Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas 4 MAPS

Default Re: Ideas 4 MAPS

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Oh boy..

“If soccer is not included in MAPS 4 at all, I think people ought to know… The Energy won’t be here forever,” says Mayor David Holt.
    Sounds like an endorsement of the boy who threatens to take his ball and go gome.

"We really want your input but let me completely sway you by lobbying for certain things the same week this survey was announced."

If we are taking about a 10mil or less usl stadium. The. Sure let’s add it in. If we are taking about 100+ mil. Then Hell no

The city might as well release the rest of their Maps 4 items and end the charade that citizens have any real input.

I'm "pro stadium" as just about anyone, but threatening that our minor league soccer team will leave if we don't publicly fund a stadium is pure foolishness.

Papa Murphy's Park, Sacramento's USL home, was built for around 3 mil and its capacity is around 11,000. Is there no way to privately fund all if not most of a 7,000 capacity stadium of a similar build? (I don't think the Energy demand a stadium for over 10,000) I know it's a so called "pop-up stadium" but how nice of a stadium does a minor league soccer team need? 5 million seems like it would build a decent stadium.

Blog Entries

A new arena has been brought up on this forum before. The Peake will be 25 years old come 2027. As our corporate base grows; we will need more amenities in excess of the current 48 - 52 suites; most NBA-NHL arenas have 70 or more suites. The Peake's premium seating can't be expanded. These are the amenities necessary to sustain a franchise long term.

Are our plans for a 5, 10 or 15 year mega master plan MAPS extension beyond 2030? If so, let's put a new NBA arena on the ballot; let it be the last project to be built.

We also need a stadium: let's plan to build a stater venue (12-15K) which could be used for future expansion capable of being re-purposed.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    The *city might as well release the rest of their Maps 4 items and end the charade that citizens have any real input.
    *chamber

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    The city might as well release the rest of their Maps 4 items and end the charade that citizens have any real input.
    Agreed. Holt pushing an undesired soccer stadium certainly gives me the sense that the "survey" is mostly bull****.

Blog Entries

Everybody is going to be lobbying like crazy. If they advocate too hard for unwanted items then they will doom the proposition. Before everyone gets their panties in a wad, we need to get all ideas on the table and through all means .... including this and other media... educate and inform. Then we do what a democracy does... express the will of the voters (notice, I didn't say "the public or citizens, but 'VOTERS") If we don't like what the mayor is suggesting and don't believe it is a good use of our dollars, then go vote against it. To say the chamber won't or shouldn't advocate is naive. But others are able to advocate, as well. In the end, we will not have perfect consensus anyway, so some of us will always be disappointed and maybe disillusioned.

Dont really want a stadium unless it is certain we would get a MLS team.
    Not sure if the Energy ownership group has the money to buy a team and move it here or pay the expansion fee.

If MAPS 4 is made primarily about a soccer stadium, I'm voting against it.

How about some heavy investment in our community colleges and vo-techs so that OKC can offer a more skilled/trainable workforce?

I will not support a publicly funded soccer stadium. There are instances where teams have funded their own and are doing just fine.

When is this even going to vote?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    If MAPS 4 is made primarily about a soccer stadium, I'm voting against it.
    Agreed. And I believe a lot of people will feel the same way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    When is this even going to vote?
    It has to be voted on in 2019 in order to take effect in 2020 when the current extension ends.

17. Default Re: Ideas 4 MAPS

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Agreed. Holt pushing an undesired soccer stadium certainly gives me the sense that the "survey" is mostly bull****.
    Like all other US cities, OKC has a significant hispanic and Asian population. Do you know with certainty THEY don't want a nice soccer stadium? They can have multiple uses, not just soccer.

community wi-fi , subsidize local ownership of radio/tv

can't wait till the Chamber-bots™ start chiming in! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44143066_10156842291393615_7525299889668882432_o.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	14960

Blog Entries

Energy FC Re: Ideas 4 MAPS

We will lose the Energy FC; the ownership has a lot invested in the franchise and the training facilities with a partnership with the Oklahoma City-County Health Department and Blue Cross-Blue Shield of Oklahoma at 2810 NE 63rd..

USL have given ALL USL franchises until 2020 to get some kind of solid plans submitted for a soccer specific stadium which also can be used for American football. USL will extend OKC more time with plans submitted; the city's help will seal a deal--Tulsa is in the same boat.

Express Sports goal is to bring MLS to OKC, we're talking about the next 5 to 7 years. MLS will not grant them a franchise until they've demonstrated a facility is forth-coming. Taft Stadium is an excellent stadium for high school football; it doesn't meet USSF requirements; that's why we couldn't host Dallas FC last season in the U.S. Open Cup.

We hear those of you who don't think cities should be subsidizing pro sports. Think of where OKC would be without the notoriety our NBA Thunder has elevated our city.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    We hear those of you who don't think cities should be subsidizing pro sports. Think of where OKC would be without the notoriety our NBA Thunder has elevated our city.
    there is a huge difference between national exposure of the NBA vs national exposure of MLS... we aren't talking about two sports that are even in the same league when it comes to ratings and money. i know more people in oklahoma that watch premier league than MLS... in fact, all of my soccer friends have teams in premier league that they have jerseys for... but i have never seen any of them even talk about MLS, except for maybe about a player and how he is doing.

if Prodigal wants to build this following an get an MLS team, then they can do so with a majority of their funds... i would be okay with the city given some incentives, etc to getting one built... but a city owned facility (even that could host football and concerts, etc) would be cool... but doesn't make my top 250 list of things that okc needs immediately.

Granted I'm not a soccer fan, so I hope this doesn't come off as overly negative, but I tend to agree with jedicurt. The few people, and I'm talking few that care at all about soccer don't watch the MLS. As far as most Okies are concerned it's below NHL, and a pretty far drop. So when you say you want me the tax-payer to fund a stadium for a league that's even less than that, I just can't even begin to wrap my head around it. Truthfully I never thought the Energy would last, because in my head the newness would wear off and there just wouldn't be as much support as there is for the NBA or college football. I fully anticipate that if they don't con us into a stadium that the team is gone, and honestly, I'll never think about them again, that is until the Funks try to bring in another team. I'd rather focus on keeping the Thunder here, making sure they have top of the line facilities, because the Thunder have done more for this city, than any and all other minor league teams combined. Outside of Oklahoma the perception of our state from most people was based on Indians, the bombing, or Sooner football. The Thunder have changed that. I wear an OKC Thunder shirt in DC and I got more comments or people talking to me than even an OU shirt. I'm sorry but the Energy will never have that impact.

So while I don't necessarily want to see the team leave, at the end of the day, it's just not that big of a deal if that's what happens.

Keep in mind we are a very long way from getting an MLS franchise and I seriously doubt that will be secured by the time there is a MAPS 4 vote -- if ever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    How about some heavy investment in our community colleges and vo-techs so that OKC can offer a more skilled/trainable workforce?
    Free community college? That might be appealing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    there is a huge difference between national exposure of the NBA vs national exposure of MLS... we aren't talking about two sports that are even in the same league when it comes to ratings and money. i know more people in oklahoma that watch premier league than MLS... in fact, all of my soccer friends have teams in premier league that they have jerseys for... but i have never seen any of them even talk about MLS, except for maybe about a player and how he is doing.

if Prodigal wants to build this following an get an MLS team, then they can do so with a majority of their funds... i would be okay with the city given some incentives, etc to getting one built... but a city owned facility (even that could host football and concerts, etc) would be cool... but doesn't make my top 250 list of things that okc needs immediately.
    MAPS 4 will not address all of OKC's needs & wants.

Vision the future--immediate needs & wants will never be achieved. The whole MAPS 4 ideas which will come up for a vote in early 2019 is about gathering information for future plans. Facilities voted upon won't be built until the money is collected--that too will take time.

Next to the NBA Thunder, what other professional sport does OKC possess that gives us the exposure MLS would give. MLS is televised on ESPN with frequency. National TV exposure is free advertisement/promotion for our city. WCWS on ESPN shed light on our city. The damage to our region by Steinbeck's 'Grapes of Wrath' still haunts Oklahoma.

Mayor Holt wants ideas; the more ideas, the more quality and added quantity our city enjoys--expanded offerings. Corporations want to expand into cities that offer its employees a diverse quality of life. We're not going to build everything over night, nor will MAPS 4 address all our needs/wants--you balance a mixture of both. Help or incentives with Energy FC will keep the team in OKC.

Now, I understand that many of the ideas won't be anything that everybody will be on board with; however the more you infuse into your economy, the more jobs created and OKC doesn't become stagnant. OKC's future potential depends on the momentum we go forward with MAPS 4, 5, 6.... We aren't sure about the timeline, costs or what will be presented before the voters; we're in the stage of gathering ideas.

It's nothing any of us should take personal, it's not about any one individual; collectively we move our city forward.

Thread Information