Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipley Do-Nuts

Default Re: Shipley Do-Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I'll throw in my usual shout out of bethany donuts on rockwell and 39th.
    Gotta give this a try.

Still a big fan of Polar Donuts on 10th and Meridian.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Gotta give this a try.
    Keep me posted. They're lighter and crispier than most.

Keep me posted. They're lighter and crispier than most.
    Well, looks like I'm gonna have to make my way over to this place. That's the perfect donut. Has a nice bite to it, but light and airy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Well, looks like I'm gonna have to make my way over to this place. That's the perfect donut. Has a nice bite to it, but light and airy as well.
    Does Polar fit this description as well?

Does Polar fit this description as well?
    I didn't think so when I had them recently. Felt their donut was actually a little heavier than what I prefer. Heard in the past that they use potato flakes in there dough, so not sure if that is what makes them dense

I've been to Shipley's in Houston and San Antonio, and absolutely loved them. There is a bit of similarity to Krispy Kreme in how they make them behind a glass while you watch. They are very good and I am very excited about having them here.

This is huge news. Shipley's is a Texas institution!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    2,200 SF so pretty big for a donut place.
    Looks like it is about 875 sf for Dining, 200 sf for restrooms, 225 sf for storage and the remaining is kitchen space.

First introduced to Shipleys in H-town and fell in love with their kolaches. Truly one of a kind. This is huge, not sure we have anything here on this level that I have come across. Honestly surprised it took this long. This place will do damage in midtown, downtown, bricktown, deep deuce and all across the urban core. Can't wait to get my hands on a ham and cheese and jalapeño sausage and cheese kolache. Their donuts are good too.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I didn't think so when I had them recently. Felt their donut was actually a little heavier than what I prefer. Heard in the past that they use potato flakes in there dough, so not sure if that is what makes them dense
    This reminded me of the SpudNut place that was located downtown back in the mid-50s when I worked at 4th and Broadway. Their flour was totally potato-based rather than wheat, and it made a wonderful donut. Hadn't thought of them for more than half a century! They didn't survive the mass exodus of business from the CBD that eventually led to Urban Renewal, though.

Saw this and did a happy dance! I grew up with Shipley's...haven't found anything up here that comes close. Route 66 Donuts is pretty good (I like their whole wheat donut), and Twist on the south side is ok, but they aren't Shipley's! Glad it's not being built right by my house or I'd probably be in there too often.

And Jim Kyle, there is a Spudnuts Donut Shop in Stillwater. At least there was one a few years ago when I took my mom up there; not sure if it's still there or not.

Their 2nd location will be at NW 164th & Penn.

Allegedly the owner was attempting to fill something other than doughnuts
    https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...d-12726863.php

Opens today. Check their Facebook page for hours of operation.

Was driving on NW Expressway today and saw a coming soon sign in front of the old Sonic.
    I for one am surprised and happy, because I've been meaning to check out the Midwest City location, but it was a bit too far honestly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181101_130735~2.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	14988

What part of NW Expressway is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    What part of NW Expressway is that?
    It's in Warr Acres, on the south side of NWEX and east of MacArthur.

Northwest OKC Shipley's Donuts & Kolaches

What had been the Sonic on NW Hiway between Meridian and MacArthur will be a Shipley's Donuts. The building is still under remodeling, no opening date yet.

Default Re: Shipley's Donuts & Kolaches

Quote Originally Posted by billokc View Post
    What had been the Sonic on NW Hiway between Meridian and MacArthur will be a Shipley's Donuts. The building is still under remodeling, no opening date yet.
    Yes! Been waiting for one to pop up somewhere close (we're at 36th/May, so not really close, but closer than MWC's is), thanks for the info...

Default Re: Shipley's Donuts & Kolaches

I saw that today. Interesting.

I hope they’re better than the one we visited last week in Houston. We stopped by on Saturday morning and the donuts were horrible. We threw them anyway. I’ve never seen my husband throw away donuts before!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Their 2nd location will be at NW 164th & Penn.
    Is this proposed location still a go? I noticed the location on NW Expressway already has a sign up.

New OKC location on NW Expressway is finally open.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    New OKC location on NW Expressway is finally open.
    Stopped by, more out of nostalgia, as we used to go to the Shipley's in Plano for years.

Still quite good, but there are other donut shops in OKC just as good these days, and probably won't be compelled to go out of my way to come by again. Glad they are here, though.

Thread Information