Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Santos Mexican Kitchen (formerly Chico Blanco)

Bricktown3 Santos Mexican Kitchen (formerly Chico Blanco)

Photo is my own from several months back but this would be the corner space west of Liberty and above Tipsy Tiki with the "Now Leasing" sign. Great spot and I hope this is a hit.

Press release:

Upscale Mexican Restaurant and Lounge Coming to
    Bricktown’s Historic Jim Brewer Building

San Marcos expands OKC restaurant portfolio with new modern concept

OKLAHOMA CITY (Oct. 21, 2019) -- Brewer Entertainment announced today that it will introduce a new restaurant to the Jim Brewer Building in Bricktown next year. San Marcos Mexican Restaurant & Lounge will take over the 7,500-square-foot space directly above Tipsy Tiki bar on the Bricktown Canal, located at 103 E. California Ave.

San Marcos Mexican Restaurant & Lounge will be owned and operated by Oklahoma City hospitality veterans Jeff Rogers and Erik Deloera. The new concept will be San Marcos’s sixth location to open in the Oklahoma City metro.

“The menu will celebrate a myriad of Mexican favorites, with modern twists on San Marcos’s traditional food and beverage offerings,” said Deloera. “The space will also be completely reimagined with an upscale latin lounge vibe...a place you’ll want to stay long after you finish your meal.”

Rogers, who was recently appointed to the Bricktown Board of Directors, has a portfolio that includes a mix of eight nightclubs, bars and restaurants in Bricktown, his home base since 1999.

“I am eager to team up with a like-minded business owner like Erik Deloera to bring authentic Mexican cuisine back to my stomping grounds in Bricktown,” said Rogers. “With Erik’s success in traditional Mexican cuisine and my expertise in nightlife, we have a very thrilling concept up our sleeves,” he added.

Before the late Jim Brewer began developing Oklahoma City’s original entertainment district over 30 years ago, the brick warehouse was called the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Building and was later home to the Bricktown Haunted Warehouse for 27 years. In 2011, Brewer’s sons, Brent and Brett, rechristened it the Jim Brewer Building — to honor the memory and legacy of their father.

“Our dad was known as the Mayor of Bricktown, and his fondness for a good time was legendary,” said Brent Brewer. “He would have really loved this modern take on his favorite Mexican dishes.”

Construction is set to begin next month, with opening expected Spring 2020.

Default Re: San Marcos Bricktown

Out with Chelinos, in with San Marcos a couple of doors down.

I hope they do well there, have long been a fan of San Marcos particularly the 39th and May location for years. Their salsa especial was second to none. That being said there are some inconsistencies from location to location but hope they can make it work there!

They have a strong social media marketing presence. I suspect they will do really well.

Are all those other places run by Jeff Rogers kinda sleazy? I’ve never been to any of them but the marketing implies it to me at least.

I

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    I hope they do well there, have long been a fan of San Marcos particularly the 39th and May location for years. Their salsa especial was second to none. That being said there are some inconsistencies from location to location but hope they can make it work there!
    I stopped into the NW 122nd & Rockwell San Marcos last week, for the first time in over ten years, and it was very disappointing. The regular salsa was watery and had no flavor, the queso was worse and my enchiladas were about on par with one of those old all-you-can eat Mexican places.

I guess I've gotten spoiled by eating at Teds and Alfredos.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I stopped into the NW 122nd & Rockwell San Marcos last week, for the first time in over ten years, and it was very disappointing. The regular salsa was watery and had no flavor, the queso was worse and my enchiladas were about on par with one of those old all-you-can eat Mexican places.

I guess I've gotten spoiled by eating at Teds and Alfredos.
    We've had a couple of similar experiences at that location in the last year also- we moved last year and this one is fairly close so we've given it a couple shots. I did see a longtime server at the one on May was managing though and was good to see and say hello to him. Service was good but food was unfortunately pretty mediocre.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    We've had a couple of similar experiences at that location in the last year also- we moved last year and this one is fairly close so we've given it a couple shots. I did see a longtime server at the one on May was managing though and was good to see and say hello to him. Service was good but food was unfortunately pretty mediocre.
    Yes, they seem to be living off previous reputation. Last two visits have been disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Yes, they seem to be living off previous reputation. Last two visits have been disappointing.
    This San Marco's is owned by the same owner as the original on 59th as well as the 39th & MacArthur location. Each location is owned by different members of the family and each have a little spin on the recipes. This one will also be a lounge and a place to hang out. If you have ever been to the one on 39th & MacArthur then you know it's a great place and it's a party. Cant wait for this location to open I bet it will blow everyone's mind.....

Never have understood the draw of San Marcos.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Never have understood the draw of San Marcos.
    +1 The three locations I've been to, the food has been bland. (122nd/Rockwell, MacArthur/40th and I believe there was a location off May?)

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    +1 The three locations I've been to, the food has been bland. (122nd/Rockwell, MacArthur/40th and I believe there was a location off May?)
    There was one on NW 42nd/May, average to below-average in our opinion, but it was replaced by Azteca, which we have pretty much the same opinion of, except for their chicken fajita meat, which is halfway decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason1800 View Post
    This San Marco's is owned by the same owner as the original on 59th as well as the 39th & MacArthur location. Each location is owned by different members of the family and each have a little spin on the recipes. This one will also be a lounge and a place to hang out. If you have ever been to the one on 39th & MacArthur then you know it's a great place and it's a party. Cant wait for this location to open I bet it will blow everyone's mind.....
    Yep, this will be quite different than the other locations and have a strong focus on the bar, which is a great fit for this location.

Really looking forward to it.

Everybody keeps commenting on the food but I'd say that's a secondary focus of San Marcos. The biggest focus has always been on their exuberant drinks, which is perfect for bricktown.

I go to the one on 59th pretty regularly. The food there is great.

16. Default Re: San Marcos Bricktown

*yawn* how about something a little different like Korean Bibimbap? or Din Tai Fung restaurant, soooo delicious! Nope, another sub par Mexican joint.

17. Default Re: San Marcos Bricktown

would be nice to see some culinary diversity in Bricktown and the rest of Downtown OKC.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    *yawn* how about something a little different like Korean Bibimbap? or Din Tai Fung restaurant, soooo delicious! Nope, another sub par Mexican joint.
    Sounds like a great project for you to work on. When are you planning on opening your restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Then get on it! Be the change you want to see!

Blog Entries

I'm just glad this long empty (since Peach Wave), canal-front space will be occupied.

For the record, there have been 4 places added in the core where you can get bibimbap just this last year: Magasin Table, Sura Eats at Parlor, Riviere and Gogi Go. Plus Taste of Korean went in a couple of years ago in Film Row.

Tons more Asian options (Yuzo, Ur/bun, Goro, Gun, Tamashii, Sushi Bar --on the canal, etc.)

Yes, there are a lot Mexican, burger and pizza places but there is a lot of everything. And most places have their own slant, as this one will have a heavy bar focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    For the record, there have been 4 places added in the core where you can get bibimbap just this last year: Magasin Table, Sura Eats at Parlor, Riviere and Gogi Go. Plus Taste of Korean went in a couple of years ago in Film Row.

Tons more Asian options (Yuzo, Ur/bun, Goro, Gun, Tamashii, Sushi Bar --on the canal, etc.)

Yes, there are a lot Mexican, burger and pizza places but there is a lot of everything. And most places have their own slant, as this one will have a heavy bar focus.
    Yes. Gogi Go is one of my favorite places in Midtown! Riviere is also very good. Their wok fried green beans are addicting! It is great that this San Marcos will have a bar focus, since that location is perfect for a good bar, and if they do it right, it will make a killing.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    would be nice to see some culinary diversity in Bricktown and the rest of Downtown OKC.
    Doubt that's even going to happen with rent in Bricktown being so high. You see the same problem on Campus Corner in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It’s been several months since I’ve been to magasin table. When did they start serving bibimbap? Seems like it’d be a weird addition to their current menu.

They don't. Some elements of their rice dishes are in bibimbap, but they are not advertised as bibimbap.

Thread Information