View Full Version : Skirvin partners not done in OKC...

metro
05-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Lackmeyer: Return of Skirvin Partners intriguing

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

The Skirvin Hilton opened to rave reviews Feb. 26, so why were Steve Marcus, John Weeman and Bill Otto back in town last week?

The three represent Skirvin Partners, which owns the Skirvin Hilton. Skirvin Partners is a partnership between Marcus Hotels and Resorts and Weeman's Partners in development. Marcus and Otto, chief executive and president, respectively, of Marcus Hotels and Resorts, surely have other tasks to attend to with their Milwaukee-based company. And, as a developer, Weeman's mission must be to launch the next big real estate deal.

If we go with the simple answer, they were attending the black-tie gala Friday for the Arts Council and were just supporting a good cause.

But their continued presence also signifies the men aren't convinced their business is done here in Oklahoma City. Weeman, the "architect” of the deal to renovate and reopen the historic hotel, is even planning to move his residence to Oklahoma City this fall, and coyly teases he is pursuing development of what would be "the most exciting residential project yet” for downtown. He's not publicly giving any more details than that, so we'll have to wait to learn more about what he's up to.

Marcus and Otto's presence builds upon a promise they made in February — they have no plans to be absentee owners. Sitting in the hotel lobby, Marcus demonstrates both an understanding and a thirst for more insight into downtown Oklahoma City's turnaround this past decade.

He's intrigued by the housing being developed within eyeshot of the hotel and is curious about prospects in both nearby Bricktown and Automobile Alley.

Marcus is attempting to forge relationships with local business and civic leaders and spent much of his day Friday in meetings with Roy Williams, president of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, Larry Nichols, chief executive of Devon Energy, City Manager Jim Couch, and David Griffin, president of Griffin Communications.

Marcus is curious about how Harkins Theaters is faring in Lower Bricktown. His company looked at a similar development in downtown Milwaukee, but had concerns over securing enough land for parking. He's also generous in sharing information about triumphs in his hometown, including the successful opening of a downtown grocery store.

He's well aware that downtown Oklahoma City is pursuing a grocery store, and he thinks the right time won't be too far off.

For Milwaukee, he says, the trick was to show enough residential rooftops, including historic neighborhoods surrounding downtown, and a willingness by the city to invest its money in infrastructure and even the building if necessary. Marcus is bullish on Oklahoma City, and is confident more big deals are ahead for downtown.

He's charged his employees at the Skirvin Hilton with being engaged with the community.

They're more than hoteliers — their orders are to become players in what Marcus thinks will be an even bigger production in the near future.

Doug Loudenback
05-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Yeah, I just saw it at NewsOK: Return of Skirvin Partners intriguing (http://newsok.com/article/3050611) ... you beat me to the punch (again)! Verrrrry interesting!

jbrown84
05-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Weeman is moving here? That's GOT to be a good sign.

Easy180
05-08-2007, 07:59 AM
But their continued presence also signifies the men aren't convinced their business is done here in Oklahoma City. Weeman, the "architect” of the deal to renovate and reopen the historic hotel, is even planning to move his residence to Oklahoma City this fall, and coyly teases he is pursuing development of what would be "the most exciting residential project yet” for downtown. He's not publicly giving any more details than that, so we'll have to wait to learn more about what he's up to.

Me likey

metro
05-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Hopefully a new downtown hotel tower with residences.

Pete
05-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Great news and more positive signs and momentum.

However, the comments about Milwaukee as an example for an OKC grocery store are way off base. Milwaukee has -- and alwasy has had -- a huge residential base in it's downtown and immediate areas. It's one of the very few cities that didn't clear out big areas for urban renewal and there has been a downtown mall there, for example, for decades.

If OKC ever approaches 1/5th of what Milwaukee has in terms of residential, culture and retail in it's downtown area, I'll be thrilled. Hopefully with this investment group, they'll bring some of that development with them.

Here's a post I made after a trip last summer to Brew Town:

Milwaukee = Wow! (http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/7097-milwaukee-wow.html?highlight=milwaukee)

okclee
05-08-2007, 08:22 AM
We can never have enough quality architects that have a vision for our city, working and living in Okc. It is always good to see outside people get excited after seeing our downtown resurgance.

jbrown84
05-08-2007, 09:11 AM
An architect relocating to a city--doesn't that often happen when they are overseeing a major, major project over several years?

Pete
05-08-2007, 09:15 AM
It's pretty clear this group sees tremendous potential in OKC and can bring something we sorely need: an outside perspective.

I'm all for local developers but it would sure be nice to have someone with direct experience in successful urban planning and development. And as I've said, Milwaukee provides a great model.

Misty
05-08-2007, 12:04 PM
This is exciting news! I'd love to see some affordable condos for sale downtown with reasonable HOA fees.

okclee
05-08-2007, 01:56 PM
This is probably nothing and not related to this, but today I saw survey engineers working on the vacant piece of land downtown. The corner lot of Sheridan and Walker, and California and Dewey. There were quite a few workers out in the field with the equipment and trucks for the survey.

Could this be someting big or just a random survey?

floater
05-08-2007, 02:19 PM
An architect relocating to a city--doesn't that often happen when they are overseeing a major, major project over several years?

Well, technically, he's not an architect, but the financier/developer who put the Skirvin deal together with Marcus and the city.

But this awesome news. I can understand leaders wanting to stay local, with architects/developers who are committed to the city and know how it works, but these guys liked their experience and want to continue working with OKC. Yeah we need more of this to happen.

Steve
05-08-2007, 03:50 PM
John Weeman is a developer, not an architect. I used the term "architect" in quote marks so as to describe him as the person in the partnership who put the deal together.
-Steve

jbrown84
05-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

I missed the quotes.

Where is Weeman based currently?

OKC PATROL
05-08-2007, 04:13 PM
I will be happy with anyone but- IM PEI/Biltmore along with 50 more historic buidings gone- bye bye! What a vision of destruction he had. - Oh, Im sorry I still cant get over the complete mess he made.

BG918
05-08-2007, 04:38 PM
In my personal vision for downtown OKC I would like to see two more upscale hotels with upper floor condos built in the CBD. A highrise Hyatt by the Ford Center and new blvd. that could anchor a retail district there and an Omni at the vast parking lot at 5th and Broadway that could anchor a retail district in Auto Alley along Broadway into midtown.

Also more in the way of "affordable" housing in Bricktown. That area is where young people would want to live but right now there aren't many options and what's there is expensive. The Centennial, Toby Keith's and the Residence Inn are embarrasments on the canal and need to be redeveloped by responsible developers like these guys from Milwaukee. Look at JDM Place, Nonna's, or the Bricktown Ballpark for examples of GOOD Bricktown development and then look at the aforementioned properties, it's horrible. The developer that wants to develop the canal property along Mickey Mantle seems to have the right idea, maybe if he's successful he can undo the mess that Jim Brewer has left behind in Lower Bricktown.

As far as retail/restaurants in Bricktown, they should be concentrated along the canal which is the biggest problem I have with Brewer's properties. The one that does have canalfront space, The Centennial, won't even be all brick and has parking on three sides! So my hope is that these Milwaukee developers first and foremost build a highrise because the skyline needs more towers and also that they are successful so they can do some projects in Bricktown as well.

Sorry for the rant, let's hope this is good news!

Spartan
05-08-2007, 04:40 PM
His area code is Dallas.

Boy this thread has been a real rorschach test for sure.

jbrown84
05-08-2007, 09:01 PM
BG, Brewer didn't develop Lower Bricktown, Randy Hogan did.

Spartan
05-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Brewer is more of an undeveloper. That's the difference between he and Hogan.

okclee
05-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Another thing about Lower Bricktown, somehow Okc did not require the same building codes and standards as in old Bricktown. Therefore it is not required to use brick and you can build crappy fish and tackle stores with endless amount of blacktop for parking lots. Go figure.

BG918
05-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Oh yes, Randy Hogan, he's the one. Not sure what I was thinking, although Brewer isn't much better. Poor planning on the part of the city though to let Lower Bricktown get developed in that way potentially ruining the momentum Bricktown had after the upper portion of the canal was (and still is) such a success. Now visitors must wonder what happened when they cross under Reno on a canalboat. I believe with Core to Shore planning to extend Bricktown (hopefully) the city will impose design restrictions along the southern end of the canal and possible extension and through time (and money) Lower Bricktown will be redeveloped into what it should be, which is a continuation of the BRICK, multi-story warehouse-style buildings that make the district so unique.

Look at LoDo in Denver for examples of how new buildings in an old warehouse district should be designed. Or simply look at newer buildings in Bricktown like JDM Place, and then look at The Centennial or Toby Keith's. The difference is night and day!

kevinpate
05-09-2007, 07:20 AM
... somehow Okc did not require the same building codes and standards as in old Bricktown. Therefore it is not required to use brick and you can build crappy fish and tackle stores with endless amount of blacktop for parking lots. Go figure.

Was it a do as I say & not as I do situation? I did not follow the fish pro deal closely, but my memory, which may or may nor be correct, is that the city built the place, and the subsequent parking expansion to the south. Doesn't the city own the property with the fish folks leasing it from them?

jbrown84
05-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Now visitors must wonder what happened when they cross under Reno on a canalboat.

I honestly don't believe the average person notices.

BG918
05-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I honestly don't believe the average person notices.

Maybe not every person, but I've taken a few people from out of state on the canal and they LOVE the original part with the brick warehouses soaring above them with canalfront restaurants on both sides. And then we get to the vacant lots along Mickey Mantle and they asked when these were supposed to be developed, and I said hopefully soon as there are tentative plans in place. And then they see the theater and like it but wonder why it didn't have more canal-level restaurants or even a canal-level grand entrance? And then traveling down further they said it felt like an office park with Sonic, the Residence Inn, Toby Keith's (which they thought was extremely tacky, and I agree) and the Bass Pro parking lot.

Not a good impression, and it easily could have been different had these properties been developed like the original Bricktown buildings, as the city requires them to be north of Reno. OKC is fairly progressive in its ideas and vision for downtown, but Lower Bricktown was incredibly short-sighted and the fact that the city let it happen will forever be a black eye. Unless of course it is redeveloped, which I imagine will happen especially if the canal is extended further to the south and west. It will be too important to be lined with office buildings and parking lots.