County Assessor Record
Gallery

CuatrodeMayo
05-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Fri May 11, 2007
OU adding women's rowing

By John Helsley
Staff Writer

NORMAN — The University of Oklahoma is getting in the boat business.

Competitive boating.

Culminating a quest to add another women's sport, OU on Thursday revealed plans to form a women's rowing team, possibly competing as soon as the 2008-09 school year.

School officials considered several women's sports, deciding on rowing in part because of the emergence of the Oklahoma River project, which provides a home for the newest Sooners squad.

"We spent a considerable amount of time, involved a lot of people in evaluating the various sports we could sponsor,” said OU athletic director Joe Castiglione. "This one made the most sense.

"With the development of Bricktown, and of course, the Oklahoma River, it just made all the sense in the world to have a sport that can have a good presence in this area.”

Adding impetus to the move were Oklahoma City businessmen Clay Bennett and Aubrey McClendon, who worked with OU and the Riverfront Redevelopment Authority in adding the sport. Both were also involved in private fund-raising for a new boathouse to be built on the banks of the Oklahoma River.

McClendon made a lead gift of $1 million toward the project, and a group of private donors led by Bennett will provide another $1 million. A matching $2 million in OU athletics department bonds will be used in completing what will be a $4 million facility.

"Clay and I are very pleased to help encourage further boathouse development along the Oklahoma River,” McClendon said in a statement. "Women's rowing is becoming an important intercollegiate sport throughout the country, and now our city will be part of that experience.”

Said Castiglione: "We're very thankful that two people stepped forward to create some momentum.”

Castiglione said that OU has been considering adding a women's sport for "several years.”

While the university has been fully Title IX compliant, Castiglione said this presents an opportunity for OU to enhance the school's own gender equity plan.

Eventually, the addition of rowing will result in the addition of 20 women's scholarships. And because the sport is what is termed an equivalency sport — meaning scholarships can be split — the roster size is expected to be considerably larger.

In the Big 12, Texas, Kansas and Kansas State sponsor women's rowing, making for natural and geographical rivals.

Castiglione said that the locale, along with the facility, could make Oklahoma City a popular destination.

"It's going to create a lot of interest around the country,” Castiglione said. "It allows teams from the west or the east to come and meet each other, without having to go from one coast to the other, although they may still.”

Castiglione said the next step is hiring a coach, then putting in place a plan to compete.

"It will be something to see the Sooner flag flying prominently over the Oklahoma River,” said OU president David Boren.

jbrown84
05-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Would the team want to drive all the way down to OKC to practice every day?

Pete
05-11-2007, 11:05 AM
It's less than 20 miles from the OU campus to the OK River.

I suspect the team won't row every day and will have rowing machines and other equipment to help them train on campus.

BTW, to put the $4 million for the boathouse in perspective, that's more than was spent on the one sponsored by Chesapeake. So even allowing for inflation, this should be an impressive structure and an important addition to the river.

oumoodman85
05-11-2007, 12:00 PM
OU already has "club" crew, and has had a rowing team for at least the past 2 years that I know of.

And yes, they already commute from Norman and meet on the river most days at 5am or so for practice. I hear its really intense, but the people I know who participate love it!

jbrown84
05-11-2007, 12:12 PM
It's less than 20 miles from the OU campus to the OK River.

Sorry, I was referring to Cuatro's suggestion of an OSU boathouse.

CuatrodeMayo
05-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Incidently, I just received a copy of Architectural Record (THE national publication for architecture) just 5 minutes ago and there is a 6 page article on Rand's Chesapeake boathouse.
Rand Elliott adds a delicate shell to the banks of a reinvented river for the new Chesapeake boathouse in a renewed downtown Oklahoma City - Architectural Record Projects (http://archrecord.construction.com/projects/portfolio/archives/0705Boathouse.asp)

Pete
05-11-2007, 01:31 PM
I love Architectural Record and used to subscribe to it, even though I'm not anything close to an architect. :)

I had posted this in another thread but there was a great article on Rand and the boathouse recently in Metropolis Mag:

Native Son (http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=2418)

CuatrodeMayo
05-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Yea...I read that article. I'm a subscriber to Metropolis as well as a big fan of the mag. I do like Archrecord, but I like Metropolis' comprehensive coverage of not just architecture, but design of all kinds.

It's just awesome to see Oklahoma City and an Oklahoma native's fabulous design published in an article that is read by folks worldwide. Don't look know, but OKC is movin' up!

BTW...If any of you all happen to be good friends with Rand, I'll be looking for a job this time next year :)

venture
05-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Eh forget Bedlam Rowing...

Bedlam Battleship. :) Much more entertaining.

Doug Loudenback
05-12-2007, 08:26 AM
This is great news ... and, yes, Bedlam Battleship does sound engaging, venture79! :)

BG918
05-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Isn't OCU building a new boathouse as well? So there could potentially be three boathouses along the river: the Chesapeake, OCU, and OU? That sounds pretty cool. And OSU is probably too far from OKC to have a boathouse, they might actually be closer to the Arkansas in Tulsa where TU has their rowing team.

TStheThird
05-13-2007, 10:13 AM
I believe that OSU has a club crew team... at least they did my feshman year in 2001. They practice at Lake Carl Blackwell, but if all of the big rowing comps are on the Oklahoma River, I could see them building a boathouse there if they ever create an NCAA team.

jbrown84
05-14-2007, 07:59 AM
That sure would be a long drive to practice.

metro
05-14-2007, 09:26 AM
I hope the OU and OCU Boathouses get built next to the Chesapeake boathouse. We could create a "Boathouse Row" just like they do on the east coast in Philly on the Schuylkill or in Boston or Baltimore.

Pete
05-14-2007, 09:59 AM
If you look at the calendar at the CHK Boathouse site, you'll see both OU and OCU currently use that facility every day. Are we sure OCU is going to build a boathouse? Perhaps they'll continue to use the CHK one and OU's will be for their exclusive use.

My guess is that the new structure(s) will be immediately east of Chesapeake in order to be in close proximity to the 2000 meter course and all the existing parking and other amenities:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/boathouse.jpg

TStheThird
05-14-2007, 12:42 PM
I was implying that OSU would continue to practice at Carl Blackwell, but build a boathouse on the River for competitions. I do not know of any plans to add women's crew at OSU. I am just presupposing that if they ever did and the Oklahoma River was the center of the Oklahoma rowing scene, they might build a boathouse there.

jbrown84
05-14-2007, 12:51 PM
It seems like a waste to build a boathouse you only use a couple days a year.

CuatrodeMayo
05-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Yea...and a $165 million stadium you only use 6 or 7 times.

jbrown84
05-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Football gets a bit of special treatment around here though. Rowing--not so much.

CuatrodeMayo
05-14-2007, 01:12 PM
165 to 4.

chump change.

AFCM
05-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Let's take this further.

165M to Boone Pickens...chump change.
Having a stadium named in your honor...priceless.

4M to Boone Pickens...drop in the bucket.
Expanding your name to a boathouse on the Oklahoma River, for 40 times less than the football stadium...again, priceless.

OSU doesn't have to be the only one using the boathouse. This would be a good investment if you ask me. I don't think it will happen though.

Pete
05-14-2007, 02:00 PM
If you look at the CHK Boathouse schedule, you'll see that OSU's club team does use it.

Maybe OU will share their facility with OCU (or others) to off-set some of their costs? That would in turn free up the CHK for others.

In any event, with at least the CHK and OU facilities, that is enough to bring a critical mass of activity and events to that area. And things are bound to grow even more from there.

keving
05-17-2007, 01:40 PM
There will be a "boathouse row" east of Byers Bridge. It will consist of at least OCU and OU.

Also, a boathouse is not just used a couple of times a year. They are used all the time. In winter, they can switch to weight training, the rowing machines or an indoor rowing pool, which I believe one of them will have.

OCU also announced awhile back they are going to have a sculling program. If I remember correctly, this will be the only sculling program in the country.

jbrown84
05-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Also, a boathouse is not just used a couple of times a year.

I said that in regards to the idea of OSU having one that they would only use when they competing in OKC.

keving
05-17-2007, 02:14 PM
I said that in regards to the idea of OSU having one that they would only use when they competing in OKC.
Oh yah, sorry about that mistake.

UCO said they were going to build a boathouse at Arcadia but I think they will better situated on the river which is pretty much dedicated to rowing and they won't have to compete with skiiers, fishermen, jet skis, etc. I could see UCO changing their minds on their proposed boathouse location soon.

Snowman
01-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Sounds like OU may have had a change of heart regarding building their boathouse downtown.

OU Regents To Mull Radar Equipment, Rowing Center - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/20670483/ou-regents-to-mull-radar-equipment-rowing-center)

I had seen a another story from either OU's student paper or Norman's paper in the last week or two that this was expected to be a line item waiting to be passed.

Why would they try and build their own facility, when a literally world class Olympic training facility is such a short distance away?

Since it saves a forty minute round trip either on a day they are not on the water or are doing gym sessions in the evening when they did water pieces in the morning.

BoulderSooner
01-28-2013, 06:40 AM
What a dumb decision.

OU is still also building a boathouse ..

Bellaboo
01-28-2013, 07:51 AM
Sounds like OU may have had a change of heart regarding building their boathouse downtown.

OU Regents To Mull Radar Equipment, Rowing Center - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/20670483/ou-regents-to-mull-radar-equipment-rowing-center)

I do not see where they said they were not building a boathouse in this article.

Urbanized
01-28-2013, 09:57 AM
OCU has had an on/near campus rowing facility for years. That way student athletes don't have to make a long drive every day for conditioning. Much of their training happens off of the water, and it especially makes sense for OU, as otherwise their rowers would have to make a 40+ minute round trip every day just to use ergs. They could combine with another workout facility on campus, but rowing training is very specialized and they aren't going to want non-rowers using their equipment, etc.

Building an on-campus training facility for their rowing teams shows MORE commitment to rowing by the university, not less.

OKCisOK4me
01-28-2013, 03:03 PM
That way student athletes don't have to make a long drive every day for conditioning.

Imagine how little of a pain that would be if we had rail transportation!

Snowman
01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Imagine how little of a pain that would be if we had rail transportation!

OU provides a charter bus for the athletes to come out and back

OCU has had an on/near campus rowing facility for years. That way student athletes don't have to make a long drive every day for conditioning. Much of their training happens off of the water, and it especially makes sense for OU, as otherwise their rowers would have to make a 40+ minute round trip every day just to use ergs. They could combine with another workout facility on campus, but rowing training is very specialized and they aren't going to want non-rowers using their equipment, etc.

They have ergs on campus now, it is just in a temporary facility. At one point it was part of the stadium but not sure if it stayed their, I think they have been using the track and field gym for weigts

ou48A
01-28-2013, 03:51 PM
OU will be building an on campus rowing facility that will be located just south of the rugby facilities

OKCisOK4me
01-28-2013, 03:53 PM

void my comment then, lol.

Decious
01-28-2013, 06:05 PM
I do not see where they said they were not building a boathouse in this article.

Right. That's why I said maybe. Was an inference. Hopefully incorrect. Just sharing the article. I hope they still build it. I just wonder whether or not they will build two facilities that duplicate several functions when they are already successfully leasing and using space on the river. IF money and fund allocation is one of the "hold ups" in terms of executing the building of their OK River boathouse... it makes me a lil skeptical when I hear that they are building a mirroring facility... on campus... before they go ahead with construction of a somewhat functionally redundant facility that they announced half a decade ago. Hope they build it. Boulder seems to believe that the plans are still on track. Hopefully he's correct. Peace. :)

OKCisOK4me
01-29-2013, 12:14 AM
I highly doubt they pack their row boats on top of the charter bus when they come up. The facility will probably still be built. They could have done us all a favor and mentioned it in the article just to ease any worries.

BoulderSooner
01-29-2013, 06:36 AM
Right. That's why I said maybe. Was an inference. Hopefully incorrect. Just sharing the article. I hope they still build it. I just wonder whether or not they will build two facilities that duplicate several functions when they are already successfully leasing and using space on the river. IF money and fund allocation is one of the "hold ups" in terms of executing the building of their OK River boathouse... it makes me a lil skeptical when I hear that they are building a mirroring facility... on campus... before they go ahead with construction of a somewhat functionally redundant facility that they announced half a decade ago. Hope they build it. Boulder seems to believe that the plans are still on track. Hopefully he's correct. Peace. :)

it is incorrect .... both facilities are still on the capital plan as partially / fully funded

bombermwc
01-29-2013, 06:48 AM

They have ergs on campus now, it is just in a temporary facility. At one point it was part of the stadium but not sure if it stayed their, I think they have been using the track and field gym for weigts

They moved around a lot while I was at OCU. First they were in the gym, then they moved to an old dance studio in the student union. I'm not sure where they are at the moment, but I wouldn't call what they had, a "training facility" as much as a place to shove some rowing machines. Of course at that time, they practiced at Overhoulser, not the river.

Snowman
01-29-2013, 07:19 AM
They moved around a lot while I was at OCU. First they were in the gym, then they moved to an old dance studio in the student union. I'm not sure where they are at the moment, but I wouldn't call what they had, a "training facility" as much as a place to shove some rowing machines. Of course at that time, they practiced at Overhoulser, not the river.

OCU or OU? I was talking about OU. I did not think OU had a varsity squad till the Chesapeake Boathouse was built.

Snowman
01-29-2013, 04:20 PM
It was approved

Press Release (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/w-rowing/spec-rel/012913aab.html)

Design Renderings (http://www.soonersports.com/view.gal?id=133891)

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/20130128_rowing5.jpg

Pete
01-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Strange they are moving forward with a $6.5 million on-campus row facility (just west of Lloyd Noble) and saying nothing about the OK River boathouse.

Snowman
01-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Strange they are moving forward with a $6.5 million on-campus row facility (just west of Lloyd Noble) and saying nothing about the OK River boathouse.

It seems like less than a quarter of the time when they have ever spoken of either of the projects have they mentioned the other one, except in recruiting material.

BoulderSooner
01-30-2013, 06:18 AM

just south of the tennis center and rugby fields on the south side of Blankenship Blvd

Pete
05-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Very interesting comment in Steve's chat today by a rower; more than one person mentioned this issue:

Currently, with High Performance, OCU, and all the programs that come out of Chesapeake and the Kayaking groups, the Oklahoma River is almost at capacity. With the addition of UCO it will be very crowded and tight scheduling for teams to practice. OU is a MASSIVE team, probably as big as UCO and OCU combined. With how crowded it is on the eastern side of the river where the boathouse district is, OU is perfectly content saying up at Exchange and having that entire area to themselves and their schedule.

He's referring to small boathouse on the south side of the river at Exchange Ave near the stockyards.

I didn't even realize the OU team was based there:

facilities_exchange-boathouse - Oklahoma Sooners (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208803903)

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/w-rowing/auto_bsi_wide/8650304.jpeg

FighttheGoodFight
05-02-2014, 10:51 AM
I love that the river has so much activity. These boathouses all look great.

Pete
05-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Doesn't seem like OU needs a new boathouse... Just won the Big XII for the second year in a row:

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/1024/AV/AVZTSMBATQSJHOI.20140503190311.JPG

http://www.big12sports.com/pics33/1024/QG/QGYXWXZEVBTVKGR.20140503190311.JPG

http://www.big12sports.com/pics33/1024/LP/LPJFOSQVNSIAMMZ.20140503190311.JPG

Dustin
05-03-2014, 07:20 PM
They don't need one, but it will be nice to drive down I35 and see 3 boathouses lit up blue, yellow, and red.

Plutonic Panda
05-03-2014, 08:18 PM
They should build one anyways ;P

PhiAlpha
05-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Steve brings up an interesting point about the main boathouse row area getting crowded. Maybe it will lead to OU either improving the exchange boathouse or building their boathouse farther up the river. Who knows, maybe this could lead to another boathouse row further upstream eventually. I would like to see another boathouse on the row as much as the next person, but it's a long river. Adding more training options on other parts of the river would probably add to its prestige as a great rowing venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete
05-04-2014, 01:02 PM
^

The comment I quoted was from a rower after someone asked on Steve's chat about the delays with the OU Boathouse.

PhiAlpha
05-04-2014, 01:04 PM
^

The comment I quoted was from a rower after someone asked on Steve's chat about the delays with the OU Boathouse.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Interesting none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowman
05-04-2014, 01:27 PM
^

I have some doubt on that quote though, it is very inconsistent with what their public message has been (I think inadequate was the last word I remember it called for long term use), if they were going to using Exchange long term the docks and some basic facilities there should have some upgrades; since it has been reported as fully funded, if they wanted to build it near the Exchange Boathouse or expand it, it seems unlikely anyone will be putting up a fight against it and with how generic the name rename it the OU Boathouse after an expansion seems fine. Plus part of the phase II river projects is installing cameras in the east basin which are planed to record practices to help coaches evaluate technique, maybe they do not plan on utilizing that but it seems surprising they would not look into it first.

Pete
05-04-2014, 02:26 PM
I think they were merely saying that OU is in no rush to build because they have the eastern section of the river to themselves, not that they would build elsewhere or even stay put in the long-term.

Snowman
05-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Only tangentially related, the team showed off the 2014 Big 12 Championship Ring

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BoMOdGcIMAEk2Vo.jpg

bombermwc
05-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Congrats on the Big12. Only 5 schools have crew, but that's up from what it once was! Hopefully it will continue to grow and we'll see a full Big12 representation soon.

It is quite funny how each of the three schools with a boathouse will compete at 3 different divisional levels. On one hand, it's nice because they can each show off their champion status without it being rubbed in the other's faces. Just some good friendly hometown crew supporting each other. It's a unique thing for OKC. I don't know too many cities that have the variety of universities that OKC does...and especially so many that compete at a high level in their respective classes.

Snowman
05-23-2014, 05:24 PM
OU got a shout out from the international governing body of rowing

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BoVE84KCYAAziJe.jpg

Our mission to promote university rowing continues! #FollowFriday for this week is University of Oklahoma. @OU_Rowing