-saturating the smaller PHX market.

You are right, it is hard to tell what capacity additions will stick at AA. One thing that is slightly different in this case is that they built this into the "base" schedule. If you look at Oct 8, which is the furthest ahead you can book on AA this change remains in place. Usually when they are testing something out, they will only load it for the active schedule window which is typically 2-3 months out + a 3 month booking window (i.e. effective in Feb and for sale until May). When we had mainline to PHX, they loaded it from January to June and I believe it went away after that.
    Interesting. I can see that. I guess they don't want to oversaturate PHX. Also, I guess they've added eastbound frequencies in the last year (DCA, MIA) so CLT is less ideal.

19. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Effective February 9

Southwest reduces OKC-BWI to Sunday only service. February only.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    That's cool. Very interested to see how that configuration does especially out of markets like OKC. If anyone can share pictures that would be great!

22. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

That's cool. Very interested to see how that configuration does especially out of markets like OKC. If anyone can share pictures that would be great!
    I'll make sure to take a few for everyone.

I guess nobody flew in October, reports are late this month lol

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I guess nobody flew in October, reports are late this month lol
    Haha!

We are lucky that we typically get them 10-15 days after the close of the month. Many airports don't release data until 45-60 days out.

Haha!

We are lucky that we typically get them 10-15 days after the close of the month. Many airports don't release data until 45-60 days out.
    Oh yeah they’re awesome. I’m not complaining in the slightest.

Thread Information