View Full Version : Bond Election for Mid-Del

bombermwc
05-09-2007, 10:44 AM
I just want to thank those that voted for helping to pass Tuesday's bond election at a whopping 80% approval. Now I don't know why anyone would ever vote no on this since it didn't raise taxes...but whatever.

This money now will help complete projects to allow the conversion of the high schools to 9-12 and the jr. highs to middle schools (6-8)...like the rest of the planet.

As an FYI, the new wing they are building on MCHS is being built with monies from a previous bond and isn't tied to the current election. So it would have been completed anyway.

This election will help fund all sorts of things such as repairs to roofs. MCHS had countless buckets all over the school in the recent rain...flat roofs suck. And most exciting for me (being the band nerd that I am), is the largest sum of fine arts money that Mid-Del has ever created (as far as I know). With the additional students at the high schools, we needed to order more instruments so the kids had something to play...and uniforms so they had something to wear!

So we can't thank everyone enough for their continued support of Mid-Del. These elections are how we are able to do these capital projects and we would be in bad shape if it weren't for the awesome community support!!!!:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Millie
05-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Now I don't know why anyone would ever vote no on this since it didn't raise taxes...but whatever.

Not raise, but continue. I think it is a misrepresentation to say that bond elections have no effect on taxes.

bombermwc
05-10-2007, 08:58 AM
I said "didn't raise".

Yes, it continues the same rate as the previous bond, but we already have an extrememly low tax rate. I for one wish they would raise taxes a little so we could provide better tools for the schools....all across the state.

And even if it did raise taxes, it's always a very low increase. And it's not as though the district is irresponsible with its money like OKCPS was. You can trust Mid-Del to spend money on things that it needs to help keep the learning environment for its students in shape. The buildings are old and need updating. It's been an ongoing slow process but things are slowly getting done. Look at the remodeled class rooms across the district and compare them to the old ones. Then tell me some taxes wouldn't be worth it.

Lauri101
05-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I voted yes in Mid-Del and always will, even if the taxes are raised. To me, there is no more important investment than in that of our youth. Both my girls were Jets-Rockets-Bombers and they have both done well as adults.

Besides, Bombers Rule!

soonerfaithful
05-10-2007, 07:38 PM
I voted yes in Mid-Del and always will, even if the taxes are raised. To me, there is no more important investment than in that of our youth. Both my girls were Jets-Rockets-Bombers and they have both done well as adults.

Besides, Bombers Rule!

I also always vote yes. I've never understood why some people don't.
I am a Jets/Rockets/Bomber and have chosen to live in Midwest City so my daughters could go to school here.

Millie
05-10-2007, 07:56 PM
I typically vote yes too. I just think it is false advertising for the bond proponents to leave out the info that taxes could go down if the bond doesn't pass.

bombermwc
05-11-2007, 01:10 PM
How funny cause I was also a Jet/Rocket/Bomber !!!