View Full Version : Wiley Post Airport

Blairman
05-07-2007, 02:04 PM
I was driving on Wilshire between Rockwell and Council and noticed some sort of blacktop path running along the north side of the fence.

My question , is this for hte airport or is this a jogging/biking path ? I did not see any runners or bikers so I was not sure

Thanks

metro
05-07-2007, 03:14 PM
it's part of the citywide bike trails that connect lake hefner to lake overholser.

Jack Wonder
05-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Is Wiley Post airport mostly for private business use, or small commercial shipping or what??

writerranger
05-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Here 'ya go....Description from Wikipedia...

Wiley Post Airport (IATA: PWA, ICAO: KPWA) is a public airport located seven miles (11 km) northwest of Oklahoma City, in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, USA. It was named after Wiley Post, the first pilot to fly solo around the world.

It is the FAA-designated reliever airport for Will Rogers World Airport and serves business and corporate air travelers and functions as a lively center for general aviation. In addition, the northwest Oklahoma City airport provides a thriving environment for aviation-related industry. In 2003 Wiley Post logged 75,771 flight operations. This figure accounts for only those operations logged by the air traffic control tower which is open daily from 7 A.M. until 10 P.M.

The airport provides a base for over 300 aircraft in its fully leased hangars. These range from single and twin engine planes to turboprop and jet aircraft. A growing number of licensed private pilots consider Wiley Post their airport home, and their activities give the facility a strong community orientation.
Wiley Post Airport at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiley_Post_Airport)

-----------------

jbrown84
05-07-2007, 07:32 PM
7 miles NW of Oklahoma City?

John
05-07-2007, 07:52 PM
7 miles NW of Oklahoma City?

I think they mean 7 mi NW of 'city center', if that makes sense.

Blairman
05-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks Metro for the info

Is there a proposed trail map ? I went to okc.gov and they showed the Lake Hefner trails, but man that is a stretch down to Wiley Post.

I was in hopes that it would just circle the airport, but this looks like a much bigger project

jbrown84
05-07-2007, 08:29 PM
It's on okc.gov somewhere.

BailJumper
05-08-2007, 05:44 AM
City of Oklahoma City | Hefner-Overholser Trail (http://www.okc.gov/trails/hefover_trail.html)

Lots of 'wills' and 'shoulds,' so I guess that means it isn't done yet.

metro
05-08-2007, 07:24 AM
I think they mean 7 mi NW of 'city center', if that makes sense.

Plus, it's in Bethany (at least part of it), but John's right, 7 mi from city center.

metro
05-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Blairman, see the link bailjumper posted to the trail map. Eventually the entire city will be connected by a system of bike trails, including overholser to the river and the river to lake stanley draper and to norman and such.

CCOKC
05-08-2007, 01:30 PM
If you go down Macarthur north of NWE you can see how these trails will connect to Lake Hefner. I haven't been this way for a couple of weeks but the last time I was there the grading was being done. I think if it weren't for all of the rain it might be close to done by now. Surely by the end of summer. My only question is how the trail will cross NWE. The most logical would be a bridge or tunnell but I can't see that happening because of the expense.

Blairman
05-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the info, but it looks like people using the trails with have to play dodgem with the cars as they go through the intersections.

Once again for the info, OKC talk is OKC's News Source

metro
08-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission approves grant for Wiley Post Airport taxiway improvements

8/20/2007

The Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission announced today it has approved a $163,684 grant to Wiley Post Airport, located on Rockwell Ave. between NW 50th and NW 63rd streets.

The grant will be used toward the first of three phases to reconstruct and strengthen the airport’s parallel taxiway. The first phase will cost more than $2.7 million and phases two and three should cost an additional $5 million; commissioners expect federal funds to cover most of the costs.

“Wiley Post plays a crucial role in Oklahoma’s economy, especially in central Oklahoma, by providing a means for business and industry to transport commerce throughout the state,” Commission Director Victor Bird said in a statement. “As with all of our community airports, Wiley Post serves as a gateway to the world for many people and businesses such as Dobson Communications, Express Personnel Services, MidFirst Bank and Mathis Brothers Furniture.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OKCBusiness, Copyright © 2007, All Rights Reserved.

Saberman
08-21-2007, 10:27 AM
I beleive that they used city right of ways for the trails connecting to lake overholser. It was a joint project with the diffrent cities. All the street crossings are at intersections that have stop lights, for easier crossing.

The trail down MacArthur is nearly complete.

The accident that happened about 2 weeks age where the young man was run down by the dump truck, was on the west side of Wiley Post Airport were they were constructing that part of the trail.