View Full Version : FloodCanadian River

Karried
05-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Anyone affected by the Flood of 07 ???

Issued at: 12:06 PM CDT 5/08/07, expires at: 12:06 AM CDT 5/9/07

The NWS in norman has issued a flood warning for the north canadian river at oklahoma city,
Until further notice.
At 11 am Tuesday the stage was, 19.9 feet.
Minor flooding is occurring and moderate flooding is forecast.
Flood stage is 17.0 feet.
Forecast, the north canadian river rose above flood stage 10 am Tuesday and will continue rising
to near 21.4 feet this evening. The north canadian river will fall below flood stage 11 am
Wednesday.
At 21 feet, croplands, pastures, and rural roads east of oklahoma city near the towns of spencer
and jones are inundated by significant overflow depths. Spencer is not affected by floodwaters,
while shallow flooding may reach outskirts of jones.
People in flood prone areas should act now to evacuate and move to higher ground. Do not enter
already flooded areas or attempt to cross roadways covered by high water.
Stay tuned for further information by listening to weather radio or local media sources.

Easy180
06-23-2007, 08:58 AM
3 things I noticed driving back from Dallas y-day

1- North Texas needs no more rain until 2010 or so

2- The Red River had actual rapids and was the highest I've ever seen it...Still that beautiful mud color

3- The Winstar had half of Texas in the parking lot on Friday night...That place is making a killing

3 1/2- Our highways suck

JerzeeGrlinOKC
06-23-2007, 10:56 AM
One of the the reasons the North Canadian at Oklahoma City got so high is that they are releasing from Lake Overholser and Lake Hefner because they are near or at capacity, because these sites are downstream from there. At this point, they try to coordinate release flow with incoming flow, which has been pretty significantly high this year compared to the last 5 or so years. That's a good thing considering how low the reservoirs were last year.

I could be wrong but I think this particular site sounds like it is at Britton Road east of populated OKC, and there aren't too many houses in the area (its not like downtown or anything). I don't think it got as high for the June events as it did last month (the one mentioned in the warning).

They (USGS) post water level data at USGS Real-Time Water Data for Oklahoma (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ok/nwis/rt)